OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 06:06 

I will use Viper Red OX on my very fast TSP Balsa 8.5 this weekend in Pensacola, FL. I am really impressed with how low the ball stays off the bounce on many shots, especially on serves.

USATT Rating: 1682

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2016, 20:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
For the first time in many years, I've found something that works better for me than Dtecs... it's Viper for me now. :rock:

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2016, 02:15 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I'm still liking it too. I like the control it offers, and yet it still bothers other players. The hits aren't quite as tricky for opponents to deal with, but it typically sets me up to (if I'm actually moving my feet) step around and loop the next one after a weak return from a hit with the Viper.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2016, 14:49 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
I'm having a similar love affair with my Viper. I think I have finally found a LP that suits my game, and my favorite shot selection, perfectly. With all other LPs I've tried, they might have done well in one or two areas, but lacked in other areas that I would have liked. Perhaps Talon came close to being the multi-faceted rubber I was looking for, but this Viper is better yet. So controllable...opponents' hard loop drives come off very low, very consistent, and with much reduced pace. Lifting and punch blocking backspin balls is easy. Lately I have been working on twiddling my bat, and playing offensively with the Viper on my forehand and on my Seemiller backhand. Perhaps the only thing it doesn't do as well as some other rubbers is give good reversal on passive blocks, but maybe that's because of the slower/more dwell time aspect of my blade. The Hurricane 2 on the opposite side of my blade seems to be a good pairing. Anyway, I'm done EJing for awhile now, and I'm really excited about this rubber.

Doug, looking forward to hitting with you and exchanging notes at the state tournament in April!

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 01:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I thought you might end up really liking it, like I do! It will be fun to have a hit with you, to see how we've both progressed.

I thought my EJ'ing was done, but for the first time in years I've decided to try a different blade. Lately I've been working on improving my close to the table blocking, and I want to give a try to a defensive blade that I can still loop a little with. After reading some reviews (and looking at what's affordable) I decided to order a Donic Defplay Senso. Can't wait to see how it pairs with the pips, although with the slower blade I might try the faster Grass on it initially.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 05:21 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
dwruck wrote:
After reading some reviews (and looking at what's affordable) I decided to order a Donic Defplay Senso.

I'm interested in how Donic Defplay Senso works with Viper. Anyone try it yet?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2016, 05:48 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
just ordered 2 sheets.. Never tried it before..

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 02:22 
Reverend Reversal

Blade: Rendler Smart
FH: Hurricane 8 hard
BH: Grass DTechs OX
Looking forward to hearing your review of this rubber, PB, and if it fits into your style. I have found it to be very good when pushblocking against backspin. But then again, my game in that area is nowhere near your level of proficiency. It is a very versatile rubber--I especially like the low trajectory against hard topspin loops. Against slower, spinnier loops, you do have to close the face a little more. Hope this rubber works for you.

Blade - Rendler Smart FH - Hurricane 8 hard black BH - Grass DTechs OX red
Blade - BBC 9/10/9 FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Dragon Talon OX red
Blade - Hallmark Aurora FH - Hurricane 8 black BH - Joola Badman OX red

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2016, 20:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I've also found that against the slower loops that an aggressive chop-block can help to keep it from popping up, which it tends to do a little bit on passive blocks unless you really close the angle of the blade a lot.

Got my Donic Defplay Senso tonight, will be testing that out with Grass initially.

Looking forward to your review of the Viper, Pushblocker!

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 01:21 
Incredible Shrinking Man

Yesterday i played VIPer on a Nsd blade. Attacking is good, chop-block short is good but i need more reversal. Chopping behind the table Was NOT very loaded. Looking forward to try it on tspd soon.
Cheers
Geddk

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2016, 08:26 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

JimWeiland wrote:
Looking forward to hearing your review of this rubber, PB, and if it fits into your style. I have found it to be very good when pushblocking against backspin. But then again, my game in that area is nowhere near your level of proficiency. It is a very versatile rubber--I especially like the low trajectory against hard topspin loops. Against slower, spinnier loops, you do have to close the face a little more. Hope this rubber works for you.

I will post a review for sure.. Might be another week or 2 as I ordered from overseas..

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2016, 06:08 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I tested Viper ox today with CWX blade for the first time. I usually use CC ox and Dtecs is not stranger either. I have mostly the same kind of experience as Haggisv in his review http://tabletennis-reviews.com/dr-neuba ... er-review/

Some first impressions

- Viper feel lot like Dtecs, but more grippy, slower and more dampening.
- Viper feel much more grippier and softer than my CC.
- The negative side was the shot without any kind of swipe against no spin ball. The ball just takes of like with Dtecs and sails long.
- Disturbance potential was surprisingly good, as the rubber gives all kinds of variation: slow, fast, very spinny, no spin... My CC gives usually simple reversal.
- The roll against backspin was very safe and sometimes surprisingly spinny with sidekick. Lot of dwell time like with sponged pip.
- Hitting potential was good, but you must always swipe when hitting, or the ball sails uncontrolled. With CC I can just knock behind the ball without swipe. I am not sure if the hitting potential is good enough percentage wise to use it in serious ranking games, althougt I hit quite a lot in training for fun.
- Braking effect while chopping was probably the best I have seen in ox pips. :) It felt like using sponge.
- Chopping seemed to have good spin potential and chops had big variation in speed - some chops dropped very short.
- Drop shot potential is good: you can really stop the ball by using the flex of the pips.
- Viper was not as slow as some have experienced it.
- Viper seemed to be quite insensitive to spin in serve return, which is bit mystery to me, as it feels very grippy. :o
- I didn't had much chance to serious blocking, so I am not sure about. I don't chop block much, but I use passive block instead, and I am not sure if Viper works with passive blocking.
- Pushing went OK, but I was not very sure of the right angle or tecnique.
- I had some problems with shot highness: some popped up and the other time the angle was too low.

Conclusion

I plan on playing with Viper in the near future. It certainly has big promise, unlike most other pips that I have discarded after brief try.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2016, 15:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

THanks for the review Roy!

You must try blocking, that is it's biggest strength!

I'm still using it, and it's working really well for me. Medium to fast loops are so much easier to loop. Slower loops must be handled a little different since they grip more. Either you close the bat a little producing a slow but dead balls, or you chop block, creating a heavy backspin ball. You can of course take a step back and chop as well. The thing is that for slower loops you actually have the time to make that choice... for blocking fast loops you tend to only have time to put your bat there to block it, so that's the shot that needs to be easy and forgiving.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 00:26 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

I tried it 2 weeks ago and did not like it. At least on my blade, the trajectory was high. I need very low trajectory for my game. I read that others were getting low trajectory from the rubber but they probably used it on a different blade.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2016, 09:29 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that must certainly be the blade, because on medium-high impact, it's one of the lowest trajectories I've seen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next