OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 05:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
 Post subject: Re: a BRS blog
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 07:52 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: Xiom Omega IV Asia
BH: Xiom Omega VII Pro
Japsican wrote:
Looks fun. I attempted to make one unsuccessfully.

Which brand of return board did you buy? I think there are a few on the market.

This one?
https://wallyrebounder.com/products/wal ... ing-system

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 09:42 
Super User

Yes, that's the one. I also got the little tripod to put one end on the table. I haven't tried that yet. If it cen return a short serve short then it will be far more valuable thanthd amicus ever was. If I have time I'll try that next week and post a video.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 15:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Donic Appelgren Allplay
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z2 2.1mm
BH: Donic Bluestorm Z2 2.1mm
Looks really great!

I know David had a small board at TTPor that he showed me. I think they're a good concept, and the adjustability of the Wally looks to be excellent.

Your drill looks super - I'm very impressed you got to this level against the board so quickly. I suspect it's very unforgiving of timing errors, and so could be frustrating to get started with.

Read my blog: "LordCope's Latest Learnings Log": http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24452

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 23:02 

Blade: Joola Rossi Emotion
FH: Xiom Omega IV Asia
BH: Xiom Omega VII Pro
Return board question:
The returns from the board's "blocks" seem kind of high depending on your spin. Do you find it to be vastly different than a human's blocks where they can keep them lower with touch and small movements aka "active blocking"? Have you tried angling the board more to better emulate a human?

Just wondering if it encourages a more vertical stroke than you would need against a human.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 00:55 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
Return board question:
The returns from the board's "blocks" seem kind of high depending on your spin. Do you find it to be vastly different than a human's blocks where they can keep them lower with touch and small movements aka "active blocking"? Have you tried angling the board more to better emulate a human?

Just wondering if it encourages a more vertical stroke than you would need against a human.

It's tolerant to speed and spin variation within a reasonable range. What it isn't tolerant of at all is bailing out of a looping rally and hitting a flat ball. I have a bad habit of doing that in games, but the board has zero tolerance for it. The ball just dies. I see that as a good thing.

About active blocking, it obviously can't punchblock or anything like that. But when I angle it much lower than in the video I find the blocks to be unrealistic compared to the humans that I am playing around usatt 1900 level. Most people actually block higher than that in matches. But it's stupidly easy to adjust the board to whatever angle of return you want. The dream is as I get spinnier and spinnier with practice, the board will have to close more and more. We'll see.

Yesterday I did some down the line looping, all fhs then all bhs. I needed a lower angle for that to keep the distance short. But in 20 minutes (time-limited myself for injury prevention) I was able to get as high as 23 consecutive fhs and 14 bhs, so it was pretty easy to adjust.

About stroke changes, I'm actually using it to train myself to take the ball at the top of the bounce and swing more forward than my normal stroke. I worked on that a ton at the camps last year but I've regressed since coming home. Five years of letting the ball drop and swinging up doesn't change in four weeks of intensive training. I think twenty minutes a day for a year or two has a much higher likelihood of making permanent changes. That's what the board allows me to do that I couldn't before. I mean, I did train every day with the robots I had, but the feedback from that turned out to be counterproductive (for me). It's early days, but I'm convinced that the board will be better for my game than the amicus was. I wish I had bought one when I started playing, but whatever, at least I have it now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 635 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!