OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2016, 13:40 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
iskandar taib wrote:
spencer_r wrote:
Carbon Fibre
I have 3D printed tennis racquets with carbon fibre and they work great.

Hmm!!! This is interesting. I've heard of all sorts of materials used for 3D printing but wasn't aware that you could print with carbon fiber. How is it done?

Iskandar

Agreed: I must have overlooked it! Interesting...

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 03:18 

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Spin Art 2.1 (TBC)
BH: Spin Art 1.9
iskandar taib wrote:
spencer_r wrote:
Carbon Fibre
I have 3D printed tennis racquets with carbon fibre and they work great.

Hmm!!! This is interesting. I've heard of all sorts of materials used for 3D printing but wasn't aware that you could print with carbon fiber. How is it done?

Iskandar

Here is the website. I don't have a MarkForged, or plan to buy one since they are $5000-8000 depending on the retailer, but you can contact them and they can tell you about them or any retailers that have printing resources. The retailer that is nearest to me (about 4-hour drive) allows for people to send in their 3D files and have them printed based on the cost of the resources and how long it takes. It costed $300 to print my racquet, but that is A LOT of material.

Sadly, you can't just find retailers. You need to email them and within 48 hours they will send you the closest retailer, and they might be able to print you a paddle (if you wanted to make one).

Again, sadly, you need to be able to make a 3D printable model of the paddle to print, because the retailers do not make the files. You can always find a freelancer and get it done for like $40.

How is it done? I am not quite sure. I think the machine heats it so it becomes slightly fluid, then it lays down the fluid carbon fibre and lets it dry in whatever shape it wants (then layers it).

It is a really cool machine, tbh. Check out their website: https://markforged.com
EDIT: They JUST released a new printer called 'Onyx'. Maybe the price of the old one will go down?

~Speed

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 09:29 

Blade: Nittaku Goriki SD
FH: Donic Baracuda Max
BH: Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX
Just for smiling.. but it's true..

This is an extract from a chinese patent for new tennis table bat..

The present invention discloses an improved floor and table tennis racket table tennis bats, wherein the modified table tennis racket floor using special materials such tennis racket impact resistance, aging resistance and good rigidity; improved table tennis shoot bottom with fish bone-like structure to achieve bottom portion of the hollow racket, table tennis racket to reduce the overall weight; settings on the tennis racket elastic panels and floor a number of recessed holes uniformly arranged in the recessed hole structure table tennis bats and table tennis to expand the contact surface, more importantly, It is to improve the friction and rotation speed of the table tennis ball table tennis racket generated.

From patent CN 104043236 B

The Ultimate Light Saber
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki SuperDrive FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 1.5mm
Blade Nittaku Goriki FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Tibhar Grass D.TecS OX + Toni Hold Dumpening Sponge 0.5 mm
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH Der-Materialspezialist Elimination Extralong OX
Blade Nittaku Violoncello FH Donic Baracuda Max BH der-Materialspezialist Megablock 2.0mm

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 10:10 
Super User

spencer_r wrote:
Check out their website: https://markforged.com

Whoa! Cool! Never thought of 3d printing fibreglass, kevlar, aluminium or carbon fibre!
Ragnolo, you've inspired me to start 3d printing and laser cutting floors! :D :D :D
I wonder if a thin silicone layer would be allowed? :^)
Keep these ideas flowing, guys - even if the material isn't usable, it's a good read!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016, 13:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, very interesting. At first, I thought they were using chopped fibers, and somehow feeding the glass/carbon filled resin through nozzles (no mean trick, I'd say, especially if you wanted both (a) high resolution printing, which means tiny, tiny nozzles and (b) long fiber strands, which would be necessary to make the printed piece stiff and tough). But then I had a look at the website. Apparently the printer uses a second print head to embed CONTINUOUS FIBERS (HOW????) in the nylon printed with the first nozzle. Now I'm REALLY curious. How the heck is this done?????

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 15:07 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Twenty bucks.

http://www.banggood.com/300x200x2mm-100 ... 88100.html

Big enough for one blade. It'd be interesting to try a blade made up of one layer of this - I think it should be strong enough to produce a blade that's REALLY flexible, that you could bend without breaking. Wonder how well it'd play. Will probably feel really weird, without control. You'll really need a laser/water jet to cut this, or a carbide bit in a (CNC or manual) router.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 17:10 
Super User

iskandar taib, talking about a 1-ply, 2mm carbon fibre blade, wrote:
Wonder how well it'd play. Will probably feel really weird, without control.

Interesting idea: my guess is it would probably play similar to the 2mm acrylic. Some of the lower-level guys at my club want my all-acrylic 2mm blade because it flexes by almost 30 degrees on a fast swing: they're hoping that their shots that normally go wide will hit the table because of the flex! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Interesting idea, though. I've just been thinking about where I could get the wood veneers from... Might start another thread for that.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 19:12 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It should be a lot stiffer than 2mm acrylic, but a lot more flexible (in a real, physical sense) than any existing wood blade.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 20:18 
Super User

Yeah, absolutely. I didn't mean it'd flex quite that much, but it would probably be similar in that it would be fairly fast (in comparison to a wood blade of the same thickness), and the high flex would give a super-long dwell time: interesting feel for looping (albeit fairly slowly), great for blocks, and... interesting on chops! The chops with the acrylic seemed to work okay, but they just felt a little weird; not quite sure what it was that made it feel that way.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 11:53 

Musicfreak0 wrote:
Yeah, absolutely. I didn't mean it'd flex quite that much, but it would probably be similar in that it would be fairly fast (in comparison to a wood blade of the same thickness), and the high flex would give a super-long dwell time: interesting feel for looping (albeit fairly slowly), great for blocks, and... interesting on chops! The chops with the acrylic seemed to work okay, but they just felt a little weird; not quite sure what it was that made it feel that way.

As I was saying a while back (maybe on a different thread?), is that you could use the carbon fibre layer as outer layer for a hard but flexible rebound pad, then use a wooden base to keep the carbon fibre from flexing too much. So a wooden middle layer and a thin carbon fibre layer on the outsides (or maybe it could act as a layer in between wood layers?) bordering the rubber.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2016, 14:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

spencer_r wrote:
As I was saying a while back (maybe on a different thread?), is that you could use the carbon fibre layer as outer layer for a hard but flexible rebound pad, then use a wooden base to keep the carbon fibre from flexing too much. So a wooden middle layer and a thin carbon fibre layer on the outsides (or maybe it could act as a layer in between wood layers?) bordering the rubber.

Yeah, but how would this be different than the hundreds of other carbon blades on the market? We do know that blades DON'T REALLY flex (try flexing one and see how much it bends before it breaks, and how much force it takes to make it flex even a teeny amount..). This despite all the blade reviews waxing about "flex" and "dwell time". The reason I was suggesting the 2mm carbon sheet was it WILL flex without breaking, given a reasonable applied force. We want to see what DOES happen when you have a blade that DOES flex when you hit the ball.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 05:16 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
spencer_r wrote:

Yeah, but how would this be different than the hundreds of other carbon blades on the market? We do know that blades DON'T REALLY flex (try flexing one and see how much it bends before it breaks, and how much force it takes to make it flex even a teeny amount..). This despite all the blade reviews waxing about "flex" and "dwell time". The reason I was suggesting the 2mm carbon sheet was it WILL flex without breaking, given a reasonable applied force. We want to see what DOES happen when you have a blade that DOES flex when you hit the ball.

Iskandar

+1.
This is where we get into the acrylic blade again, which flexed around 30 degrees on a fast swing. Very difficult to control, and generally hard to play with, but if you get the hang of it, it can be quite fun!

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 13:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

30 degrees??? Wow.. :lol: Way too much I think..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 13:42 

iskandar taib wrote:
spencer_r wrote:

Iskandar

I am not aware of any table tennis racquets that actually use a solid layer of cabon fibre. Could you link me to one? I have seen ones with threaded carbon fibre into wood and other materials (in fact, I have one very similar to that).

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2016, 14:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

spencer_r wrote:
I am not aware of any table tennis racquets that actually use a solid layer of cabon fibre. Could you link me to one? I have seen ones with threaded carbon fibre into wood and other materials (in fact, I have one very similar to that).

They ALL have "solid layers" of carbon fiber. The way carbon fiber (and other) composites are made is you impregnate the carbon cloth with a resin, and then the resin is allowed to cure (preferably under pressure so you squeeze as much of the resin out as possible). The result is strands of carbon fiber in the cloth held together with resin in between the fibers. That's exactly how blades are made (the resin is the glue applied to the cloth when the blade sandwich is being laid up). The composite plate you buy is the same thing, except they use several layers of carbon fiber cloth and they compress the resin-impregnated cloth between two plates, which are squeezed together while the resin cures. They probably use prepreg and an autoclave to speed things up.

There is a blade on the market which has carbon fiber layers on the surface, too, forget who makes it (someone in Japan). It's not against the rules but is probably not commonly done because it introduces some undesirable properties to the blade.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!