OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 06:52 
Super User

Today I tried my new setup for the first time, Stiga Clipper Wood WRB Flared Legend with Stiga Boost TP max and Xiom Zeta Max. This setup is much more lively compared to my regular setup Gergely boost tp 2.0 and mambo gp max. The Stiga setup has a lot more glue and springy feel. Looping and driving is extremely good with this bat, the spin is incredible and the feel is excellent. Counters are fine, but I noticed the throw is higher and it's more springy compared to my Gergely Bat, so flat counters are a bit more difficult. Blocking is fine as long as you don't move your paddle and close the blade face a little more, because of the springness the ball lands on the end of the table already. there's no need to add extra speed. My problem is I like to punch block to win points, so I missed quite a lot of balls. With my gergely setup the feel is more stable and passive blocks land on the middle of the table. And punch blocks at the end line.

My conclusion is new Stiga Clipper setup is faster,spinnier, higher throw,more springy and also more feel. So it works much better looping and driving. However when countering and blocking the control is less, stability is less and feels to springy for punch block.

My regular Gergely setup is much better for blocking and flat hitting. Because the control is better, more stability, also less springy and lower throw.

This is my first impression of my new setup compared to my regular setup.

Blocking and flat hitting is more my style than looping and because of the better control I still prefer my regular setup for now.

I hope I can practice some more and that I will able to adjust to my new setup.

Last edited by sunflex on 17 Feb 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 13:37 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
clipper faster than gergely???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 14:00 
I am Legend
I am Legend

Maybe MamboGP is really slow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 16:22 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
either that or there's a huge difference between 2.0 and Max Boost TP...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 18:03 
Super User

Maybe the Clipper setup is more springy compared to Gergely because Gergely is very stiff.
I found Clipper very good for blocking , not so good for looping comparing with other blades also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 18:10 
Tomorrow's TT Superstar

Has anyone played with Tenergy 05 and Boost?

I heard Boost was faster then T05? So im rather curious! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 01:44 
Super User

rokphish2 wrote:
clipper faster than gergely???

ofcourse it's about the rubbers. Boost TP Max is much faster compared to Boost TP 2.0, Zeta Asian Max is also faster than Mambo GP. But Still I feel driving looping with a more flexible blade is faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2009, 01:47 
Super User

Ilovetabletennis wrote:
Has anyone played with Tenergy 05 and Boost?

I heard Boost was faster then T05? So im rather curious! 8)

definitely no way. My teammate uses the T05 2.1 on a waldner senso v1 blade I feel it's faster and much more difficult to control my Boost TP Max. This is also to do with the extreme difference in throw angle I think Boost TP is low and Tenergy is very high. I've also tred T64 1.9 on an appelgrenn allplay that felt much better, good speed much better control and still amazing spin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 00:35 
Super User

I just found this post on mytt

[QUOTE=Carbon TT]
A friend of mine has Tube Aluminum, I would say he is about a 1900-2000 level player, he has Boost TP on the forehand and Hurricane 3 on the backhand. It had a mild top heavy feel to it. I do agree that the blade has a very unusual feel to it when looping. If it makes any sense, I would say it feels very stiff but is also soft. It has none of that "tinky" hardness that a lot of composite blades have.

I would also like to mention that the Boost TP on the forehand was a rocket. As a user of Tenergy on a Michael Maze and previously a Schlager Carbon, I am not new to very fast and spinny rackets but this was truly something else, his rubber was only 2.0 as well which made my experiance with it even more surprising. Regular Setup
Blade: BTY Michael Maze
FH Rubber: BTY Tenergy 05
BH Rubber: BTY Tenergy 05
No glue anymore :(

[/QUOTE]

His experience is the opposite of mine regarding Boost TP and Tenergy. It might be a technique issue too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 10:17 
Chinese Forum Spy

Well I've always said Tenergy is slow and nothing special...yesterday I was advising a top aussie player on equipment choices, and he just point blank said Tenergy is slow. So I wouldn't be surprised if TP is faster, since TC is already faster than Tenergy IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 01:39 
Super User

vali wrote:
Maybe the Clipper setup is more springy compared to Gergely because Gergely is very stiff.
I found Clipper very good for blocking , not so good for looping comparing with other blades also.

That's what I was trying too say gergely is very stiff and low throw, clipper has a higher throw and is more flexible that gives more speed on loops and spin IMHO. I reckon clipper has very good feel also compared to other allwood blades, my acoustic might have better feel though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2009, 01:42 
Super User

gekogark1212 wrote:
Well I've always said Tenergy is slow and nothing special...yesterday I was advising a top aussie player on equipment choices, and he just point blank said Tenergy is slow. So I wouldn't be surprised if TP is faster, since TC is already faster than Tenergy IMO.

It's just me probably then, maybe tenergy 05 2.1 just doesn't suit me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2009, 08:01 
Super User

Just tried the Clipper setup for the second time. It's just a lot faster than my Gergely setup. Driving and Looping with the Zeta on the forehand is amazing very good spin, great speed, nice throw and very good feel. Smashing is allright the throw angle is a little higher than I'm used to though, I have to close the paddle more and smash more downwards. Blocking is fine I did some very nice punch and reaction blocks today. Pushing and flipping are excellent too. Zeta is a complete rubber, it does almost everything well but it excells when looping and driving. Boost TP on the backhand is great too, punching and blocking is incredible, very easy to punch winners and block deep into the table, much better control than I first thought. Hitting through backspin is great too just open the paddle and hit through the ball. It's like hitting with hardbat. Looping and Driving is fine good speed and spin, lower throw than zeta, not as nice feel but it's fine. Pushing and flipping is good, it works fine over the table.

Clipper Wood is very nice for both looping and hitting with excellent control and feel. A great punching blade too.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!