OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Better or worse?
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2015, 20:34 
The Pied Pipper
The Pied Pipper

This is essentially aimed at defenders, Lp or Anti Players, but all are welcome to comment please.

So, considering that the initial fears of the new balls coming in would mean that attackers would be better off than defenders, that defenders would find it harder to disrupt and control the ball, how have you coped with the change overall and do you feel you are now better off with plastic than poly?

Have you had to change equipment at all and is it or has it worked for you or not?
Are you stuck in no mans land, not knowing what direction you need to go to?

Are you enjoying the plastic ball or not, do you enjoy the game more or less?
Does practice play transfer to league form or is it altogether a different entity in competition now?

Post subject: Re: Better or worse?
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2015, 05:23 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Robot Blocker wrote:
This is essentially aimed at defenders, Lp or Anti Players, but all are welcome to comment please.

So, considering that the initial fears of the new balls coming in would mean that attackers would be better off than defenders, that defenders would find it harder to disrupt and control the ball, how have you coped with the change overall and do you feel you are now better off with plastic than poly?

Have you had to change equipment at all and is it or has it worked for you or not?
Are you stuck in no mans land, not knowing what direction you need to go to?

Are you enjoying the plastic ball or not, do you enjoy the game more or less?
Does practice play transfer to league form or is it altogether a different entity in competition now?

If you look at the top level, I don't see much difference, although Ma Long was able to block some of Joo's attacks that he wasn't able to do with celluloid. But the defense game itself hasn't suffered IMO.

I feel I'm better off with plastic, although it's quite difficult for me to judge because my level has risen at the same time. I didn't change equipment. I enjoy the sport more, but again this might have to do with me getting better. Practice play transfers to competitive play just like with celluloid.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 11:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

1. If one rejects the "worldwide ban on celluloid" argument as ridiculous, and also gives ITTF the benefit of the doubt and stipulates they didn't push these balls to get kickbacks from manufacturers who jack up prices, then it is likely that they wanted to slow the game down to make it easier for defenders*. Otherwise, why would they mandate the balls be slightly larger? The things we see, decreased speed and spin, a lot of that is simply due to the increased size. The could have just said use plastic, otherwise keep things the same. So reducing speed and spin had to be part of what they wanted**.

2. But, in recent years, ITTF has been wrong on nearly everything

3. Therefore it will be bad for defenders, or at very least not good.

4*. Or maybe this was someone's cunning plan to defeat the Chinese using rule changes. Using same argument above, Chinese domination will only increased further.

5**. Arguments about making the sport more TV friendly falter badly in light of production standards of ITTF videos of their biggest events.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 15:35 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Baal wrote:
4*. Or maybe this was someone's cunning plan to defeat the Chinese using rule changes. Using same argument above, Chinese domination will only increased further.

I think the new ball will propably favor strong and straightforfard players. It's more difficult to win points by spin.

I have very spinny serve, deceptive pips and spinny loop and I have feeling that I have lost edge in those areas. And I have been decently good in reading spin (partly thanks to my pips), so my advantage in that area has reduced.

With ox pips value of aggressive pushing and tricky plays might have been diminished, so maybe safe returns and chopping has better value now.

Strong FH attack seem easier to do for me, as I have more time to launch.

First league games are coming after a week, so then I know for sure.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2015, 16:05 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I think neither, but maybe worse lol. Since adapting to the poly ball (which didn't take long), I now find I can switch balls between poly and cell and notice very little difference. The only trouble is it has thrown the clubs ball use into a spin (excuse the pun) as we now get all sorts of different balls (of poly and cell varieties) and the nuances of the way they play can make nightly adjustments difficult. If the could get supply just one ball to stick with, it'd be fine.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 13:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Roy wrote:
I think the new ball will propably favor strong and straightforfard players. It's more difficult to win points by spin.

I have very spinny serve, deceptive pips and spinny loop and I have feeling that I have lost edge in those areas. And I have been decently good in reading spin (partly thanks to my pips), so my advantage in that area has reduced.

With ox pips value of aggressive pushing and tricky plays might have been diminished, so maybe safe returns and chopping has better value now.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. There are those who complain that at least some of the balls (mainly the seamless ones) retain more spin during flight, so when they land they tend to kick or jump (mainly sideways) a lot more than the celluloid balls do. This is definitely my experience with the XSF and Kingnik balls. Put a little more sidespin into your chops, lobs and loops and it might throw the other person off. A lot of the forced errors I see on table tennis videos are caused by balls that kick - doesn't take much to cause a mis-hit into the net or off the table.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2015, 15:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
In my experience, ( we are using dhs 3 star plastic balls ) it is better for the defender. He can block attack better since the game slowed down.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!