OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Review: Sanwei CODE
PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 03:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

theOldDuffer wrote:
Kees wrote:
I do agree with you, Nathanso, in that Code is a very good and reliable LP. It has only one minor weakness, which is due to its good grip (and that allows consistent attack, as well as good backspin on chops, so its a "fair" and natural trade-off), viz. when used for aggressive pushing against backspin reversal is low, the ball will land deep and will be relatively easy to return for the opponent. This can be remedied, though, by using a drier stroke: making the push very short (limiting contact time) and really punchy. There will be more reversal this way, and the ball will land sooner on the other half. Still, sidewswipe is probably the preferred technique for attacking backspin with this LP. With it, reversal is even better, and due to the greater speed the ball is more awkward for the opponent.

What is a "drier" stroke?
Thanks,
tOD

Shorter. Less contact with the ball. But still the same amount of impact on it, so relative to your movement and to the impact area an increased result. It's a boxing term, also used in karate etc.: a "dry punch". The idea behind it is that you concentrate and thus increase the effect of the action by not losing any of the action to elements that aren't actually completely instrumental in bringing about the desired effect. In this instance, pushing against backspin the grip of the pips will diminish incoming rotation some, and you can prevent that by making the contact-time as short as possible; also, by making the push more like a punch, you prevent the pips from bending in one direction only which allows the rotating ball to make contact with the sides of the pips, which constitute a bigger surface than the tips do, especially when they flick back against the rotation of the ball - when you are punching forward, some of the pips will still bend in the undesired way, but not all in the same direction, and many will be compressed instead.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2014, 05:17 
Super User

Kees wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:
Kees wrote:
I do agree with you, Nathanso, in that Code is a very good and reliable LP. It has only one minor weakness, which is due to its good grip (and that allows consistent attack, as well as good backspin on chops, so its a "fair" and natural trade-off), viz. when used for aggressive pushing against backspin reversal is low, the ball will land deep and will be relatively easy to return for the opponent. This can be remedied, though, by using a drier stroke: making the push very short (limiting contact time) and really punchy. There will be more reversal this way, and the ball will land sooner on the other half. Still, sidewswipe is probably the preferred technique for attacking backspin with this LP. With it, reversal is even better, and due to the greater speed the ball is more awkward for the opponent.

Thanks,
tOD

Shorter. Less contact with the ball. But still the same amount of impact on it, so relative to your movement and to the impact area an increased result. It's a boxing term, also used in karate etc.: a "dry punch". The idea behind it is that you concentrate and thus increase the effect of the action by not losing any of the action to elements that aren't actually completely instrumental in bringing about the desired effect. In this instance, pushing against backspin the grip of the pips will diminish incoming rotation some, and you can prevent that by making the contact-time as short as possible; also, by making the push more like a punch, you prevent the pips from bending in one direction only which allows the rotating ball to make contact with the sides of the pips, which constitute a bigger surface than the tips do, especially when they flick back against the rotation of the ball - when you are punching forward, some of the pips will still bend in the undesired way, but not all in the same direction, and many will be compressed instead.

wow! I can't believe I stumbled upon this info in a revitalized review of code! I recently switched from OX Dtecs (a pushing machine) to Feint Long 2 and am struggling with the aggresive push against backspin. This is was exactly the bit of info I was looking for. Thanks Kees! you're always insightful

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2016, 07:08 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I tried Code 0.5 with my CWX blade today. I ordered 1.0 mm, but it's certainly not that thick.

Games went very well, as I won every game losing only one set.

Code is very controlled and the lenght of chops and emergency saves is perfect. Not much funkiness, but opponents seemed to have problems anyway.

Compared to ox pips the dampening control is suberb.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2016, 16:17 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Games have been going very well (result wise) with Sanwei Code 0.5 in 1,5 month of playing. Some players just "milked" my BH before with continuous rolling until I made mistake, but Code is so secure that I don't make many mistakes. Balls stay very low over the net. First I had adjustment problems because of much less bounce. With ox pips you just have to "show the blade" to the ball and it bounces far. With 0.5 sponge you have to make your own shot with active playing, but it's a blessing compared to "ox bouncing".

I have changed my main serve return from "of the bounce pips push/block" to chop return and the chop return works much better in spite of opponent having more time. Balls just stay lower and longer and they have forward momentum with some unclear spin (against basic sidespin long serves) or float. With the ox "of the bounce pips push/block" return I make too much mistakes and ball pops too much without forward momentum.

I watched some of my losing games with ox pip again and I came to the conclusion, that there is problems with my ox play control. Here is a game with ox against a player that have very tricky serves. It was first match of the tournament and I was still cold, but still my ox play was not safe enough (I am the player with red shoes).

I might say that Code 0.5 is most controlled pip I have played. Because of slowness and insensitiveness to spin, it's very presice. And there is the surprise disturbing element with new balls. I have feeling that with ox pips reversal work often for the benefit of experienced opponent. Littler bit of sponge often kills/changes the spin and I find that those kind of effect disturb better with the new balls than pure reversal.

I have prayed for pip that reduces my BH easy mistakes, as I think it's have been the weakest point of my play. Now my opponents have to make the point instead of waiting for my mistake. Let's see, how long the honeymoon will last... :lol:

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2022, 07:54 

Kees wrote:
theOldDuffer wrote:
Kees wrote:

Thanks,
tOD

Can anybody show some video how to push with "Drier Stroke" technic?
The ball is always long no matter how I push it
Definitely I couldn't figure out how to do this

Another problem for me also, when somebody serve fast long no spin or with little topspin,
then whenever I do passive block or chop block, the ball is also going long,
made opponent easy to loop hard to return it.
When doing passive block using Dtec OX, then the ball can go short second bounce

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 10:44 

I really like this rubber
Block very well and I can hit also easily
Pips is very durable and cheap
My playing style is hit attack and average use about 6 months then pips starting to break
But I just find out this rubber will be discontinued 09/2022
This means I have to find now replacement for this, so disappointed
Anybody know long pips rubber which durable like this sanwei code even for hitting all the time?

Attachment:
sanwei_code.jpg
sanwei_code.jpg [ 31.05 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 12:28 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
dony71 wrote:
I really like this rubber
Block very well and I can hit also easily
Pips is very durable and cheap
My playing style is hit attack and average use about 6 months then pips starting to break
But I just find out this rubber will be discontinued 09/2022
This means I have to find now replacement for this, so disappointed
Anybody know long pips rubber which durable like this sanwei code even for hitting all the time?

Attachment:
sanwei_code.jpg

755 is a cheap Chinese long pip that is good for hitting and chopping. S&T Schmerz is another good long pip for hitting and all round game. Spinlord feuerstich is also good for hitting but has minimal reversal or wobble.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2022, 14:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
Giant Dragon Dragon Talon. Perhaps the most durable LP for hitting that I've used, and I've used dozens.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2022, 00:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LP rubbers count over 200 in LARC for now. You can try further and you fare worse. :D

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2022, 08:45 

nathanso wrote:
Giant Dragon Dragon Talon. Perhaps the most durable LP for hitting that I've used, and I've used dozens.

nathanso,
I read you tried KTL stranger a few years back and you mentioned very durable LP ever
How is this KTL stranger plays compared to Sanwei Code?
speed faster/slower? trajectory higher/lower? reversal higher/lower?
viewtopic.php?uid=13498&f=11&t=20060&start=60

Your graveyard LP story mentioned also highly durable for this KTL stranger
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=18442

Btw, are you still living in bay area?
Which club are you playing at?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 03:56 

Rob M wrote:
755 is a cheap Chinese long pip that is good for hitting and chopping. S&T Schmerz is another good long pip for hitting and all round game. Spinlord feuerstich is also good for hitting but has minimal reversal or wobble.

I read in this forum 755 is not durable
How long average lasting for hitting based on your experience?

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 11:43 
Super User

dony71 wrote:
Rob M wrote:

I read in this forum 755 is not durable
How long average lasting for hitting based on your experience?

Its been awhile since I used 755 but from memory I didn't break a pip in over 6 months of use. 755 is VERY cheap so even if you do break pimples it's very cheap to replace.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 12:28 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes i agree too, the 755 I've tried lasted quite a long time.

Of course the quality control of these really cheap rubbers won't be as good, so no doubt some batches are more durable than others. But as Rob M mentioned already, it's not expensive to replace either.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 04:52 

thanks for the feedback
755 ox review saying almost no reversal on chop blocking, only good for hitting and blocking
however since the price is very cheap, almost like sanwei code and half price on KTL stranger,
I think I will order this at aliexpress and experience it
hopefully behaves similar to sanwei code

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 13:43 
Super User

There is some reversal when hitting through backspin but its only fairly minimal. Nothing like D'Tecs or Dornenglanz.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next