OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:31

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 14:26 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Next, where are you from? Did I detect an accent in your video?

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 14:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Japsican wrote:

Born in Nigeria.

Went into Shadow mode yesterday. Enjoy.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2015, 23:47 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
NextLevel wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Born in Nigeria.

Ah! Ecaro...or is it Kedu? Half the people I work with at my hopital are Nigerian, Igbo or Yoruba and most of them are ladies who have fed me during my time on the floor. I'm now hopelessly addicted to Jelof Rice and FuFu. I LOVE all west African food. (Sorry for the hijack, but I'm a culture nut).

NextLevel, if you ever come to a DC tournament again, we need to meet. :up:

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 23:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Japsican wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Japsican wrote:

Born in Nigeria.

Ah! Ecaro...or is it Kedu? Half the people I work with at my hopital are Nigerian, Igbo or Yoruba and most of them are ladies who have fed me during my time on the floor. I'm now hopelessly addicted to Jelof Rice and FuFu. I LOVE all west African food. (Sorry for the hijack, but I'm a culture nut).

NextLevel, if you ever come to a DC tournament again, we need to meet. :up:

Ekaro!

Yeah, if I ever... I need to come back down there again to be frank. Will find some time - I need to hit a little with Ringer84 and play some of the new terrors at MDTTC etc. Have to get them when they are really younglings - when they grow fangs, beating them becomes too hard... I beat Tiffany when she was an underrated 1400 and I haven't beaten her since... yes, I know, I know, it's bad to beat younglings, but I have to do it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 06:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Two blocking videos. IT's amazing how much I block during matches, and how little practice I have doing it. IT's a good and a bad thing, because I finally get to practice good technique and even though I blocked well with suboptimal technique, I think the fact that I was mostly winging it might help with replacing it fairly fast.

The main difference in my new block and my old block is the elbow position. I think more than any other shot, the block is affected significantly by the elbow position. What I am noticing though that how I block is related to the contact points on my loops because of the elbow position but I think with this in mind and since I have a high level robot, I can try a few good things. USually, I wouldn't block with a robot, but I have come to trust the Amicus.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 14:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

The six best videos I know for building advanced backhand looping technique - enjoy.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 14:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes, great videos! :up: :up: :up:

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 14:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

So I have always been susceptible to slow heavy topspin high. Here is my practice. I still need to work on my stance issues, especially when using my forehand, but this is a start. The main element of the technique is a hook or fade to get spin avoidance and give the ball margin.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 04:05 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I like your approach to impacting the ball a little off axis. It is a safe option and keeps you in the point, sometimes wins it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 04:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Der_Echte wrote:
I like your approach to impacting the ball a little off axis. It is a safe option and keeps you in the point, sometimes wins it.

Thanks - I wish it was my approach but I am just copying Brett's video.

Those are some of the highest spin settings on my robot so I was actually surprised to keep the ball on the table. The first time I nail this in a match, the feeling will be epic.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 21:29 

In a rally where I am a step or more off the table, and my opponent hits a fast and spinny ball to my crossover, I bend or take a small quick step left and impact the ball similarly by making impact on right side of the ball to slow it down some and control the heavy incoming topspin.

This shot keeps me in the point, gives me time to get back in the point and often my placement gets me a ball to attack.

Last edited by Der_Echte on 09 Oct 2015, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 21:33 

This is really the same impact point of a hookshot, but the shot is totally different. I use a loose wrist and a little less solid impact. I slow the ball down and the touch and impact makes the ball break wide and shallow FH but doesn't kick out to the rear barrier.

The change of pace and the control you get are super. Opponent expects you to crush the ball but you are doing a control hookshot soft and it wrecks havoc in a couple ways.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 22:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
In a rally where I am a step or more off the table, and my opponent hits a fast and spinny ball to my crossover, I bend or take a small quick step left and impact the ball similarly by making impact on right side of the ball to slow it down some and control the heavy incoming topspin.

This shot keeps me in the point, gives me time to get back in the point and often my placement gets me a ball to attack.

When I get a fast, spinny ball right at my elbow I stand up straight, jump backwards about 18 inches, hold my bat straight up like a lollipop, and block the ball 20 feet off the table. But that's just me.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2015, 23:10 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Playing to the middle is effective mostly because 1) it forces movement to get off a power shot, and many people hate to move or have bad footwork and 2) most people haven't trained a specific sequence for defending the middle and become paralyzed when asked to invent that sequence in real time.

The key is to always get used to recovering to cover the angle of play close to the table in a rally or to your preferred rally start point. Assuming you don't want to lean to play a shot, if you train more and more forehand pivot and crossover footwork, your middle tends to vanish pretty quickly unless you are a tall and exhausted (okay, lazy) BH oriented player like me - going to the middle is really supposed to force this sequence from an active player. The alternative is to use BH footwork, and people work on that even less and find the recovery less natural, but it is even more critical to get back to where you moved from as moving to use the backhand exposes the wide backhand where many players have very limited reach (I do too, but have some long armed options).

So I don't overthink it. While I will practice it at some point, I think the problem will take care of itself with improved mobility and anticipation as then, I will have the tools to actually drill in the specific sequences subconsciously.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 18:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I have a promise not to EJ till the end of 2015, but I am struggling to get easy spin out of MX-S - my strokes on both sides are getting too large. We will see how it goes. I will almost definitely go to something slower and softer on the BH side next year - I think I am compromising my BH opener by using something this hard there. The thing about MX-S is the arc is great when you swing hard, but I don't swing hard enough over the table on short balls to take advantage of it. People using T80 FX and T80 with slower swings than mine are doing well over the table. That makes no sense to me. My BH technique is good enough now that if you serve me short, you should be picking up the ball at my level more often than not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 404 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 27  Next