OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2008, 11:50 

~Above~

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 11:44 

I like to know too... In particular, I am looking for a non-spinny SP to go with my Yasaka 7-ply as a first up (might swap between the 5-ply and the carbon blades once I get a rough feel)...

I have heard 651 is a rather non-spinny one?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 12:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
There is a DHS 651 review on our site, but only the basic information on the DHS 652

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 17:16 
Mind Gamer Extraordinaire

@Haggisv:What about the sponges?

-From the review, the 1.8 sponge on 651 is quite soft, is the 1.5 sponge as soft or is it harder?
-Is the 1.5 sponge on the 652 the same as on the 651?

(from the review, I'm very interested in 651 as an allround/chopping pip)

Tibhar IV-S - Donic Defplay SensoV3 - BTY Tackiness D/C - BTY Feint Soft - Meteor 813

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2008, 23:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'll check them out side by side tomorrow... please bug me if I forget :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 04:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Usagi wrote:

Quote:
In particular, I am looking for a non-spinny SP to go with my Yasaka 7-ply as a first up (might swap between the 5-ply and the carbon blades once I get a rough feel)

The 651 is less spinny than the 652, but both are very good SP rubbers and can be used to hit flat, reverse spin, and so on; the 651 is a true hitter's rubber, whereas the 652 can pick up low balls more easily (which enables you to start flat hitting sooner in the rally) but is more sensitive to incoming spin. I'd say the 651 is faster (more rectilinear) and simpler (classic rubber), the 652 more complicated and more versatile ("modern" rubber). Compared to Friendships 802 or 802-1 and even the softer 799, these rubbers have a relatively soft, "deep" feel even in 1.5 mm, because their topsheets are softer. They really can grip the ball, which makes up for their relatively low control. If you like a hard or "dead" feel, don't go for them. You might also want to think again about speed, because these rubbers are very fast, really among the fastest that are around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 08:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Wow, great detail... feels like I'm off the hook, thanks Kees! I'd like to add those comments to my site if you don't mind Kees?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 08:23 

Thanks for the info, Kees et al.

The review mentioned that it feels in between being short and medium pimple. Is that right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2008, 19:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to add those comments to my site if you don't mind Kees?

You know I don't, mate :D.

Usagi wrote:
Quote:
The review mentioned that it feels in between being short and medium pimple. Is that right?

They both feel like SP to me, but closer to Friendship 799, which some maintain is a medium pip, than to 802. With a medium pip like the Palio WP 1013 or Friendship 563, I get the feeling sometimes that the ball will drop off the rubber, like with a LP; I didn't ever have that feeling with either 651 or 652.
Maybe this will help to get the right idea, too. Jie Xu, a female Chinese professional playing in the German Bundesliga, uses 652 in 1.8 mm for her single-sided penholder play. She plays quite fast and aggressively, also using topspin strokes frequently to place the ball well and short (when attacking down the line, for instance).
If you're in doubt, maybe you should go for the 652, and try out 1 sheet first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2008, 07:36 

Thanks Kees... I will have a go at 652 then when I get to it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2009, 16:53 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

I have a friend who happens to play with DHS 652, and likes it speedglued -- she could pick up balls lower, probably because the sponge has softened with speedglue.

She's interested in looking for something very similar to DHS 652, now without using speedglue as she's looking for a low-maintenance setup.

Have you guys encountered such a pip?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 01:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I briefly used 652 in black, 1.8 sponge and found it very fast, almost as fast as the regular sponge TSP Spectol I use on my backhand. Both seem to have a similar high throw angle and a lot of spin

I found 652 to be too fast for my forehand compared to 802-1 on 1.5 sponge, but someone using a slower blade might like it.

651 I found marginally more spinny thann C7, but blindingly fast in 2.0 sponge but without enough spin for me to take control. It seemed most similar to 563 but faster. I'd have to perfect my timing to use that effectively, only taking balls at the top of the bounce.

Spintech All Around Penhold blade
Spinlord Keiler II 1.5 black
Nittaku FastArc G1 red

729 all around blade
Tibhar Grass D-Tec S Red
Nittaku FastArc G1 black

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 08:29 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Might her solution be something like Spectol 21 (for the softer sponge) then? I'm getting a sheet of that myself, so I guess I can let her try that first then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 03:53 
Super User

Kees wrote:
haggisv wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to add those comments to my site if you don't mind Kees?

You know I don't, mate :D.

Usagi wrote:
Quote:

They both feel like SP to me, but closer to Friendship 799, which some maintain is a medium pip, than to 802. With a medium pip like the Palio WP 1013 or Friendship 563, I get the feeling sometimes that the ball will drop off the rubber, like with a LP; I didn't ever have that feeling with either 651 or 652.
Maybe this will help to get the right idea, too. Jie Xu, a female Chinese professional playing in the German Bundesliga, uses 652 in 1.8 mm for her single-sided penholder play. She plays quite fast and aggressively, also using topspin strokes frequently to place the ball well and short (when attacking down the line, for instance).
If you're in doubt, maybe you should go for the 652, and try out 1 sheet first.

nice post , what kind of blade that woman uses?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 20:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

bbkon wrote:
Quote:
what kind of blade that woman uses?

I've no idea. Something fast, but not too much so, it seemed to me. I hardly ever look at pro's frames as most of the time they are expensive (exception: He Zhi Wen, who uses a $5 frame) and have far less control than the average amateur needs. I've used the 652 (and 651) myself on a Friendship Red Spirit penholder frame (which is rated ALL or ALL+, say speed somewhere between 8+ en 9-, control 9-, medium hard feel, 7 ply, about 83 grams), which worked OK but for me not as well as the Friendship 802. I've also used it on harder shakehand frames (carbon) and found it very hard to control plus too fast (a lot of balls went over the table); and on softer, European all-round frames which made play much easier but produced less spin-reversal. I think DHS rubbers in general do a bit better on frames which are not too hard, European style, as they produce that kind of frame themselves. But a lot depends on your level of skill; if you're good you'll be able to use faster and/or harder frames with less control, which makes your play faster and more dangerous.