OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Review: Sanwei CODE
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 17:56 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
This is a new a new rubber from Sanwei. Sanwei have been around for many years, but recently seem to have become a bit more serious about rubbers. Fellow member and friend Pimple Lover, who runs a shop and Thai website (http://www.pimplelover.pantown.com) kindly let me try a sample of some of the Sanwei products, so that I could review them here.

The new CODE long pimple rubber comes in one of the new vacuum sealed packages as shown below. This one is not one of the factory tuned rubbers that some of the other manufacturers use, but I personally would like to see all new rubbers use this type of packaging, as I'm sure it keeps the rubber fresher for much longer and protects it from the elements.

I don't place a lot of trust in the stats of the rubber, as it's highly subjective. The description is typical of many Chinese manufacturers... lots of impressive sounding words but little useful content. Sponge thickness is very clearly marked through a window in packaging which is a neat idea.

Upon opening the packet, the sheet looked in fresh and good condition. It was cut clean and no signs on any imperfections. Sponge colour looked yellow/orange, and similar to many Japanese sponges I've seen used by other Chinese manufacturers. Pimple shape was clean although a few tiny bits of excess rubber was on a few of the tips, which does not affect them in any way, but I have not seen this on the Japanese made rubbers. The basesheet looked of good quality too, but did not have quite the shine that most Japanese rubber have. Again this does not affect the performance of course. The sponge and topsheet were glued together very well.

Pips look smooth on the tips, and are fairly closely spaced. Pips are straight all the way to the bottom where they attach to the basesheet (no reinforcement at the bottom) which is the most common.. They feel a little grippy when you run your fingers or a ball over it, and feel fairly stiff. The sponge is too thin to get a good idea of the hardness, but it did not feel that firm or really soft, so I'll class it as medium hardness.

I glued the rubber onto a Sanwei blade which I'll also review shortly, which is a defensive triple carbon blade. On the other side I glued the GEAR rubber from Sanwei which I've reviewed already earlier. The sheet glued and cut easily.

Review to follow shortly...

Post subject: Re: Review: Sanwei CODE
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2010, 23:22 
Super User

Great stuff man =] looking forward to that review.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 02:17 
Super User

I am quite excited to hear your review , Alex.

This attack LP rubber is the best seller in my shop recently and it now out of stock.

So , I would like to understand how player from other region feel about this rubber. ;)

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 02:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pimple Lover wrote:
I am quite excited to hear your review , Alex.

This attack LP rubber is the best seller in my shop recently and it now out of stock.

So , I would like to understand how player from other region feel about this rubber. ;)

How much does the code cost? Do you hae it in Red OX?

Sanwei will make custom blades.

tOD

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 17:29 
Super User

The price of this rubber sell in Thailand is 16 USD (With sponge). Without sponge would be around 12 USD. But my personal opinion for this rubber is playing better with sponge since we need high control level for attacking.

By the way , I have seen this rubber sell in pretty high price (19.99 EURO) in german website for the ox version.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2010, 23:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pimple Lover wrote:
The price of this rubber sell in Thailand is 16 USD (With sponge). Without sponge would be around 12 USD. But my personal opinion for this rubber is playing better with sponge since we need high control level for attacking.

By the way , I have seen this rubber sell in pretty high price (19.99 EURO) in german website for the ox version.

Thank you very much
tOD

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 13:16 
Master Of Deception
Master Of Deception

Sweet. I'm Thai....gotta ask my friend to bring 2-3 sheets with him when he comes to USA.

EASY P - http://nexyusa.com/collections/rubber/products/easy-p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6tyNTO7 ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0zkq9Ja3E8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dARovqP9tT0#t=64

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 19:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Continued from the first post...

Returning serves:I bounced the ball onto the bat, it felt a little springy. Strangely enough when I started using it returning serves, it seemed quite slow and I could drop the ball quite short... very nice! I'm not sure how much of this is due to the sponge and how much due to the pips. I also found it very effective to attack balls... it seemed to have just enough grip to lift it over. Very little spin was produced, but it took my partner by surprise a few times.

Chopping: The rubber chops quite and the control is good. It felt similar to 955 which also has similarly stiffer pips. The harder the loops come, the better the control and the reversal becomes very good, really loading up the ball with backspin. Where it lacked a little was against the slower ball... since the pips are stiffer they are harder to bend, requiring a bit more care at slow speeds.

Blocking: This is an obvious strength of this rubber, blocking against loops felt really good and it seems easy to keep the ball on the table. Softer blocks come off slow, harder blocks can really come off fast, so you need to make sure you block at the top of the bouce. It didn't feel particularly sensitive spin which is probably why it felt so easy.

There is not a lot of reversal on the ball, which is to be expected. The blocks produced plenty of very awkward balls though (knuckle balls) and the extra control I had in blocking gave my partner a hard time.

Hitting: Again the rubber hits very well, not like a short pip but definitely better than most long pips. Hits came with plenty of pace despite the fact that the blade was not that fast.

This rubber won't produce much spin as the pips seem a little too stiff to bend enough on low impact, but this is not the strength of this rubber. It definitely suits a more aggressive style, but still has good control when chopping as well.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 20:20 
Super User

Thanks for review , Alex.

This is quite similar to what I found for this strange rubber. It help us to play Deng Yapin or Carl Prean style (only Pip side) a bit easier than before.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2010, 22:42 
Super User

As always great and honest information on all of your reviews, thanks

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 06:22 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Hitting: Again the rubber hits very well, not like a short pip but definitely better than most long pips. Hits came with plenty of pace despite the fact that the blade was not that fast.

This rubber won't produce much spin as the pips seem a little too stiff to bend enough on low impact, but this is not the strength of this rubber. It definitely suits a more aggressive style, but still has good control when chopping as well.

Thanks for the review. What type balls were you hitting against, backspin/topspin or both. How is it hitting against no/low spin balls. I assume this is with 1.0mm sponge. Did you try any other sponge thickness or OX as well?

Oh, and since Pimple Lover brought up Deng Yaping and Carl Prean. Does anyone know what LPs they used?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 07:42 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I think Deng Yaping used either 755 or 837.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 10:42 
Super User

Quote:
Thanks for the review. What type balls were you hitting against, backspin/topspin or both. How is it hitting against no/low spin balls. I assume this is with 1.0mm sponge. Did you try any other sponge thickness or OX as well?

I had tried also ox version. There is a bit more disruption but the control reduce significantly.

Since I feel that this rubber is designed for more active play so I think control is the more important if we can get almost the same disruption effect.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 12:21 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

NoFootwork wrote:
haggisv wrote:

Oh, and since Pimple Lover brought up Deng Yaping and Carl Prean. Does anyone know what LPs they used?

I was hitting against high balls, mostly topspin. If you hit it hard the ball does grip a little, which really helps in the accuracy. Against topspin you need to close the bat slightly and hit down at the top of the bounce. Against backspin you need to open up the bat, and you'll get some reversal which helps drop the ball in. yes I was hitting with 1.0mm sponge which makes hitting a lot easier.

I have not tried the OX, but it's characteristics are likely to be quite different. I doubt the sponge off my rubber is easily removable, or else I'll try it.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2010, 19:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pimple lover wrote:
Quote:

Another German shop (www.ttdd.de) offers OX for 12,90 euro and sponge for 14,90 euro (http://www.ttdd.de/lange-noppen.html). It rates the speed at 3.5 (out of 10; similar to the Palio LP), control 4 (which is low, but manageable) and disruption 9,5 (very high). The description given is: "The pips of the Sanwei Code are very similar to those of the Bomb Talent. Length and diameter are even almost identical, but they have a different rubber-mixture (composition). This makes the pips of the Sanwei Code slightly slower than those of the Bomb Talent, together with similar values for control and disturbance. The sponge of the SC is not quite as fast of that of the BT, but thicker instead, which comes to the same result. This is a preliminary description; slightly other values might follow after more extensive testing. Pip's surface: no texture."