OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 20:10 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Sunflex (Partner, I am not ratting you out. This is a positive acknowlegement) asked me to look at the G-3 review (in Korean) on the ButterflyKorea.net website and possible translate it. Translating it with any sense is to tall an order to make an English speaker understand as the type of language and expressions are way different. So, i try to approximate some points for it to have any semblence of English speaking/thinking, but I give up some of the line by line meaning. Oh well, enough of that. If you REALLY want to fully know it, feel free to ruin your mind studying Korean a decade or two and bang your head and give it a shot yourself in good ole true DIY fashion. Otherwise, get off my back if you don't like it or it doesn't make sense to you. (which some of it surely won't) Having said that, here we go!

Sriver G-3 Butterfly Korea Review

This review is done by Choi, Jung-Hwan, 33, a reviewer for Butterfly Korea, who is a lefty using Primorac Carbon and G3. This review is done in a question and comment format. He also assigns a rating to each area based on 100 points max. Myself, I am an American knowing spoken style Korean, but not so much as technical style Korean stuff like this, which is way different language, but I give it a crack at the high points. All you native Koreans come on out and give this one some justice.

How is the feeling of the G-3 first go around?
There really doesn’t look much that jumps out about huge differences than Sriver. Similar sponge color. The symbol on this one looks to be bigger.

How is the catapult of G3? (Could also mean Elasticity, but looks to mean rebound effect here)
My first hit was rad. Balls penetrated the topsheet a bit then sprung out nicely. It was a refreshing feeling – made me feel right. 90 points for Rebound Power.

How did it feel on Loopdrives?
First, it felt like the rubber and blade were transmitting the feeling to the hand as one stuck together. Second, you could just feel the sponge going to work on both kinds of drives. I have been playing with glued up Sriver forever and tested all kinds… and this one is the closest yet. This Sriver G3 gives you the satisfaction of the gluing era. The ball meets the topsheet, gets stuck in the sponge a bit, and with the rebound of the sponge and blade, then slings out the ball with devastation in your path. Of course the feeing of the rubber is an individual thing, but I think this is the most powerful Sriver yet. Control is as possible as the degree of your swing. Drives with a compact swing and light hits were possible. Th shots landed exactly where I intended to place them – right on the endline. I was really glad to see G3 be able to hit the shots with control. Everyone has a different way to impact the ball, but I feel G3 is suited to provide great control to anyone from a newbie to a seasoned vet. Loopdrive Score: 95 Points

How is the touch of Sriver G3?
Everyone has a different time and position to strike the ball. In my case, the consistent feeling of the timing and ball strike is that of a glued rubber. I could deal with the spin and speed of the ball with excellent feel. This one is the closest glued Sriver. Service and Allround Play – 92 Points.

How does Defense feel with G3?
When you face an opponents attack, your goal is for maximum safety. This version, just as the others allows for the feeling you will do your best to cope. A strength of G3 is it makes me feel like I am gonna give it right back to the guy. This rubber lets me turn the tables. Defense was comfortable. Score 87 Points for the “D” of G3.

Overall Assessment?
When you think of a good rubber, you amp up the spin, give up some speed, and when you leave the speed, you have to like the fall in spin. For ages, everyone has loved glued up Sriver as it excelled in these two things and completely satisfied them. The G3 I felt had Spin power, and I think speed and control across all gears. I think in this non-glue era that G-3 is like your Grandfather’s Sriver to him back then and is an entirely adequate rubber. (I know this sounds corny – help me Korea!) I have tried out every manner of new gear there is to try out. G-3 is the real thing. These are the thoughts I wrote down after using it. Let’s give up 91 Points for Overall.

Everyone please give it up for Sunflex and thank me by not throwing eggs or such on me or a likeness in absentee

Hey, come to think of it, Hedgehog has probably looked at this one and might even have it on his TT site. (Yes, HH runs a big-time Korean TT site on Daum - http://cafe.daum.net/hhtabletennis It is in Korean, but has a few English articles)

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 20:23 
I am Legend
I am Legend

sounds sort of like marketing :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 20:29 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Sounds like a next-generation Sriver (like G2? :lol:) with 'glue-effect'.

Come to think of it, a glued Sriver might not be in the best interests of classic defenders...

But it's nice to hear that it's possible for a good all-around rubber to come back as a very competitive offensive sheet. (VOC-free!)

Der_Echte mate, a :hello1: for you!

Last edited by Yuzuki on 10 Aug 2008, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2008, 20:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks a lot Der_Echte!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 00:15 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
haggisv wrote:
Thanks a lot Der_Echte!

Ditto! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 02:02 

Silver, I remember the Korean review of Bryce Speed you asked me to look at and it was hilarious how much slobber. Maybe mytranslation is hilarious with my spelling and untranslated word or two. Was that Bryce Speed article back in the Wotan days, or in my early days here? Sure it is marketing. Anyone think BTY will pay its employee to say it sucks at this or that? Hand it to the Koreans, there are zero Americans I see doing this.

Wisely, the article left out pricing. At under $30 a sheet, Sriver was also an all time favorite of decent pricing. BTY will surely extract double this price per sheet.

All should thank SUNFLEX and I hope to be better on a different one - I couldn't use dictionary and had to guess at or go with the flow on a dozen words or expressions.

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2008, 14:05 
Super User

Der_Echte wrote:
My first hit was rad.

Haha i'm sold!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Aug 2008, 02:45 

Well, he didn't exactly say that in Korean, but all those boring words that nobody ever uses in plain speech pretty much indicated he was very pleased and excited about it. Calling it rad was the closest and most relevent translation I could render.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2008, 14:04 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Der_Echte wrote:
Silver, I remember the Korean review of Bryce Speed you asked me to look at and it was hilarious how much slobber.

haha, yeah.
Well I guess we'll just have to see how it goes :P