OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 08:50


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 11:25 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2107
Location: Lafayette, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: TSP Spinpips RED
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor 0.6
bbkon wrote:
nathanso wrote:
bbkon wrote:
HI nathan is spinpips red more spin resistant than beautry? which one gives more nastier blocks?
It's been a long time since I played with Beautry. My recollection is that its blocks are faster than Spinpips RED's but I don't remember how spin resistant it was. Spinpips RED has an uncanny ability to take spin -- but not all the speed -- off the incoming ball when used with a loose, energy-absorbing grip.



so it must be hard to loop again and opponents make mistakes?
Yes, but mostly because they're rushed.


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 10:31 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2107
Location: Lafayette, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: TSP Spinpips RED
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor 0.6
bbkon wrote:
so it must be hard to loop again and opponents make mistakes?
Today I built up identical paddles; one with TSP Spinpips RED max and one with Nittaku Beautry max. Not a whole lot of difference between the two, the most prominent difference being that Beautry is quiet and Spinpips RED is loud. Beautry might be a tad faster and throw a tad lower. Both make blocking effortless and dangerously fast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 17:29 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 22 Feb 2017, 04:18
Posts: 280
Location: Wakefield UK
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 41 times
Blade: TSP BB 4.0
FH: Aurus Select 1.9
BH: Keiler 1.2
Spin pips red is so tempting but unfortunately so expensive :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 06:01 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 25 Aug 2010, 05:04
Posts: 464
Location: UK
Has thanked: 162 times
Been thanked: 29 times
Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Def
FH: Tibhar Evolution ELP
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I have it and would love to use it as a trial on my forehand but I fear I would have to change my technique too much. It remains on the backhand of a TSP Balsa blade and sadly underused.

_________________
Tibhar Stratus Power Defense
Tibhar Evolution ELP
Tibhar Grass DTecS Ox


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2018, 06:36 
Offline
Chopoleon Bonaparte
User avatar

Joined: 23 Apr 2009, 07:21
Posts: 676
Location: New York, New York
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 84 times
Blade: Re-impact Smart
FH: Spinlord Sandwind 1.5mm
BH: Spinlord Agenda OX
nathanso wrote:
Today I built up identical paddles; one with TSP Spinpips RED max and one with Nittaku Beautry max. Not a whole lot of difference between the two, the most prominent difference being that Beautry is quiet and Spinpips RED is loud. Beautry might be a tad faster and throw a tad lower. Both make blocking effortless and dangerously fast.


Interesting. That wasn't my experience. I used the Beautry for months before switching to the Spinpips RED on the same blade, and I found the Beautry and Spinpips RED to have similar speed and both to be similarly excellent for blocking, but I found spin-generation on serves, chops and loops to be significantly better with Spinpips RED.

_________________
I. Re-Impact Smart; FH: TSP Spinpips RED 2.1mm; BH: Dr. Neubauer Gangster OX
II. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX
III. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm; BH: Joola Badman Reloaded OX
IV. Victas Koji Matsushita; FH: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft 1.8mm; BH: TSP P-1R 1.0-1.3mm
USATT Rating: 2037


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 07:09 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2107
Location: Lafayette, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: TSP Spinpips RED
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor 0.6
nathanso wrote:
Today I built up identical paddles; one with TSP Spinpips RED max and one with Nittaku Beautry max. Not a whole lot of difference between the two, the most prominent difference being that Beautry is quiet and Spinpips RED is loud. Beautry might be a tad faster and throw a tad lower. Both make blocking effortless and dangerously fast.

Played another night with both these paddles and it's now evident to me that Spinpips RED is better at blocking incoming loops. Beautry seemed sensitive to pip orientation vs the ball's spin, sometimes blocking as expected; other times seeing the ball slip off the pips and just die into the net. This was common against a side looper I played last night who imparted a lot of side-top with his FH. I'm putting Beautry away again, probably for good this time. Hopeful that the new DMS Firestorm SP surpasses Spinpips RED.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 01:10 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 14:51
Posts: 32
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times
Hi Nathanso,

I'be been playing Spinpips Red for the past 3 months, and unfortunately don't think it is the right one for me. The red sponge is a significant speed upgrade, however topsheet is too soft and pips bend on harder stroke introducing a fair bit of inconsistency. Despite the apparent speed, overall feel is very "mushy" and indirect. I think you mentioned "dreaded pip grip" in your older posts and I think Spinpips Red is showing that in full force.

I'm thinking of retracing your footsteps on Beautry, how do you compare the overall feel? Especially topsheet and sponge hardness, catapult feeling, overall directness etc. Coming from 802-40, Spinpips Red is already a step down in spin, but I'm willing to give up more for something faster and crisp hitting (although still in the spinny pips category).

Apart from Beautry, can you also compare the topsheet/sponge properties against other pips? I'm considering Rakza PO, Waran, and Hexer Force. But ofcourse, open to suggestions.

Thanks,

_________________
Setup1: Xiom Stradivarius, TSP Spinpips Red 2.1mm, Xiom Vega Asia 2.0mm Setup2: Adidas Strike Wood 7, 802-40 2.2mm, Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 01:45 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2107
Location: Lafayette, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: TSP Spinpips RED
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor 0.6
lasta wrote:
Hi Nathanso,

I'be been playing Spinpips Red for the past 3 months, and unfortunately don't think it is the right one for me. The red sponge is a significant speed upgrade, however topsheet is too soft and pips bend on harder stroke introducing a fair bit of inconsistency. Despite the apparent speed, overall feel is very "mushy" and indirect. I think you mentioned "dreaded pip grip" in your older posts and I think Spinpips Red is showing that in full force.

I'm thinking of retracing your footsteps on Beautry, how do you compare the overall feel? Especially topsheet and sponge hardness, catapult feeling, overall directness etc. Coming from 802-40, Spinpips Red is already a step down in spin, but I'm willing to give up more for something faster and crisp hitting (although still in the spinny pips category).

Apart from Beautry, can you also compare the topsheet/sponge properties against other pips? I'm considering Rakza PO, Waran, and Hexer Force. But ofcourse, open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Is the Xiom Stradivarius a stiff, hard blade without Balsa? If not then I'd first try a more SP-oriented blade because I experience none of the mushy, indirect feel that you described. I guess I should also ask what your playing level is because if you're US2000+ and hitting a lot harder than I do then that could explain it, and maybe indicate that Spinpips BLUE is better suited for your power level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 02:23 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 14:51
Posts: 32
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times
nathanso wrote:
lasta wrote:
Hi Nathanso,

I'be been playing Spinpips Red for the past 3 months, and unfortunately don't think it is the right one for me. The red sponge is a significant speed upgrade, however topsheet is too soft and pips bend on harder stroke introducing a fair bit of inconsistency. Despite the apparent speed, overall feel is very "mushy" and indirect. I think you mentioned "dreaded pip grip" in your older posts and I think Spinpips Red is showing that in full force.

I'm thinking of retracing your footsteps on Beautry, how do you compare the overall feel? Especially topsheet and sponge hardness, catapult feeling, overall directness etc. Coming from 802-40, Spinpips Red is already a step down in spin, but I'm willing to give up more for something faster and crisp hitting (although still in the spinny pips category).

Apart from Beautry, can you also compare the topsheet/sponge properties against other pips? I'm considering Rakza PO, Waran, and Hexer Force. But ofcourse, open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Is the Xiom Stradivarius a stiff, hard blade without Balsa? If not then I'd first try a more SP-oriented blade because I experience none of the mushy, indirect feel that you described. I guess I should also ask what your playing level is because if you're US2000+ and hitting a lot harder than I do then that could explain it, and maybe indicate that Spinpips BLUE is better suited for your power level.


Hi, the Stradivarius is a hard medium high stiffness blade. Koto, ALC, Ayous, Kiri I believe. Much harder and crisper feeling than clipper, although very slightly less stiff, definitely not a flexy/trampoline type blade. I hate to admit it, but I'm an unranked player. Only attended local (Shanghai) hosted tournaments over the past 1.5 years and they don't keep score like the US. Definitely not US2000+, but good conststent forehand and I try to impart speed whenever possible. With regards to Blue, I'm aware they have the same topsheet, which is what I found too soft. How does the Beautry topsheet compare? Also Waran which I believe you also tried.

_________________
Setup1: Xiom Stradivarius, TSP Spinpips Red 2.1mm, Xiom Vega Asia 2.0mm Setup2: Adidas Strike Wood 7, 802-40 2.2mm, Rakza 7 Soft 2.0mm


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 11:12 
Offline
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User
User avatar

Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 00:48
Posts: 2107
Location: Lafayette, California
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Blade: BBC Ghost
FH: TSP Spinpips RED
BH: Dr Neubauer Aggressor 0.6
lasta wrote:
Hi, the Stradivarius is a hard medium high stiffness blade. Koto, ALC, Ayous, Kiri I believe. Much harder and crisper feeling than clipper, although very slightly less stiff, definitely not a flexy/trampoline type blade. I hate to admit it, but I'm an unranked player. Only attended local (Shanghai) hosted tournaments over the past 1.5 years and they don't keep score like the US. Definitely not US2000+, but good conststent forehand and I try to impart speed whenever possible. With regards to Blue, I'm aware they have the same topsheet, which is what I found too soft. How does the Beautry topsheet compare? Also Waran which I believe you also tried.


Beautry's topsheet feels similar in play to Spinpips RED from what I recall. But it doesn't throw as high or spin as much, as I noted earlier. I didn't like Waran at all.. plasticky feel that I couldn't get to lift or spin the ball. I also recently bought/tried DMS Firestorm as well as the new Gambler SP and I still prefer the TSP pip.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2018, 00:42 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 25 May 2008, 04:35
Posts: 600
Location: puero rico
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
nathanso wrote:
lasta wrote:
Hi, the Stradivarius is a hard medium high stiffness blade. Koto, ALC, Ayous, Kiri I believe. Much harder and crisper feeling than clipper, although very slightly less stiff, definitely not a flexy/trampoline type blade. I hate to admit it, but I'm an unranked player. Only attended local (Shanghai) hosted tournaments over the past 1.5 years and they don't keep score like the US. Definitely not US2000+, but good conststent forehand and I try to impart speed whenever possible. With regards to Blue, I'm aware they have the same topsheet, which is what I found too soft. How does the Beautry topsheet compare? Also Waran which I believe you also tried.


Beautry's topsheet feels similar in play to Spinpips RED from what I recall. But it doesn't throw as high or spin as much, as I noted earlier. I didn't like Waran at all.. plasticky feel that I couldn't get to lift or spin the ball. I also recently bought/tried DMS Firestorm as well as the new Gambler SP and I still prefer the TSP pip.




Beautry pips are trapezoidal like moristo but red is conical not cylinder beautry pips are more separated.red is too mushy not a sharp feeling bitting the ball


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: