OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Aug 2018, 20:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for kids
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 20:02 

Blade: FL
My son's been really into table tennis lately and we are considering buying him a new padle. Currently deciding between Killerspin and Stiga. Can anyone, please, suggest a better option and point out pros and cons of each. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for kids
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 20:43 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

violetkeen wrote:
My son's been really into table tennis lately and we are considering buying him a new padle. Currently deciding between Killerspin and Stiga. Can anyone, please, suggest a better option and point out pros and cons of each. Thank you!

What suggestion is reasonable depends on several factors. :
  • Your son's current equipment.
    Does he really need an upgrade, and what equipment would constitute an upgrade?
  • Your son's playing level.
    Is he playing in a club several times a week, receiving individual or group coaching, at school or in a sports/health facility without skilled TT coaches, or playing in the garage/backyard against family and friends?
  • Age, fitness and strength.
    Most 4-year-olds would benefit from a light setup with a thinner than average handle. Around the age of six, most kids have developed sufficient wrist strength and motor skills to handle a racket of normal weight and size.
  • Budget
    How much do you envision spending? You can get good competition rackets (which I myself could certainly use in a tournament) for less than $20 if ordering from China is OK for you. You'd have to expect delivery to take a month or so, and you don't get the "bragging rights"/star rating that come with the better known brands.
Most likely, Iskandar Taib's default suggestion will do (that would be one of the China orders I mentioned above).

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for kids
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2018, 21:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

If you're thinking Killerspin, for goodness sakes, DO NOT GET ONE OF THESE... :lol:

https://www.killerspin.com/collections/ ... ed-edition

Killerspin does make appropriate equipment, but some of it isn't. Some isn't legal for tournament play (green rubber, or both sides black), some wouldn't be appropriate for beginners (carbon fiber) or juniors (too heavy). And you're probably thinking about the Killerspin rackets on Amazon. All of these are what we call "premades", some are probably OK but look out.

By "Stiga" I imagine you mean one of those premades you find at Target or Wal-Mart or on Amazon. These, in general, have a bad reputation, being heavy and slow. Stiga is a well-known brand of competition equipment, but the pre-mades don't fall under that category. The REAL Stiga stuff can be found at table tennis shops such as tabletennis11.com (this is in Europe, though).

For beginners, I strongly suggest this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SANWEI- ... 74001.html

The Sanwei M8 blade is very good, very similar to some all-wood Stigas, is lightweight, and this one comes with T88 rubber (which is a good Chinese rubber). For $13.88 (wow - price came down again) including shipping it's hard to beat. The fly in the ointment is the 3 weeks you'll have to wait before it arrives.

Iskandar