OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 10:42 

alex5908 wrote:
Hello everybody,
In August I will go to London, UK and Paris, Fr for 4 days in each city and wanted to buy Tenergy 05 and 64.

iskandar taib wrote:
What is VAT in France, though? I suppose the Euro is relatively low at this point in time.

Eu56.90 including the VAT for one Tenergy.

I am an offensive player and prefer to play close to the table and in mid zone. I try to attack at the slightest possibility and exercise pressure on my opponent with every ball. It's mostly blocking from BH and drive looping from FH.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2015, 13:56 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

VAT ("Taxe sur la valeur ajoutée") in France - 20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_U ... _Added_Tax

That means if they send you the rubber in Canada the price would be EUR47.42 (plus shipping). You can try to get back the money at the airport, though - never did this in France but in the Netherlands I took the stuff I bought to an office at the airport with the receipt and with a letter saying I had deregistered from the town I was staying in and they gave me a letter which I mailed to the vendor (who was in Germany!), who credited my credit card.

For comparison, Paddle Palace wants USD68, and since USD1.13 = EUR1.00 at this time, that translates to EUR60.20. So it's cheaper in Europe even without the VAT break, but it'll be even nicer with it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 23:05 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
On the topic of buying Tenergy from a reputable source in the UK & France at the cheapest price - I sent an email to Butterfly Germany. On their reply they said that Teesport was their appointed agent for Ireland.

Teesport offer preferential Euro prices so at their current 'discounted' prices a T05 will cost €61.49. There is an option to select either Euro or sterling prices.

If you order on-line and get it delivered to a UK address P&P costs €3.68 for standard and express €6.14
If you order more than one rubber the delivery appears to be free.

Depending on the Euro to dollar rate (it was €1 to $1.04 it's now back to $1.13) it not really any cheaper to what you're currently paying in the NA. Your shop in Paris still seems to work out cheaper if you go in person.

For me to get them delivered to Ireland involves a courier delivery of €23.36, It is possible to get around that by using Parcel motel which re-directs any delivery from Northern Ireland (only incurs the standard P&P) to the Republic.

EDIT: Exchange rate fluctuations.

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2015, 23:55 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

OK so EUR61.49 plus EUR3.68 = EUR65.17 delivered in London (I suppose this includes VAT). Paddle Palace price is $67.99, which equals EUR60.70. Don't know what Paddle Palace charges to ship to Canada, though.

I suppose there's a way to get VAT back, too.. It's 20% in the UK.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 19:50 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
OK so EUR61.49 plus EUR3.68 = EUR65.17 delivered in London (I suppose this includes VAT). Paddle Palace price is $67.99, which equals EUR60.70. Don't know what Paddle Palace charges to ship to Canada, though.

I suppose there's a way to get VAT back, too.. It's 20% in the UK.

Iskandar

Paddle Palace web site states $6 from the US to Canada so the UK Teesport works out marginally cheaper. If you order more than 1 rubber post is free. Unsure if there would be an additional exposure for sales and duty tax to Canada from the US.

Getting the VAT back is the key saving. Doing an over the counter deal in the French shop may not get you a proper till receipt whilst with Teesport a proper receipt will be issued showing the VAT. So getting a Tenergy for a net $55-60 (Exchange rate of €1 to $1.13) might make it all worth while.

Plus if I was spending a limited amount of time in Paris the last place that I would be allowed to go with my OH is a TT shop unless I had raked up some serious brownie points. :)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 20:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose if you were getting the VAT back it'd definitely be worth getting 2 or 3 sheets... ;)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2015, 20:32 
Super User

Multispoke wrote:
On the topic of buying Tenergy from a reputable source in the UK & France at the cheapest price - I sent an email to Butterfly Germany. On their reply they said that Teesport was their appointed agent for Ireland.

Teesport offer preferential Euro prices so at their current 'discounted' prices a T05 will cost €61.49. There is an option to select either Euro or sterling prices.

If you order on-line and get it delivered to a UK address P&P costs €3.68 for standard and express €6.14
If you order more than one rubber the delivery appears to be free.

Depending on the Euro to dollar rate (it was €1 to $1.04 it's now back to $1.13) it not really any cheaper to what you're currently paying in the NA. Your shop in Paris still seems to work out cheaper if you go in person.

For me to get them delivered to Ireland involves a courier delivery of €23.36, It is possible to get around that by using Parcel motel which re-directs any delivery from Northern Ireland (only incurs the standard P&P) to the Republic.

EDIT: Exchange rate fluctuations.

Few mistakes in the above post :oops:

The Euro prices quoted are not real figures - it is at an old exchange rate.
It is not possible to opt for delivery to Northern Ireland for the free post if you are in 'Euro' mode.
When you go to pay for the order despite setting up the order for Euro it goes back to the Sterling quoted rates and converts it to the current Euro exchange rate.
e.g. when the basket shows that your order is €250 it becomes €300 when you go to pay via Paypal.
A Tenergy costing £44.99 plus £2.99 P&P to N.I. converts to €71.03 at an exchange rate of €1.48 to £1 !
There are no discounted Euro rates at Teesport.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2015, 23:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
What if you order from outside the Euro zone? Does the postage kill it, or does the Customs make it un-viable?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 09:12 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
What if you order from outside the Euro zone? Does the postage kill it, or does the Customs make it un-viable?

They only do Courier delivery outside of the UK so compared to normal post it would be more expensive.
Imagine that if it was outside of the Eurozone they would not charge VAT - maybe someone could try it out and see if it's levied. If a courier is used there may be less likelihood of getting caught for duties / VAT. Real problem is the exchange rate. Currently 1 to 1.42 but when using Paypal it ends up as 1 to 1.48.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 10:35 

I will buy Tenergy 05/64 for $61.6 (no VAT and delivery charge) in Minsk, Belarus- my home town where I will stay for 10 days before going to Paris/London.
Sorry for the off-top for those living in London/Paris.
What is the US$ exchange rate for Euro and pounds? I mean if I should buy euros and pounds in Canada or buy it in London/Paris.
In Toronto the exchange rate of US$ to CAD is 1.33 at http://www.kantor.ca/foreign_exchange_t ... 244cms.htm.
Do they take US$ in shops in Paris/London?

I am an offensive player and prefer to play close to the table and in mid zone. I try to attack at the slightest possibility and exercise pressure on my opponent with every ball. It's mostly blocking from BH and drive looping from FH.

Last edited by alex5908 on 04 Aug 2015, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2015, 20:17 
Super User

alex5908 wrote:
What is the US$ exchange rate for Euro and pounds? I mean if I should buy euros and pounds in Canada or buy it in London/Paris.
In Toronto the exchange rate of US$ to CAD is 1.33 at http://www.kantor.ca/foreign_exchange_t ... 244cms.htm.
Do they take US$ in shops in Paris/London?

General rule of thumb is to have some Euros before going over to Europe and exchange your dollars when you get here. Worthwhile checking with your bank if you can use your debit card in the ATMs but check on their charges. You may have to get a new ATM card / account to reduce these charges. Airport exchange rates are not good but could be slightly better than what you would get in NA. Using Dollars in Europe will result in a poor exchange rate. Also worthwhile putting extra money in your Credit card so that you can do a cash advance to avoid interest charges. Sometimes a Debit card can get swallowed by an ATM.

At least you have good buying power with the weakness of the Euro. But given the strength of Sterling London will prove relatively expensive.

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/cash-tips

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 19:06 

Multispoke wrote:
Sometimes it possible to source them from eastern Europe e.g. Slovakia

Slovakia is Central Europe (just saying) ;) We don't speak russian or something...
And if you are interested, Tenergies cost here 52€.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2015, 21:09 

carbon136 wrote:
We don't speak russian or something...

What did you mean by that?

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 00:33 
Super User

carbon136 wrote:
Multispoke wrote:

Slovakia is Central Europe (just saying) ;) We don't speak russian or something...

That's a great price. It's a pity that you cannot supply them.

In describing Slovakia as being in Eastern Europe it was probably from the cold I experienced in Prague (Czeck republic) in late October a few years ago. Wiki seem to classify Slovakia as being in Eastern Europe but you probably have good reason for believing it's in Central Europe.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2015, 03:48 

Multispoke wrote:
carbon136 wrote:
Multispoke wrote:

That's a great price. It's a pity that you cannot supply them.

In describing Slovakia as being in Eastern Europe it was probably from the cold I experienced in Prague (Czeck republic) in late October a few years ago. Wiki seem to classify Slovakia as being in Eastern Europe but you probably have good reason for believing it's in Central Europe.

You sure with wiki? ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia

I thought we have high prices due to lack of retailers, but I was probably wrong... I don't know how it is in other countries, but now I can find Adidas products with nice discounts, as they are selling them out. I ordered yesterday a new Avenger Carbon blade for 30€(!), and for example, P7 rubber costs 30€ too, Xiom Omega Tour blade 70€, while on t11.com it costs 170€! :cash: :cash: