OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Review: Sanwei CODE
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 10:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
haggisv wrote:
vanjr wrote:
Interestingly, although the vendor sold it in 1.0 sponge, all 6 of my sheets had sponge thicknesses stamped at 0.5 (1 sheet), 0.7 (2 sheets) and 0.8 (3 sheets). That is surprising-I doubt I can tell the difference in sheets if the numbers are real, but it does imply to me that the manufacturer is paying close attention to quality control.

That's one way to look at it... but on the other hand some people would prefer to get 1mm if they order 1mm, and get the same thickness everytime. It's good that they mark it, but with better quality control they should be able to get more consistant sheets.

Very good point! I am i this case happy that my sheets are less than 1.0 sponge because if that had been available I would prefer 0.5-1 rather than 1-1.5. I would have been very upset it all the sheets had been 1.2-1.5 which would be wrong in the other direction. Unfortunately I ordered these sheets based on price as much as anything else.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 11:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

manofan wrote:
hey

plz make a review...
btw ur a chopper rigth?
i just ordered this and it will be here this week.

thanks

I am a chopper wanna be.

Here is my review-I have been using TSP P1r for the last 2-3 years, but have tried many chinese LP and a few others-the last 2 years have been with sponge and before that entirely in OX. I decided to order 6 sheets of sanwei code in the middle of an equipment shift. I have gone is a slower blade and was considering trying the soon to be released P4 chopping rubber from TSP, however I like to have at least 1 back up blade and actually now have 3 identical blades with FH outlaw classic max. Several years ago I had bought a long assortment of chinese LP with sponge and tried them all-the one that had the softest, most supple topsheet was sanwei code. I really like a soft topsheet and like pips that bend. I prefer to chop and I figured I would code a ride and see if it worked for me. For 60 dollars plus shipping I was able to get 6 sheets-if I had waited for P4 I may have ended up spending at least 35 a sheet. I still have P1r if I do not like it.

So far I have found code to be very controlable. I can chop, block and even hit with it. Off the table it is grippy enough that I can do a "inverted style" block or counter on slow spinny high loops-a shot I did not think was really possible with LP. It does not chop as easy as P1r, but it hits and blocks better. I am not sure how long I will go with it, but likely at least 6 months to a year.

As I said the pips bend and have friction-they are not as stiff as other rubbers I have tried recently-palio 531a, 979, pogo. They do seem similar to double fish 1615. If this doesn't work out I will try P4. However the longer I play with LP the more and more convinced I am that you can adapt your technique to your equipment-I think I can adjust my stroke to any soft pip that has friction-I don't think my mind or game could adapt to frictionless or lower friction such as pogo (which I tried extensively for months).

Look forward to your report as well.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 18:05 
Super User

This rubber is quite strange when play off the table.

If you chop the incoming topspin ball lightly , it will become very high spin reversal. However, if you chop it harder , it will become no spin ball. Many of my friends make a lot of error returning my ball.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2012, 23:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Still very happy with the play of this rubber. I ordered a couple of red sheets as well, but have not used them.

Bottom line-excellent LP for chopping and countering slow topspin off the table. I am not much of a pushblocker-except for serve returns-but it seems OK for that. Inexpensive, high quality, well packaged. All sheets I have tried have had similar high quality with no variation. No broken pips yet-despite hitting the ball more than ever-however I am not at any 6 month or 1 year use yet. I will say Code is working so well for me that my EJ itch for P4 or other LP is effectively zero!

Bad-No North American continental vendor (I have ordered all my sheets from eacheng) and thus no easy way to quickly get a replacement. I am stocked up, so I am good.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2012, 17:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
I'm still waiting for my Sanwei CODE 0.5-1.0mm to arrive from Eacheng.net (ordered Dec 31) I'll post my findings here when I've had a chance to try it.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2012, 00:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

nathanso wrote:
I'm still waiting for my Sanwei CODE 0.5-1.0mm to arrive from Eacheng.net (ordered Dec 31) I'll post my findings here when I've had a chance to try it.

Interesting. I made an order on Jan 13 (2 sheets of code in red and 1 of sanwei T-1) and have received it last week. When I have ordered larger orders in the past it has taken longer-but this is the shortest receipt time I have had from him. I look forward to your review.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 05:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My Sanwei CODE arrived today. Its pink sponge is marked 0.5. Scrunchy fellow, this CODE. Reminiscent of 388D-1, perhaps. Feels light. Don't recall if I've ever received a vacuum-packed LP before.. can't hurt, right?! I'll be testing it tonight on my robot.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 16:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Wheee! This is fun rubber.

Everything lands on the table, or so it seems. It chops. It tops. It drives dead balls. From on the table or five feet back. It can even execute the seldom seen BH LP loop.. and with more arc than any LP I've had the pleasure of (ab)using. No ball disruption that I can discern; sorry wobble fans.

As an added bonus, it seems to be quite good at generating spin on serve. Added up, it's promising enough to make me sideline my newfound UPUPUPUP US for my club's upcoming weekly RR. (Note to self: Stop EJing! NATT is only three weeks away, you boron!)

Vanjr.. How did you order CODE in those other sponge thicknesses? Eacheng.net's website doesn't seem to allow someone to specify thickness.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 21:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I ordered 6 sheets and I got a random mix of sponge thicknesses. I wonder if you can send him a message or note when you order? That said I have 3 unopened black sheets with 0.8 sponge, 1 unopened with 0.7 and two unopened red with 0.5. If there is some thing you want in that mix and you do need it quickly then PM me and I will be glad to send you a sheet (we can do a trade or something for cost or figure out later-that is the great thing about 10 dollar LP vs 45 dollar TSP!).

I agree with you in regards to being able to drive "top spin" shots from off the table. One club mate just shakes his head in disbelief every time i do that-he says-it has topspin, but not as much as it looks. The ability to spin the ball on serves is very nice you can actually do spin manipulation-vary between none and some and get opponent serve return errors. My coach says i do get some wooble on serve returns if I do it right.

I still fear you may break some LP with how hard you hit the ball.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2013, 00:09 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I have a sheet of OX Code in Black. Wondering on this as the inverse of Gambler reflectoid on a large slow blade (such as Juic Euro Chopper). Play mostly pushing and chopping, twiddle often, near and mid distance.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 05:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I glued the Code in black OX to a Joola Feyer-Konnerth Light blade (ALL blade, 78 grams, great control; it has been discontinued some years ago though) for my eldest son, who (at 19) has had a collapsed lung a few weeks ago and needs to change from single-sided pips-out penholder to a less energy-consuming style. He decided he'd try a style like Pascal Tröger plays, but didn't want a really slick LP or a set-up that was too defensive. What he was after is something like what he used to do: backhand blocking and occasional attack combined with forehand quick attack - but also now the possibility to back away from the table to gain time and to absorb the power of the attack of the opponent. So: LP/SP on a moderately fast blade. I put a Friendship Legend 105 1.9 red on the forehand, which is very fast and also capable of spin as well as disruption. But the Code on his backhand should make the combination work for him, allowing him to catch his breath, again and again, using defensive spells between bouts of attack.
He has only been well enough to train for a week, and played his first matches yesterday night with his team, for the championship in their class. He lost two, won the last. One of his team-mates had to give up in the first match because of injury; the other one is the weakest member. So they went down with 9-1. Being capable to improve enough to finally win a match under these difficult circumstances, convinced him this set-up will work.

He found the Code very reliable and easy to play with. It chops heavy backspin off incoming topspin; when he'd got the hang of it, his opponents looped into the net on the 2nd or 3rd return (and they play at the highest provincial level). He said it is very easy to keep the ball very low over the net, even if incoming topspin is heavy and fast, and placement is very precise. When they pushed, he used the Code to push aggresively or sideswipe fast; very few of those came back - the Code is slow, but attacks very fast. Being in poor shape of course, he had some trouble coming in when the opponent dropped the ball short after he chopped; that is why he lost the 2nd match (losing the 1st getting used to the set-up); but in the 3rd match his chops were so heavy that drops of the opponent landed close to the baseline (or went over the table) and that made it easier to get to them.

I won't claim this is a miracle LP; on the contrary, it is a very simple and straightforward one, and that is why it works so well, at least if you are willing to work for it yourself. It is an LP to rely on for a very solid chopping defence and counter-attack, and not difficult to learn to use at all.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013, 08:49 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Super information - thank you!

I have both Code and Scylla in black OX. Depending on how I get on with OX on my secondary blade, I might well swap out my 755 on the Tibhar Defence+.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 08:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

After trying dozens of LPs -- both sponged and OX -- I've returned to Sanwei CODE OX. I didn't realize that two years had passed since I posted my original review on CODE below, and in retrospect I'm not sure which LP led me away from CODE back then, but now I've come full circle.

I wouldn't say CODE is super easy to use, but rather that it plays very consistently, particularly when stressed with a hard stroke. My unconventional style remains that of an LP attacker: I use BH LP drives with varying amounts of topspin, almost the way a SP player uses short pips. Many LPs don't stand up to such abuse and quickly shed their pips.. I avoid those. CODE is very durable, and it's dirt cheap from Chinese mail order. Many LPs don't deliver consistent results when called upon to execute these powerful strokes but CODE is consistent. It's also quite spinny so its chops are effective, as are the sideswipes and various topspins I can dial in at will.

Opponents have a good deal of trouble returning balls from CODE, but not because it produces wobble or anything like that. It's more the difficulty in reading just how much spin is really on the ball that gets them, and CODE is very versatile when it comes to varying the degree of spin.

When used for chopping, CODE imparts decent backspin and keeps the ball low, unlike some super-grippy LPs that tend to pop up very heavy loops.

When used for blocking drives, CODE is again predictable and returns a low ball with some reversal to its sender.

Sanwei CODE has been largely overlooked on this forum and it's certainly one of the more obscure LPs on the market. If you like more aggressive LPs like 755 or UPUPUPUP US or Stranger then you'll probably also like CODE. If you attack with your LP and are striving for an LP game based on spin variation I think CODE is ideal.

CODE 0.6 is also very nice -- and lighter than most other 0.6 LPs. But I find that I can now do with OX what I can do with sponge and the extra 10g or so is a welcome omission from my paddle so I'm playing with OX for now (paddle weight 137g).

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2014, 16:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I do agree with you, Nathanso, in that Code is a very good and reliable LP. It has only one minor weakness, which is due to its good grip (and that allows consistent attack, as well as good backspin on chops, so its a "fair" and natural trade-off), viz. when used for aggressive pushing against backspin reversal is low, the ball will land deep and will be relatively easy to return for the opponent. This can be remedied, though, by using a drier stroke: making the push very short (limiting contact time) and really punchy. There will be more reversal this way, and the ball will land sooner on the other half. Still, sidewswipe is probably the preferred technique for attacking backspin with this LP. With it, reversal is even better, and due to the greater speed the ball is more awkward for the opponent.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 02:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Kees wrote:
I do agree with you, Nathanso, in that Code is a very good and reliable LP. It has only one minor weakness, which is due to its good grip (and that allows consistent attack, as well as good backspin on chops, so its a "fair" and natural trade-off), viz. when used for aggressive pushing against backspin reversal is low, the ball will land deep and will be relatively easy to return for the opponent. This can be remedied, though, by using a drier stroke: making the push very short (limiting contact time) and really punchy. There will be more reversal this way, and the ball will land sooner on the other half. Still, sidewswipe is probably the preferred technique for attacking backspin with this LP. With it, reversal is even better, and due to the greater speed the ball is more awkward for the opponent.

What is a "drier" stroke?
Thanks,
tOD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next