OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 11:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 19:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin Apologize for China Open Forfeit:

The Chinese Table Tennis Team has released the following statement for Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin forfeiting their round of 16 matches at the Seamaster 2017 ITTF World Tour China Open. A few minutes later, Ma Long, Fan Zhendong and Xu Xin posted the same statement on their Weibo accounts.
Full story here:
http://www.ittf.com/2017/06/24/ma-long- ... n-forfeit/

Wow, pretty amazing that they would decide together to forfeit! :o :o :o I do wonder how genuine the apology was... or were they forced to say this?

Or do have have this all wrong, and Sharara has finally found a way to get the Chinese out of the medals? 8) :lol:

What do you think?

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 02:44 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It's always Sharara's fault.. :lol:

Gavroche Thenardier wrote:
I fell on the ground
That's Voltaire's fault
Nose in the stream
That's Rousseau's fault
I am not a notary,
That's Voltaire's fault
I'm a fledgeling
That's Rousseau's fault

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 27 Jun 2017, 03:46, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 07:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I find this entire affair fascinating and have been following it as well as I can. I am surprised that it doesn't seem to have evoked much commentary here at OOAK. I am trying to think of any time in my lifetime that well known Chinese athletes have defaulted out of a major international competition to protest the actions of their own government. (In China, sports is run by the government, the decision to fire LGL was made by what is essentially the Ministry of Sports, and the relatively new head of that used to be the Vice Mayor of Beijing). So now the punishment they receive is extremely interesting. One detail of note is that all of the players posted identical apologies. Not one word was different. It was clearly written for them (lots of classic Chinese ideological text straight out of the 1970s). The day before, their social media webpages (Webo) were shut down. From what I can discern (my wife did some checking for me, she speaks Chinese), the general netizens of China are supporting the players and can see through the transparency of the identically-worded apologies. Given that the sports ministry is now being ridiculed, the players may have achieved their objective, but it is going to cost them. Their salary may be cut, their endorsement opportunities will be diminished. This took guts on their part. It is notable that Zhang Jike does not seem to have taken part at all. This itself is raising a ton of comment.

Meanwhile, as to the reasons they fired LGL, the rumors are flying fast and furious and it is going to be hard to tease out the truth.

Meanwhile the ITTF, just like the IOC in 1968 at the time of Tommie Smith and John Carlos, appears eager to position themselves on what will certainly be the wrong side of history.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2017, 07:40 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
So, in addition to running sport, does the government also run vice?

Quote:
(In China, sports is run by the government, the decision to fire LGL was made by what is essentially the Ministry of Sports, and the relatively new head of that used to be the Vice Mayor of Beijing)

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 02:22 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Baal wrote:
I am surprised that it doesn't seem to have evoked much commentary here at OOAK.

We can only pick one institution at the time to complain about. :lol:

I've been following it too on the MyTT website. I'd be surprised the Chinese government takes on a celebrity like Ma Long or Xu Xin with a big punishment. Wouldn't that cause major protests? And who will they send out to defend theit national sport then? I don't know the Chinese culture, though.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 03:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The only other instance of a "revolt" I can think of was Li Na. I'll have to find that NYT article again. Apparently she had to do quite a bit to get allowed to participate as a full-blown pro.

Lorre wrote:

:lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 05:11 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate II
FH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω VII Asia Max
Lorre wrote:
Baal wrote:
I am surprised that it doesn't seem to have evoked much commentary here at OOAK.

I've been following it too on the MyTT website. I'd be surprised the Chinese government takes on a celebrity like Ma Long or Xu Xin with a big punishment. Wouldn't that cause major protests? And who will they send out to defend theit national sport then? I don't know the Chinese culture, though.

If they need to make an example of someone to keep the masses in line, is there anyone better?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 06:43 
Joo Too
Joo Too

GMan4911 wrote:
If they need to make an example of someone to keep the masses in line, is there anyone better?

Yes, but it could go very wrong too. Don't forget: if you take ML, XX, FZD away, you could say to Europe and other Asian countries: "here, you can have our sport."

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 00:54 
Super User

I'm not surprised that there has not been much discussion. It was hard for me to find this thread. I put something in on the players coach topic.
We have to be careful these are basically kids that have been ushered along all their lives doing only one thing. It seems from following Em Rat site it may end up okay. But by China standards Ma Long, Zhang Jike, and Xu Xin are relatively old any may not be around for Tokyo. Then the repercussions may happen. China looks as people like tools to show off the state. That is why the magic of Liu Guoliang is so special making constant winners. The pressure he was under to make winners is intense. Taking him away seems to be political and the support of the player will probably mean nothing as far as Liu continued coaching.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 03:41 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:
Yes, but it could go very wrong too. Don't forget: if you take ML, XX, FZD away, you could say to Europe and other Asian countries: "here, you can have our sport."

Then again, if you believe all these tales about how the Chinese have the top 100 players in the world, it's just that they don't get to play internationally, then replacing the top three wouldn't be much of a deal.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 19:18 
Joo Too
Joo Too

iskandar taib wrote:
Lorre wrote:

Then again, if you believe all these tales about how the Chinese have the top 100 players in the world, it's just that they don't get to play internationally, then replacing the top three wouldn't be much of a deal.

Iskandar

Yes, but seeing Joo & Boll perform in the Chinese Superleague, I don't believe that tale. ;)

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that