OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 16:24 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Stiga Clipper: classic seven-ply all-wood blade

Stiga says:

Famous throughout the world for it’s speed and appreciated particularly by players who want extra power behind their stroke.
Clipper is used by many Asian world class players.

The Clipper all-wood blade is one of the most popular offerings from Stiga. Speed is rated to be 101, control rated at 53
according to the Stiga website.

The Clipper is a seven ply blade, comprising seven wood plies in various thicknesses.
The wood used is said to be limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba.
Similar to quite a few blades in this category (Avalox P700 in particular), this configuration is a traditional thin top ply,
thick center ply construction.

This particular Clipper weighs 95g.

This method of blade construction allows this blade to provide a soft feel when touching the ball, yet provide
excellent flex and springy feel when the ball is hit hard. Crisp feedback is obtained when hitting medium to hard shots.

This is popular with close-to-mid distance players as it allows for good technical play because of the controlled and
slow ball feel in the short game. The blade provides good explosiveness on-table and adequate power during mid-distance rallies.

The make and finish of the Clipper (sample) is rough. The blade comes from the factory unsealed. The blade may require sanding
to obtain a smooth finish, particularly the blade edge. It will be wise to use some sealant to prevent the thin top ply from
splintering when removing rubbers.

---

First impressions:

Hitting a ball on the bare blade, there is a high-pitched ping, quite unlike the Avalox P700 that has a lower pitch.
However, the blade feel is still very similar to the P700, a soft-feeling 7-ply blade.

There is excellent flex and power at a moderate hitting speed.

Gluing up some rubbers onto the blade (Palio Hadou Biotech 2.2mm and RITC 802-40 2.2mm in particular), the ping is now quite muted,
and the difference between the P700 and the Clipper in feel is more apparent. The Avalox P700 has a deep tone with quite
a lot of dwell feel, which makes it suitable to hard rubbers. The Clipper retains it's higher-pitched tone, but the feel is quite stiffer,
perhaps more suiting to softer, perhaps speedglued or tuned Chinese rubbers.

I anticipate that the Clipper is stiffer version of the P700 by a notch. It may be due to the slightly different thicknesses used in the
wood plys and the wood used. The slight difference in stiffness perhaps would translate to a slight speed increase and control (perceived)
decrease over the P700.

The Avalox P700 and the Stiga Clipper are quite similar in make and construction, which leads one to suspect that they are manufactured
in the same wood factory.

Last edited by Yuzuki on 26 Jun 2009, 22:53, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 17:00 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Great pics Yuz! I take it you haven't hit with it yet, so I assume there is more review coming?

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 17:03 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
wowwww your pics are getting better and better yuz....

nice addition to your arsenals...

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 19:05 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

Good Photos makes me want to try one

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 20:17 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Great pics Yuz! I take it you haven't hit with it yet, so I assume there is more review coming?

Yes, tomorrow when I either play a match (granted, it's a new setup, but familiar rubbers) or drill with the kids (blocking and fine touch will be tested).

rokphish2 wrote:
wowwww your pics are getting better and better yuz....

nice addition to your arsenals...

Many thanks. Just glued up the bat, hit a few balls against the wall, and I must say: there is still quite a bit of difference in feel between the P700 and the Clipper. The feel of 'rebound' and 'dwell' is faster in the Clipper. But I would still insist in a knock-up for a good trial and observation.

rodderz wrote:
Good Photos makes me want to try one

Thanks! I hope to get better in making these reviews of popular blades for people who like playing with different material, in this case, short pimples.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 20:19 
Super User

Beautiful photos. I must get back my camera and shoot some for my blades again. No more shooting with my mobile phone.

3. Btty Viscaria: Gambler SS , and Outlaw.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 21:35 
Super User

What I've noticed : my Clipper(90 gms) is low throw and P700(87 gms) is high trow. Clipper more suitable for blocks and P700 more suitable for a spin game. Easier to generate spin with P700 , P700 is thinner than Clipper.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 04:50 
Super User

Yuzuki wrote:
Stiga Clipper: classic seven-ply all-wood blade

This method of blade construction allows this blade to provide a soft feel when touching the ball, yet provide
excellent flex and springy feel when the ball is hit hard. Crisp feedback is obtained when hitting medium to hard shots.

This is popular with close-to-mid distance players as it allows for good technical play because of the controlled and
slow ball feel in the short game. The blade provides good explosiveness on-table and adequate power during mid-distance rallies.

The make and finish of the Clipper (sample) is rough. The blade comes from the factory unsealed. The blade may require sanding
to obtain a smooth finish, particularly the blade edge. It will be wise to use some sealant to prevent the thin top ply from
splintering when removing rubbers.

---

First impressions:

Hitting a ball on the bare blade, there is a high-pitched ping, quite unlike the Avalox P700 that has a lower pitch.
However, the blade feel is still very similar to the P700, a soft-feeling 7-ply blade.

There is excellent flex and power at a moderate hitting speed.

Gluing up some rubbers onto the blade (Palio Hadou Biotech 2.2mm and RITC 802-40 2.2mm in particular), the ping is now quite muted,
and the difference between the P700 and the Clipper in feel is more apparent. The Avalox P700 has a deep tone with quite
a lot of dwell feel, which makes it suitable to hard rubbers. The Clipper retains it's higher-pitched tone, but the feel is quite stiffer,
perhaps more suiting to softer, perhaps speedglued or tuned Chinese rubbers.

I anticipate that the Clipper is stiffer version of the P700 by a notch. It may be due to the slightly different thicknesses used in the
wood plys and the wood used. The slight difference in stiffness perhaps would translate to a slight speed increase and control (perceived)
decrease over the P700.

The Avalox P700 and the Stiga Clipper are quite similar in make and construction, which leads one to suspect that they are manufactured
in the same wood factory.

This is a follow up to Yuzuki's review of the Stiga Clipper which I also purchased and tested yesterday.

My Clipper (Master) weighs only 93 gram as opposed to Yuzuki's 95 grams.
Paddle Palace, to their credit, fulfilled their promise to provide me with a lighter blade and a digital scale confirmed this.

As a brief background, I am a regular user of the Avalox 700-FL with TSP Spectol 2.1 mm short pips on both sides.

Visually, the Clipper blade clearly appears thicker than the Avalox.
I can also confirm the higher pitched tone of the ball when bounced on the bare blade.

I glued the Spectol pips on the Clipper and this setup is definitely heavier compared to the Avalox one, perhaps by 5-8 grams and I had to get used to the increased weight and thickness.

Upon counterhitting with the blade, Clipper is clearly faster and crispier. There is less flex and less dwell time.

The throw is lower than Avalox in view of the fact that I kept on hitting the net in the midst of forehand rallies (and cost me to a lot of points in general).

I could not really top spin as much in view of the quick bounce off the blade and this threw me off my game. This might require an adjustment of technique.

The best aspect was that my backhand punches and blocks were powerful and fast paced.
Even I was surprised on how easy it was to generate those speedy shots. My backhand usually tends to land high (and often out) but the lower throw of the Clipper compensated for that. A number of my usual opponents complimented me on my numerous back hand kills and punches. With Avalox, my forehand usually dominates the shots but this time my backhand just seemed to fit so well the new blade.

With respect to control, I believe the Avalox is slightly ahead due to its lesser speed but the Clipper, with regular use and training, should not be difficult to master.

Bottom line:

I consider these two blades to be really separate and distinct creatures. It has been said that the Avalox is a clone of the Clipper but my experience proves otherwise. They are different in feel and performance. Clipper is stiffer and hard hitting while Avalox has flex but still with room for power.

If one wants to have more spin, Avalox would do well while Clipper easily fits into a hitting-dominant style.

It is difficult to really decide which one is better suited for my short pips game in view of the fact that I have used the Avalox for a number of months already but adjusting to the Clipper should be another voyage of discovery.

--------------and--------------------
TSP Spinpips 21 - 2.0 mm - FH
TSP Spectol 21 - 2.1 mm - BH
BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 07:19 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

amateur101 wrote:
Upon counterhitting with the blade, Clipper is clearly faster and crispier. There is less flex and less dwell time.

The throw is lower than Avalox in view of the fact that I kept on hitting the net in the midst of forehand rallies (and cost me to a lot of points in general).

I could not really top spin as much in view of the quick bounce off the blade and this threw me off my game. This might require an adjustment of technique.

I believe this is both a blessing and a curse. It is a fair bit faster, yet with less dwell, which made it difficult for you to play your usual game.

I also believe that Kees mentioned a similar case with his son playing with an all-wood blade, then they tried out a carbon blade for him, then went back to playing the all-wood blade because the intended speed increase came about with decreased consistency.

Clipper may probably require spinnier, higher-throw pips for you,as well as for me if I intended to use it like so.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 08:10 
Super User

Yuzuki wrote:

I believe this is both a blessing and a curse. It is a fair bit faster, yet with less dwell, which made it difficult for you to play your usual game.

I also believe that Kees mentioned a similar case with his son playing with an all-wood blade, then they tried out a carbon blade for him, then went back to playing the all-wood blade because the intended speed increase came about with decreased consistency.

Clipper may probably require spinnier, higher-throw pips for you,as well as for me if I intended to use it like so.

Although my forehand attacks were disappointing, I could not help but think of Canada's Johnny Huang who successfully used short pips mounted on the Clipper and also the carbon blade Stilo Z. Of course, he is a trained world class athlete while I am not even close. Nevertheless, all I can do is remain hopeful.

I fully agree that the faster blade is both a blessing and a curse. My backhand hits were a impressive with its speed and power while forehand spin attacks just went awry.

I shall give it month of practice (and probably a lot of beating...) before I make my final decision.

With respect to Avalox 700, I am of the opinion that it is a very stable blade well suited for use of inverted rubber on side and short pips on the other - just like Wang Tao.

BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2009, 13:22 

Fortunately I have tried both blades as well, with Clipper first and then P700. In fact, you might remember my first impression of P700 being so "flexy" compared to Clipper, but overall still a 7-ply wood blade (in a thread posted last week).

I agree with comments above, particularly the strong BH block and punch by Clipper. I made so many points doing it with Clipper but now have little difficulty performing good block with P700 as P700 is less stiff. However, looping with P700 is a joy as you don't have to try as hard as using Clipper, with the help of trampoline effect of P700. However, you still can produce very spinny and strong loop with Clipper with little adjustment of technique: you must swing / accelerate faster when looping. Few players commented my FH loops using Clipper as powerful and spinny, while those same players said that my FH loops using P700 was spinnier but less powerful.

Oh, one more thing to note: P700 has higher throw than Clipper, so it is naturally better for looping underspin but worse for blocking (you need to close your blade more).

Anyway, you can't go wrong using either Clipper or P700, but I agree that both are not identical because they require quite an adjustment to be as effective.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 04:58 
Super User

Ultraman wrote:
Fortunately I have tried both blades as well, with Clipper first and then P700. In fact, you might remember my first impression of P700 being so "flexy" compared to Clipper, but overall still a 7-ply wood blade (in a thread posted last week).

I agree with comments above, particularly the strong BH block and punch by Clipper. I made so many points doing it with Clipper but now have little difficulty performing good block with P700 as P700 is less stiff. However, looping with P700 is a joy as you don't have to try as hard as using Clipper, with the help of trampoline effect of P700. However, you still can produce very spinny and strong loop with Clipper with little adjustment of technique: you must swing / accelerate faster when looping. Few players commented my FH loops using Clipper as powerful and spinny, while those same players said that my FH loops using P700 was spinnier but less powerful.

Oh, one more thing to note: P700 has higher throw than Clipper, so it is naturally better for looping underspin but worse for blocking (you need to close your blade more).

Anyway, you can't go wrong using either Clipper or P700, but I agree that both are not identical because they require quite an adjustment to be as effective.

I have been using the Stiga Clipper for about 2 weeks now and have adjusted to its stiffer feel and increased pace as opposed to the Avalox 700.

It is really an excellent stable blade and I have played quite well with it.

Just for fun, I tried the Avalox again for a few minutes and was quite surprised by the very distinct soft feel of the wood.

Kees mentioned sometime before about using a stiffer sponge with a softer blade and so I glued my Spectol Speed (45 degrees hardness) on my Avalox 700 in order to gauge its performance as compared to Clipper with the soft-sponged Spectol 21. The next few days shall be interesting.

BBC 9-10-9

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 07:16 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

amateur101 wrote:
I have been using the Stiga Clipper for about 2 weeks now and have adjusted to its stiffer feel and increased pace as opposed to the Avalox 700.

It is really an excellent stable blade and I have played quite well with it.

Just for fun, I tried the Avalox again for a few minutes and was quite surprised by the very distinct soft feel of the wood.

Kees mentioned sometime before about using a stiffer sponge with a softer blade and so I glued my Spectol Speed (45 degrees hardness) on my Avalox 700 in order to gauge its performance as compared to Clipper with the soft-sponged Spectol 21. The next few days shall be interesting.

Good job there, amateur101! Glad to hear about your experiences.

Please do tell if you find harmony with a harder sponge using the Avalox P700. I have a friend who is choosing between either, and would like to recommend one to match the rubbers he already has.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2010, 20:26 

They are made in different factories. I have heard that avalox are made in the Yasaka factory....

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2010, 01:11 
Super User

Would tenergy 05 + 64 fit well on this blade or would it be a bad combination..