OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 01:36 
Super User

Blade: OSP Ultimate
FH: DrN Dominance Spin Hard
BH: DrN Troublemaker 0.5
Somebody in a German forum did a very nice review of the Viper including a good video showing different techniques. Here the original forum post in German:
http://www.pimp-my-blade.de/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3404&view=unread#unread
And here the youtube video link:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 09:12 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Great video! That guy has really good skills! :clap:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 09:41 
Super User

Great find Matt and I agree with haggisv. I have seen earlier videos of him playing TSP P1r, Bomb Talent, Grass D. TecS and also video reviews of many other long pips. He is one of my favourite long pips players. :up:

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 16:52 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Here is google translate from the gentlemac's post (Yes, he has great skills! :o ):

Quote:
gentlemac

Re: Dr. Neubauer VIPER

BeitragDo March 24, 2016, 02:22

So, after about a year LSD I am gone on the wagon and have time for fun the Viper it stuck from Doc to explore the acclaimed offensive options. : Mrgreen:

Test object is a red Viper ox on a recent NSD in original size (with handle shortening). The forehand was with Tenergy 64 is in 1.7mm.

What first strikes: The film ... well. Have been worse seen, but also significantly improved. One need when sticking a bit knack for not immediately produce a rubber ball. It also is advisable to seal the wood before and apply a thin layer VOC adhesive. So you get the thing afterwards also healing back down.

Point two is somewhat unusual The J.T.T.A.A. and the ITTF stamp with approval number are located very far apart, so that inevitably either make one or the other print unreadable mounting on standard sheets. For central installation on a normal sized wood both stamp rules are cut off in the middle ... somehow unhappy and actually lt. Also not permitted. For large sheets as the NSD, it just fits and therefore represents a problem for me since. I have two copies here and are dbzgl. identical. There should possibly rework. The flap is down anyway enough space.

Now to the essence, namely, the game features:

First impression: Wow! If the safe! Feels right well. A very variable knob with which you can play almost anything. So The Viper comes in the all direction. The comparisons with D.TecS from OOAK forum can I NOT understand. Much more feels a softer sheen reminiscent Dorn (similar playing feel). No Flummieffekt or catapult available. Even the disruptive effect moves the NSD approximately at the same level. As previously wrote someone else, opponents hit happy times on the ball pass or make the occasional slight error because the ball bounces extremely flat out.

What really stands out but to take the short-short game and the possibility of roll ups and topspin extremely short. No other Noppe that goes so safe with me. The Viper is really easy to play and has very good offensive options, pushing and counter / beat develop a remarkable pace, while the block are still well braked with passive attitude bat. The coating reacts natured and forgiving on incoming spin and will most like played at your table. Also about a meter behind the board is the US enough to the enemy to annoy sustainable. The charge acceptance designed generally very easy. In attack go all knobs techniques, but also a NI-counter is reliable playable. For ox currently probably the measure of all things.

At first I was convinced that even the maximum spin from the long defense loose enough to avoid being shot down. The balls stay there anytime very flat and easy to control, but I had to end up sorry to say that the Viper at max. US is quite a bit away from D.TecS, LSD and even from BT. He reigns from the back rather RF level, which its strengths indeed rather has at the table.

Until opponents-TTR ~ 1700 tailing was not really possible, the rude awakening comes then so from TTR ~ 1800 ... there is gerohrt the Viper until the knobs fly. One can certainly bring, yes, again, yes ... but not dangerous! It seemed to me to provoke hardly possible shelves. This is far more effective with D.TecS and consorts, although average exchange can be performed easily.

So it is kind of a question of the application area. Until 1700 TTR at the table 1+ asterisked because of the security and the offensive options, the regular course in the long defense rather useful (because safely) to grow by (because too dangerous). For most of the LN (ox) player which certainly somewhere between TTR ~ 1300 to ~ 1600 "rumkrökelt", the Viper is really a great development. It remains to be seen how he plays long against stronger opponents. For this I still need the experience, but I'll stay tuned!

Oh, there are also a small test video describing what my buddy Croudy has prepared for interested LN Group:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kdRKQf6Cwc

I've played around on the day a lot and tries to get a maximum variety of impressions from Viper ox. Teams no. 1 (TTR ~ 1600) currently playing Niedersachsenliga youth and 1. BCC Men and attacks on both sides, with good technique and topspin on. When Viper him annoyed most the extremely short stop balls and bunt that you can play with instinctive precision. I could move him virtually at will and at any time had an outstanding control. Did not like it. : D

Teams no. 2 (TTR ~ 1860) plays BZL front (like myself) and next season Verbandsliga rear / center. He ... There then were the limits of the Viper reached a very clean technique and a board tough TS game with both sides Tenergy max. It is broken down literally in defense for lack US and can score only on the placement or forehand. Also, I could not stay at the table, because the attack took place just here in the pages too fast and long. Did not like it. :?

Nevertheless, the Viper a really interesting Noppe for the game at the table and finally probably the most exciting new development in the GRIN-sector. We have to mention that this pad is suitable for a GLN like delaying game, but its strengths clearly has the active pimples game. Who itself gladly takes the initiative and the opponent bets on placement and pace under pressure, is definitely the place to be! The use of faster woods, with still good control, is distinguished from the Viper.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 17:11 
Super User

I have now played with Viper couple of times and I have mixed feeling about it.

Positives

+ Good braking effect
+ Good disturbance
+ Steady safety in basic chopping and rolling
+ Insensitive to spin in service returns
+ Nice emergency saves from the far BH corner

Negatives

- Unlinearity compared to CC
- Short game is hard for me to get right touch.
- Unstability against hard pounding. Against hard looper I couldn't find the same consistency as with CC.
- Sensitivity to blade angle and hand speed in chopping hard loops (With CC you can just put the blade in the way and result is predictable)
- Floater balls that sail long if you don't do swipes or if you try to do something special and speedy.
- More easy mistakes than with CC, which can be result from lack of practive with Viper (and definately is).
- Chicken wing play more difficult than with CC.

Practice set have gone reasonably well and the results have nearly as good as with my long time pip CC, so Viper can't be that bad. And Viper is at least "effective" as CC, because of all kinds of disturbance effects.

Like allways, we come to the easy mistakes and stability of the pips. Can Viper give as stable performace as CC in real tournament play?

Last edited by Roy on 25 Mar 2016, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 18:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The 'instability' you feel may be due to the pips being so soft, which tend to have more 'random effect than stiffer LPs. Coming from Dtecs, another very soft long pimple, it did not really notice the difference, but if you change from the stiffer LP it may be more noticable.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2016, 19:22 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
The 'instability' you feel may be due to the pips being so soft, which tend to have more 'random effect than stiffer LPs. Coming from Dtecs, another very soft long pimple, it did not really notice the difference, but if you change from the stiffer LP it may be more noticable.

Yes, it's exactly that! 8)

At lower pace chopping and rolling I have time to "calculate" the behavior of soft pips, but with faster pace shots I have use my reflexes and the outcome is not allways expected. :^)

So with Viper you have have more skills to use the softness of pips to your advantage, as with stiffer CC you kind of more often get what you put in the ball. Like with hitting I notice that there is some correct tecnique with Viper to get reliable result, but my technique is more random and so are the results.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 01:27 
Super User

Roy, I see you had used Dornenglanz in the past. How would you compare Viper to Dornenglanz?

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 02:07 
Super User

fazer227 wrote:
Roy, I see you had used Dornenglanz in the past. How would you compare Viper to Dornenglanz?

DG was great with Defplay, for my CWX blade it was way too fast. Viper is just about right speed with CWX.

DG and Viper feel quite different. For me biggest difference is in swipe department. With DG you can just bump the ball or play passive, while the Viper's soft pips need somekind of swiping shot to get control.

I am more used to DG kind of "linear" pips, where output is predictable in passive plays. It's the same kind of difference as playing with sponged pips. With sponge you can't just put the blade there.

Cropcircles

I bought new sheet of Cropcircles ox, as my old sheet has had lot of mileage. New sheet is twice as grippy as the old.

CC is kind of opposite of Viper, althought the speed is close in many shots (CC is slower). CC is ultimate retrievers ox pip or "beginners" ox pip. Everything goes to table, but funkiness is missing. You get what you put in the ball.

It cames to same old question, do you want to be as safe as possible, or do you want disturbing pips that disturb both you and the opponents? Anyway, it's clear that CC is very good in pips vs pips pushing duels.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 10:14 

Played for a couple of hours on NSD and was mildly disappointed. Despite previous reviews, it definitely seemed faster than GD. Blocks to the corners were ok but the ones to the center went long. Reversal is fine but not that different from GD. I'll try to play with it some more. Hopefully it will grow on me...

PostPosted: 20 May 2023, 04:27 
Super User

Blade: Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Gewo Proton Neo 450
BH: Desperado Reloaded OX
Great long pimples for attack!!

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/R1P2dEGKKpY

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!