OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 01:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 15:43 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Well I got a chance for a knock with this setup on my training board today. Obviously this has some restrictions on all aspects of the setup, but it gave me a reasonable idea of how this will play.

For those of you that don't know, the T-8 is a blade with 2 layers of Arylate Carbon underneath Juniper top plies (although Rob's site says Hinoki, so not sure). Not sure the middle ply either could be ayous perhaps. I had another CA blade some time ago which was a Xienting ZL603. Very different animal though.

First, let me say how light this setup is despite having added a little weight to it with superglue on the edges and a coat of poly sealer. The whole set up weighs in at a meager 146.5grams! Now I had another setup once that was a similar weight and I played with it just the once. It did nothing for me. And you'd think to make matters worse, the T-8 is rather well balanced, so it doesn't even feel as heavy as it is! :o So I didn't think there'd be much in this for me, and thought another EJ test gone bad. :(

But Wait!!

I started hitting with it. At first I couldn't get much power out of the rapid soft with a flat serve into the board. Couldn't get the ball to come back over the net for a hit. So I pumped a bit more force (a lot more than the HK and Tango needs) in and started them coming back over.

So, first the BH attack shots I've been developing on the C7. Took a while to get going, but wow, I'm liking that Palio. Its viscious! Bites every bit as much as the C7 and the lightness of the blade makes it very easy to maneuvre. I think the opponent will really struggle with these snap flicks I could do with it down the FH side.

Then for the FH Rapid Soft. The rubber doesn't seem quick until you realise the spin you can generate off it with a forward brush style stroke. The rubber just picks the ball up and throws it down with top spin and ping away it goes. Smashing wasn't as good as the HK with Tango of course, but was still good enough to pass most people from over the table. But the topspin/sidespin drive was incredible. The tango can't impart this much spin. And the lightness of the setup made the stroke so easy. At first I was playing the more lumbering style stroke I use for a loop with the HK and I was only getting the ball as far as the net from below table height. But when I realised how much lift and forward projection I could put into the ball and have it topsin down on the other side, this was something else.

Never did I think I could feel power in my bat when it weighed less than 170g. But this little powerhouse is a feather-weight fighting in a super-heavyweight class! Of course the fact that I have OX pimples on one side emphasises the lightness of it, but it packs a punch.

I can't wait to try this blade out on a real opponent, as this is the only way to judge how the spin and punch shots of this bat will be handled. I will have to play in a slightly adjusted manner to the HK, but I feel I have a set up on my hands here that will make for playing in an alternate way that will be lots of fun. And also may be just what I'll need if the HK is letting me down (or should I say if I am letting it down on the night lol).

Of course what I have yet to experience with this set up is how it blocks and pushes and even the chops (I did a few but hard to judge against training board). So there will be some more to report when I face up to a decent player. :wink:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 16:15 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Nice review Reb cant wait to se how it preforms in the real match

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 18:51 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Yep, featherweight lightness with a heavyweight punch when you combine a fast blade, fast rubber, and some OX. :lol:

You also probably mistimed the first few, didn't you? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 21:03 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Btw Reb can you put up some pics of new set up, :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 22:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Sure Purger, here ya go mate!

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 04:18 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Wery nice Reb,thanks :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 12:42 

Thanks for the review.

It IS Juniper, and not hinoki. If you give the blade a tap, you'll know it's not hinoki. Damn stiff blade :P

If you'll permit me to add a few impressions of my own, with various combinations of rubbers on the T-8.

Setup 1:
FH: Joola Mambo GP MAX
BH: Stiga boost TC 2.0

T-8 is a dream away from the table. Able to hit some amazing winners from that distance, with massive topspin. Close to the table, everything seems to go ½ a meter too far with these rubbers. I've always enjoyed Joolas GP rubbers, so i gave it a shot with an old one i had lying around. It's got absolutely amazing control mid/far distance. There's a lack of spin in the mambo possibly due to old age, even tho the surface seems grippy and completely new. But this combo allows you to play some fast paced loop-to-loop away from the table, as well as some controlled flat hitting mid-distance. I won't be using this setup for tourneys, but it's damn fun to practice with.

Setup 2:
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1mm
BH: ?

Not tested. I'm hoping the hardness of the Teny will compensate for the speed T-8 in the short game. Teny has the best short game of all rubbers for me, on any blade i've tried.

Setup 3:
FH: Joola Express 1, 2.0mm
BH: Joola Express 2, 2.0mm

Not tested. Express 2 is still unpurchased, but if things go well with Express 1 tomorrow, i'll grab this sheet before the world-wide express train ends. (Seems to be a sale everywhere). I'm anxious to try the 47 degree Express 1. It would probably have some of the same characteristics in the short game, as Teny05, but it does seem harder.

Overall thoughts:

The T-8, for me, seems to need to be tamed with relatively hard rubbers, to compensate for it's speed, if i want a decent short game.

Setup 2 is ready to go. I don't have anything optimal for the BH yet, so there's a really soft kokutaku blütenkirsche 868 super tacky on there for now.

Setup 3 is almost ready to go. I'm playing a tourney tomorrow with my brand new sheet of Joola express 1 on a W6, but the tenergy already failed for me on this blade. Too high a throw on such a slow blade makes for sloppy play. When the tourney is over, i'll start experimenting.

The "Galaxy experiment", as i call it, is an attempt on my part to see what else is outthere. I was playing consistently with my TBS, but wanted to see if i could introduce some more control into my game. Currently, the W6 is amazing for blocking and controlled looping, but... i have to admit i'm missing the speed of TBS/Tenergy05. T-8 might be my savior here, but i can't be sure until i've experimented some more. I seem to be able to create alot more topspin with this blade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 13:58 

hey zrrbiteDK,

how does the T8 compare to TBS in terms of speed, feel, stiffness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 14:08 

aurelio wrote:
hey zrrbiteDK,

T8 is faster and stiffer, no doubts there. I'm not sure about the characteristics of juniper, but it has some interesting qualities. The feel of the blade is, even tho it's stiff, amazing when combined with slower/softer rubbers as the blade gets to do much of the work. Combined with the low throw of the blade and the ability to produce heavy topspin, i was amazed at my play the first time i tried it at practice. It was like i was playing a different game, but i must stress that it wasn't a well rounded game. Lightning fast, close to the table duels were possible due to low throw and topspin, as well as loop-de-loop far from the table duels. But it was hard to get a feel for short services and short game.

Soft rubbers have a very distinct sound to them on the T8 - the stiffness is really audible.

I still have to experiment a little, but T8 definately has less feel than TBS in the shortgame. I've yet to try Teny05 on T8 tho, i will tomorrow and post results. The T8 is a really interesting blade. I'm hoping i can adapt my game to tame all aspects of the T8. It's not easy.

On a side-note. The T8 has the only FL handle i've ever liked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 16:19 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Hey zrrbiteDK,

Great posts mate! Glad you could join in the review, sounds like you are ahead of me on testing. I think I could really get to like this little blade. You're right. The FL handle is quite comfy. Why wouldn't it be, when the whole bat is so light - well mine is anyway. Any idea on weights with your different setups?

I don't know if you've seen it but we also had a thread that got quite long on the W6 with quite a few joining in with their views. I reckon its great when people contribute their experiences as you've done. You learn more than you could on your own, get more ideas, and make it all the more successful.

Now if only I was willing to try Tenergy! :twisted: Price scares me!! I'll wait to see what you think lol. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 18:04 

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I think I could really get to like this little blade. You're right. The FL handle is quite comfy. Why wouldn't it be, when the whole bat is so light - well mine is anyway. Any idea on weights with your different setups?

It's funny you should mention that, hah. After i posted yesterday, i went and weighed them, out of curiosity, having just read a discussion of the Teny05 weight "issues". I regret not weighing my uncut sheets, but i'll get around to that. I find the Galaxy blade heads a bit larger than normal, i'll need to weigh these too. Note: Kokutaku sheet is really light. The T8 setup might weigh in at a bit more when i throw TC / Joola express 2 on there.

W6 setup weighs 168 grams ( Boost TC + Joola Express, both 2.0)
T8 setup weighs 178 grams ( With tenergy 2.1 + kokutaku 868 2.2 )

This really isn't too bad.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I don't know if you've seen it but we also had a thread that got quite long on the W6 with quite a few joining in with their views. I reckon its great when people contribute their experiences as you've done. You learn more than you could on your own, get more ideas, and make it all the more successful.

You're right, i love threads like these. I'll post my findings inthere on the W6 after today.

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Now if only I was willing to try Tenergy! :twisted: Price scares me!! I'll wait to see what you think lol. :wink:

Haha, good call. It's not something you can simply return :) A new guy at my club insisted on a fast carbon blade / Teny on both sides! He came crawling back to our local store and demanded a refund because he couldn't play with it. That didn't go over well.

I'll be sure to be thorough in the test!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 19:06 
Super User

love this thread.

guys, i am a veteran on T-8 matters. :) including t-8 + tenergy, t-8 + H3, t-8+xiom zeta, t-8 + rapid sound.

i moved to t-4 though recently for as you mentioned "well-rounded game" ... and i might move to something like k-5 for even more rounding.

but no blade gave me the incredibly spinny dipping loops with a distinct 'pop' like a popcorn, as T-8.

this is a great blade if you are ready to compromise some flips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 21:40 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Thanks for the vote of thread confidence debra. But as the T-8 expert (I just assigned you that role :wink: :lol: ), I'd love to hear more of your comments, experiences and analysis of this blade.

I think it has a lot more potential than the W6, even though that is a nice little blade too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 05:35 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

zrrbiteDK wrote:
aurelio wrote:
hey zrrbiteDK,

T8 is faster and stiffer, no doubts there. I'm not sure about the characteristics of juniper, but it has some interesting qualities. The feel of the blade is, even tho it's stiff, amazing when combined with slower/softer rubbers as the blade gets to do much of the work. Combined with the low throw of the blade and the ability to produce heavy topspin, i was amazed at my play the first time i tried it at practice. It was like i was playing a different game, but i must stress that it wasn't a well rounded game. Lightning fast, close to the table duels were possible due to low throw and topspin, as well as loop-de-loop far from the table duels. But it was hard to get a feel for short services and short game.

Soft rubbers have a very distinct sound to them on the T8 - the stiffness is really audible.

I still have to experiment a little, but T8 definately has less feel than TBS in the shortgame. I've yet to try Teny05 on T8 tho, i will tomorrow and post results. The T8 is a really interesting blade. I'm hoping i can adapt my game to tame all aspects of the T8. It's not easy.

On a side-note. The T8 has the only FL handle i've ever liked.

I use both TBS and T-8 (both FL) active for 9 months, but I think I am far from being considered an expert on these two. I concur with ZZBT about the T-8 being faster. (But only by a couple ticks. I'd say TBS is Middle OFF and T-8 is upper OFF or lower OFF +. Most newer rubbers on the T-8 felt realy bouncy at first, so I'd agree the short game is tougher with the T-8. The rubbers settled in after a week or two and played better. I would also agree about the finishing power of the T-8. You can finish from anywhere you decide, as long as you got your position in order. I also agree that the overall feel for the ball is better with the TBS. I have yet to cough up 50 One Dollar Soldiers to get a sheet of Tenergy, so I can not say a thing about it. I found that I could spin the ball pretty well with either blade. I would quickly tell anyone to avoid super soft rubbers such as Sriver FX or Catapult with either blade. The feel for me was way too mushy for the power hits. For USD $30-$45, it is hard to find a blade with this kind of balance and power. I use the TBS more than I use the T-8. I like the fit to my hand a bit better. I'd say the T-8 is a great blade for the money to anyone looking for a somewhat controlable OFF to OFF + stiff composite blade.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Dec 2008, 06:23 

Speedplay, you could always join the United Nations and come work in An Najaf with the reconstruction team. I would let you use the T-8 all you want. I also should get in a sheet of LKT Rapid Sound, Power, and Venus to try out on it by the time you get here. Working with the U.N. , you might also get paid a boatload more money to boot.

T-8? Scoobie Doo, where are you ?? ?? ??

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/