OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 70  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zen of chopping
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 04:40 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lorre, in your experience, do you tend to default to a loose grip on those pushes, or do you tend to keep the same grip pressure for all BH LP Strokes? I find it helpful to add dwell when I need it loose grip, and then reduce it with a firm grip when I want more slipperiness from the pips....assuming I am mindful enough at the time.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 07:14 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Japsican wrote:
Lorre, in your experience, do you tend to default to a loose grip on those pushes, or do you tend to keep the same grip pressure for all BH LP Strokes? I find it helpful to add dwell when I need it loose grip, and then reduce it with a firm grip when I want more slipperiness from the pips....assuming I am mindful enough at the time.

I don't pay attention to things like that. I go with the feedback the ball gives to me feeling wise.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 18:22 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Yeah I had a lot of bad breaks in that game, but had a say in it Jaspicon, you were the only player in group stage that tourney to take a game from me before the group A giant round robin group slaughter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 18:24 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Another thing you should consider is a soft hand but take it right off the bounce.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 18:53 

Blade: JSH
FH: Barracuda 2.0
BH: Curl P2 0.5
pgpg wrote:
As I think about the changes I'm more or less forced to make with switch to P1-r, it feels like every time I tried to do a 'LP bump' against backspin with my BH, it ended in the net much more than I like (more grip compared to DG??), so I'm mostly avoiding it for now in matches. Sideswipe receive works reasonably well, though.

I recently switched as well from ox (agenda) to p1r 1mm. There were many things I liked but returning short backspin balls were horrible. Last friday I tried the p2 0.5mm instead and the control is amazing. Like with ox the p2 allows aggressive pushes on backspin. Attacking is a dream as well although the max backsping on loops will be lower.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2016, 08:56 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Weekend at the club was somewhat bipolar: I was tired on Saturday but went anyway. Did not play sharp and lost to a guy I usually don't, at least lately.

Today was somewhat better: had two very good matches against stronger players, lost one and won one, both going to 5 games. In the win, had to adjust mid match by doing the obvious thing: drop back after the serve to get more time to react to the incoming attack. Suddenly I was winning 11:5 instead of losing 4:11 8) . However, I also lost in 5 to a guy ~300 points below me, so there is that. That match was a pushfest, with me making the most of mistakes on BH.

My LP game close to the table struggles a bit right now - it somehow became 'push everything', which I suspect is not really a winning strategy. Need to reacquire the feel for the ball and confidence, may be try twiddling a bit too.

P.S. After watching Kim Song I vs. Ishikawa at the Olympics, I decided to adopt the practice of talking to myself and nodding while smiling after missed shots and opponent's edges. Should be better for the mental game than swearing and yelling I do 'sometimes'. 8) :@ :?:

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 11:06 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

As a follow up: I was thinking more about dropping back, or, in general, how to manage distance to the table.

With some opponents I know they will attack my serve by flicking a short(ish) one and looping the long one (half long is safer, but hard to execute consistently) - here I can pretty much start moving backwards even before my ball crossed the net after the serve. Probably better off serving long to their BH as well, to get into chopping rally ASAP.

Others are less aggressive, either because they can't attack reliably or perhaps they are smart and try to play soft over the table into my BH etc. Here I tend to be stuck too close to the table and become vulnerable to quick hit. Dropping back immediately after the serve (or receive) does not make a lot of sense, or does it?

So, the question is - what is the best way to decide how far I need to be? Should I drop back only after I read my opponent's shot correctly?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 11:47 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Why not decide depending on the shot you give and also by your opponents moves.

If you give him a shot he has to move a lot for in order to make a strong loop then maybe don't drop back and get ready for a counter loop or an attack or an easy chop....if you purposely give him one he can loop with ease. Make sure you go back fast!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 23:19 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Another frustrating league night - 1:4, and losses were not particularly close. Did not get too angry (on the outside), but was stewing mightily on the inside. Oh, and my opponents outdid me in nets/edges at least 3:1, or it sure felt that way.

BH is still suspect and this time had trouble on FH too, especially against slow spinny stuff (being further away from the table hurts here). Tried to move away from the table intelligently, but hard to say how well it went, especially given the results.

A friend told me after watching one of my matches that I tend to keep my paddle too far on FH side during play, as opposed to more neutral center position, which I guess can cause quite a few issues.

P.S. Severely tempted to go back to OX :?: Must resist...

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 11:34 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Slow and spinny on the forehand is difficult for every defensive player.

Try one of these three options....twiddle and chop with the long pips

Side spin block/low lob like Chen weixing.

Dont go back to far to fast. Try to judge how hard your opponent can hit your previous shot.

Don't go to ox just yet. Give it time.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 11:51 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Did not pick up a paddle for a week until tonight - was away for a long weekend getaway, which was TT-free. So went into Tuesday league pretty 'cold', but did quite well, going 3:3.

Could've been 4:2, but I squandered a nice 2:0 lead against my nemesis blocker in the very first match - fortunately did not blow a gasket and kept plugging along through the night. Feels like I'm close to solving him, but still have a few missing pieces. Got nice wins against higher-ranked players, so it should help with league rating which was dropping for the last month and was dangerously close to falling below 1800. Yes, ratings are overrated (duh!), but it's a psychological burden, however small.

Things improved a bit after some time off from TT: BH was more stable and I partially re-discovered LP attacking shot which came in useful a few times. Still wasted several LP pushes, but it felt more stable tonight. Had a presence of mind to remember how I played one particular opponent 2 weeks ago (lost 2:3 then), and this time beat him 3:0 (ok, it was his first match and he was a bit 'cold'), for the first time victory as well.

Sideswipe return with LP was more successful as well, but need to experiment with it more. FH was reliable enough.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 01:09 

pgpg,

I feel your pain. There are a lot of userful things with OX standing at the table which use borrowed spin from the attacker...like hits, agressive pushes, and bumps. You can do all of that with 0.5mm, but much of the spin will be scrubbed off so just adjust your bat angle. When i switched back and forth, I was astounded at how much adjustment time I needed. Can you do multiball with someone? A few sessions will take care of that and you'll have many of your old OX strokes back in your repertoire with the P-1R.

With the super spinny loops to the FH, I have that exact issue, but only against certain players (like Der_Echte). I find that most people don't have that shot in their repertoire, but when they do it's a pain. Even rarer are those that can alternate between VERY spinny loops with pace and very spinny loops without pace.

My method is to fish/guide/block with sidespin (like leatherback suggested) if I don't have time, or to do a sidespin chop like Chtchetinine (Harder). The sidespin stroke for spin avoidance works well here, but....my issue is reading the shot as slow and spinny in time. I am still not seeing it fast enough to avoid backing up too much...and then it's too late. I don't hear the muted contact or recognize the brushing action that those shots have. I think I need to drill with someone and have them loop to my FH and then do one slow spinn loop so I can start discerning the difference.

Also, my club is the louded GD club in the world so not sure I'd hear it anyway.

PS, there are 2 sidespin lob/guide/blocks you can do, the Chen W version (out toward the FH side) or the Shiono method (Swipe toward the BH side). I actually am more consistent with the SHiono version on my FH. I find I short arm it when doing the Chen version, which is more popular it seems.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 01:09 

pgpg,

I feel your pain. There are a lot of userful things with OX standing at the table which use borrowed spin from the attacker...like hits, agressive pushes, and bumps. You can do all of that with 0.5mm, but much of the spin will be scrubbed off so just adjust your bat angle. When i switched back and forth, I was astounded at how much adjustment time I needed. Can you do multiball with someone? A few sessions will take care of that and you'll have many of your old OX strokes back in your repertoire with the P-1R.

With the super spinny loops to the FH, I have that exact issue, but only against certain players (like Der_Echte). I find that most people don't have that shot in their repertoire, but when they do it's a pain. Even rarer are those that can alternate between VERY spinny loops with pace and very spinny loops without pace.

My method is to fish/guide/block with sidespin (like leatherback suggested) if I don't have time, or to do a sidespin chop like Chtchetinine (Harder). The sidespin stroke for spin avoidance works well here, but....my issue is reading the shot as slow and spinny in time to do it. I am still not seeing it fast enough to avoid backing up too much...and then it's too late. I don't hear the muted contact or recognize the brushing action that those shots have. I think I need to drill with someone and have them do several normal fast loops to my FH and then mix in slow spinny loops every now and then so I can start discerning the difference.

Also, my club is the loudest GD club in the world so not sure I'd hear it anyway.

PS, there are 2 sidespin lob/guide/blocks you can do, the Chen W version (out toward the FH side) or the Shiono method (Swipe toward the BH side). I actually am more consistent with the SHiono version on my FH. I find I short arm it when doing the Chen version, which is more popular it seems.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 01:53 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Japsican wrote:
pgpg,

My method is to fish/guide/block with sidespin (like leatherback suggested) if I don't have time, or to do a sidespin chop like Chtchetinine (Harder). The sidespin stroke for spin avoidance works well here, but....my issue is reading the shot as slow and spinny in time. I am still not seeing it fast enough to avoid backing up too much...and then it's too late. I don't hear the muted contact or recognize the brushing action that those shots have. I think I need to drill with someone and have them loop to my FH and then do one slow spinn loop so I can start discerning the difference.

Also, my club is the louded GD club in the world so not sure I'd hear it anyway.

Double post - really trying to get your points across, Japsican? ;) :o

Regarding adjustment to P1-r: I think the biggest factor is not the sponge (0.5 vs. OX) but difference in pips themselves. P1-r seems to be very different from DG, not sure if you feel the same. As an example, I also have Air UpUpUp in 0.6 mm and it plays almost like OX - disturbance is off the charts.

No immediate multiball opportunity, but may be I could arrange a 'date' with training-minded clubmates, there are a couple around.

I think I recognize when incoming shot has too much spin (mostly worry about slow ones here) - and have mixed success with sidespin 'fish/block' when I am in position - I only attempt Shiono flavor, though, judging by descriptions you gave. Need to watch more of their videos, and Schetinin's too (his last name spelling as Chtchetinine makes no sense to me |( )

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2016, 11:25 

Hmm..you're right... I did some edits due to spelling and grammar and it posted again. Strange. But YES! I WAS VERY PASSIONATE ABOUT THAT! CHO! CARBS! (A little ttdaily humor there ;) ).

Anyway, you are correct, I feel the same way as you about P-1R vs. DG. They are nothing alike. It's definitely due to both sponge and topsheet that make them different. DG is tons slipperier. For chopping DG is a one-trick pony, but dang it's a good trick! The catch: it's only damn good... WHEN you have the right opponent! I think this is why Ericson and Akerstrom seem to struggle vs. certain types of players.

So in the end, for chopping, P-1R is so much more versatile, and has far more upside IMO because you rely less on your opponent's spin. People can disagree (and will) but that's how I feel. The fact that you can vary spin and scrub off spin makes it more unpredictable...whether the varying is intentional or not. And for me, sponge is better in serve return.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1043 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 70  Next