OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 20:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 04:28 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I'm currently using the Re-Impact Smart blade, and it's great for blocking on my backhand, but I want something a bit stiffer for my forehand because I have so many loose balls I should be smashing, but the non-linear impact of the soft balsa blade results in too many of them sailing long. My coach suggested that I try something that's a bit harder on the forehand, but I need something light because otherwise my elbow flares up. Does anyone have any suggestions for blades fitting that description?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 09:46 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Strange, I actually thought that the Smart was really good for smashing, it's just not ideal for looping. You could try the TSP Trinity carbon, all the ones I've seen are well below 80g (some below 70g!), and this works really well with OX LPs, and behaves like a regular carbon blade (i.e. much harder feel compared to Smart) on the forehand.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 11:30 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
I guess anything using Koto top-ply tends to be hard. Other than pure-wood, aren't the new Stiga Carbonado 290 supposed to be extremely stiff almost inflexible ?

Smashing blades Stiga Infinity VPS or maybe one of those CC7 ? Also anything using Fibre-glass composites will be rock-hard.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 13:44 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

haggisv wrote:
Strange, I actually thought that the Smart was really good for smashing, it's just not ideal for looping. You could try the TSP Trinity carbon, all the ones I've seen are well below 80g (some below 70g!), and this works really well with OX LPs, and behaves like a regular carbon blade (i.e. much harder feel compared to Smart) on the forehand.

Interesting. For me, the Smart is great for looping, but bad for smashing. I'm thinking that the difference might be that you're using a hard forehand rubber, while I'm using soft short pips. Maybe the Trinity Carbon would help.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 21:46 
Super User

TSP Blockman might work. Well made. All wood , 80 grams if that is light enough for you. Quite stiff powerful in hitting, loops will need to use the rubber, won't get help from blade flex.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 23:28 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Thanks, guys. Will look into some of these options.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 01:24 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I just got the dermaterialspezialist star lite blade... it is, wait for it... 48 grams!!

Balsa of course, so good for blocking but probably not a real mallet when smashing.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 05:12 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

skilless_slapper wrote:
I just got the dermaterialspezialist star lite blade... it is, wait for it... 48 grams!!

Balsa of course, so good for blocking but probably not a real mallet when smashing.

Well, they're marketing does say that "For inverted and short/medium pimples enough power can be unleashed for spinny loops and devastating hits." 48 grams sounds great, so if you find the hits to be as "devastating" as advertised, I'd be curious to know. (And would be curious to know how you like this blade in general when you have a chance to try it out.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 11:28 
Super User

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
skilless_slapper wrote:

Well, they're marketing does say that "For inverted and short/medium pimples enough power can be unleashed for spinny loops and devastating hits." 48 grams sounds great, so if you find the hits to be as "devastating" as advertised, I'd be curious to know. (And would be curious to know how you like this blade in general when you have a chance to try it out.

I also have been using the new Joola air fibre 60 gram balsa blade. That one ive a had a chance to test in games. It is quite fast for being so light, and carries a real direct, sharp feel. Faster than the dermaterialspezialist blades I have. But still, it being so light you can loosen your grip to let the blade absorb the incomi ng energy and send back very short ones. I haven't played with the star lite yet but do have another dermaterialspezialist blade that is a class higher, and that one is slower than the air fibre. So I imagine the star lite will be even slower. For passive blocking games with anti or l.p. I think the dermaterialspezialist are better. The air fibre has another offensive gear however. I have such light blades after getting a bout of tendonititis in the wrist. They are easier to move around but you do sacrifice some power, alas!

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 06:15 
Super User

Checking back in after getting some use out of the star light blade!

The joola air fibre is still faster and more direct, but man... I am loving the star light's feel! Using anti spin on the backhand and short pips on the forehand, the blade weighs about 110 grams total. That's lighter than the basic blade weight of a joo se hyuk I had previously! The star light has a nice fat grip and wonderful feel in all shots, it seems. It feels faster than most defensive blades, so despite the low weight it isn't a 'doinky' kind of blade.

I'm heavily considering ordering a second one just to see how different rubbers feel on it. But I also have the DMS phantom blade, and that is pretty similar aside from the 15 gram weight increase. So is it worth $170 for me to get another star light...? Maybe! 110 grams! I had it with 2 ox pips as a tester first off, it weighed around 80 grams total! I think with a sheet of 1.0 mega block on the backhand at about 27 grams and a sheet of ox short pips on the forehand, 16 grams or so... could get it to around 90 grams total, still with a good bit of spin potential using the short pips. I had removed the super spinpips top sheet and glued it on as an experiment. Still quite spinny for serves and such.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 13:27 

Blade: Stiga Hypertech 35/45
FH: Nittaku G-1 Max
BH: Butterfy SuperAnti 2.0 mm
fleetwood999 wrote:
TSP Blockman might work. Well made. All wood , 80 grams if that is light enough for you. Quite stiff powerful in hitting, loops will need to use the rubber, won't get help from blade flex.

Hi, I am interested to try it for blocking with SuperAnti, and you say it is stiff, but looking on Victas' website, they say it's quite soft. Have you tried the Blockman II blade, or just read somewhere about the stiffness?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2017, 19:51 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Perhaps a Dr Neubaer Bulldog which is stated to be 68gm and is plywood not balsa. Dr N uses one himself according to their website