OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2023, 01:02 
More Block Than Bite

Hey everyone. I've been out of the game for quite a while and am getting back into playing recently. When I left, I mainly used Dornenglanz OX or .06 zero air sponge on BH. I see that Dornenglanz is now offered in the color BLUE and wondered if anyone has tried it yet? I've always favored red LP since they seem to have slightly less grip than black, so I wonder how blue compares in the mix. I've read the DTecs in acid green thread and most seem to believe there isn't a difference while others say there may be some difference and I'm not trying to stir that pot again lol. I do love the look of a blue rubber so I will have to try it out eventually. Thoughts?

Donic Defplay Senso | Yasaka Mark V 2.0 | SL Dornenglanz OX

Donic Defplay Senso | Butterfly Sriver | Testing

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2023, 18:35 

Dawg15 wrote:
Hey everyone. I've been out of the game for quite a while and am getting back into playing recently. When I left, I mainly used Dornenglanz OX or .06 zero air sponge on BH. I see that Dornenglanz is now offered in the color BLUE and wondered if anyone has tried it yet? I've always favored red LP since they seem to have slightly less grip than black, so I wonder how blue compares in the mix. I've read the DTecs in acid green thread and most seem to believe there isn't a difference while others say there may be some difference and I'm not trying to stir that pot again lol. I do love the look of a blue rubber so I will have to try it out eventually. Thoughts?

You mean Doirnenglanz but first version? not second and third?

Czopiarze - Tenis stołowy sklep - Sprzęt do tenisa stołowego | Ping Pong | Okładziny do tenisa stołowego | Deski do tenisa stołowego | Tenis stołowy | Długie czopy - Tenis stołowy | Krótkie czopy - Tenis stołowy | GEWO - Tenis stołowy | Der-Materialspezialist - Tenis stołowy | Tibhar - Tenis stołowy | Spinlord - Tenis stołowy

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2023, 20:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
https://spinlord-tt.de/products/dornenglanz/

Would you please read the last paragraph?

It seems the Blue version is less effective

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2023, 03:30 
More Block Than Bite

CzopiarzePL wrote:
Dawg15 wrote:

You mean Doirnenglanz but first version? not second and third?
Yes dornenglanz original version. I haven’t tried version 2 or 3 as I’ve read they aren’t quite as good though they may be more durable. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2023, 03:33 
More Block Than Bite

charmander defender wrote:
https://spinlord-tt.de/products/dornenglanz/

Would you please read the last paragraph?

It seems the Blue version is less effective
Thank you for sharing that. I ended up ordering a sheet so we will see how it plays once it arrives. Probably will take a couple weeks to arrive so still open to hear any opinions from anyone who has played it. I still love doenenglanz even more than the sheets of DTecs I have. I do enjoy chopping with Fent OX and Palio but doenenglanz is best for blocking and chop blocking and I can attack decent with it to surprise opponent as well so it’s what I use mostly. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2023, 20:57 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
DG is a very very good rubber, only drawback is durability.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2023, 02:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
No breaking effect, trajectory a bit higher than desired ,not very good for pushing but still the best for reversal and disruption .Much ,much better than Dtchs.D.tchs is very good for pushing and for its breaking effect but reversal is overrated.DG is by far the best for annoying your opponent . Durability is the reason why the ITTF won't ban this pip.They know people will get bored with broken pips in less than 6 months

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 04:12 
More Block Than Bite

Thanks to everyone who replied. I did end up ordering a sheet of blue so we will see how it goes. As for durability of DG, I don't mind it at all. Red lasts me long enough and I have a few blades with DG on BH so I can always change blades if needed and order a new sheet for a worn out one. And since they are only 25 usd it isn't too bad a hit for a new sheet (I have 6 sheets atm lol). Finally got my son into playing so my main concern at this point is building him a decent beginners paddle lol. All my blades are defense, so I'll probably grab a cheap ALL blade and some all rubbers to get him going. thx

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 20:15 
Super User

For your son buy a Stiga All Round Classic or similar.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 21:22 
More Block Than Bite

merlin el mago wrote:
For your son buy a Stiga All Round Classic or similar.

Thank you. I’m not all that familiar with ALL blades since all mine are DEF but I ordered a Donic Applegreen AllPlay. Hope that’s a decent starter blade. Now to get some ALLROUND rubbers that aren’t to fast or spin sensitive lol.

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2023, 21:34 
More Block Than Bite

Ok so I got that sheet of blue Dornenglanz last night and had a quick session with it. I even played against it for about half the session (switching between blue and red on the same type blade) and I have to say it plays very close to the same. While playing it I couldn’t really tell a difference but while playing against it (topspin to block with dornenglanz) there is still plenty of reversal imo. I had to lift the backspin slightly more with the red but blue still comes back with decent amount. Time will tell with more sessions but considering the blue is a new sheet and the red has many hours on it, I think it’s pretty good. I’ll post back once I get more hours on the blue sheet and play against some heavier loopers.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 01:48 
Super User

Thanks for your feedback.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 04:03 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Dawg15 wrote:
Ok so I got that sheet of blue Dornenglanz last night and had a quick session with it. I even played against it for about half the session (switching between blue and red on the same type blade) and I have to say it plays very close to the same. While playing it I couldn’t really tell a difference but while playing against it (topspin to block with dornenglanz) there is still plenty of reversal imo. I had to lift the backspin slightly more with the red but blue still comes back with decent amount. Time will tell with more sessions but considering the blue is a new sheet and the red has many hours on it, I think it’s pretty good. I’ll post back once I get more hours on the blue sheet and play against some heavier loopers.

Does it still come with a sticky plastic sheet covering the pips side? I remember taking it off and thinking "well, that probably added quite a bit of friction to the pips in the beginning"

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 06:12 
More Block Than Bite

pgpg wrote:
Does it still come with a sticky plastic sheet covering the pips side? I remember taking it off and thinking "well, that probably added quite a bit of friction to the pips in the beginning"

Yes, it does. That could add some grip in the beginning but I'm sure it rubs off quickly. I actually appreciate that they add that plastic sheet over the pips because it makes them much easier to glue to the blade. As anyone who has tried this knows, it can be tricky at times lol. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years but still make mistakes.

I'll try to post a pic when I get home so everyone who is interested can see the color of them. It's more of a lighter blue (baby blue) color.

I think it's nice that they opened it up to more color options honestly. It's a simple thing but I like it.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2023, 08:25 
Super User

I’ve now had a few months with Dornenglanz ox (blue) playing four times a week which I think is sufficient time for the rubber to play at its optimum. Easy rubber to play with and unfortunately to play against. It really isn’t in the same class as grass dtech. Every opponent thought it was easy to play against as the reversal/disturbance just isn’t there. Yes you can hit better with it but that’s not the priority for me with a long pimple. Experiment over back to dtech.