OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 03:15 

Thanks everyone!

Maybe i try this new Zeitgeist because my new blade Stiga Clipper Oversize WRB little to fast and the Zeitgeist very slow.

Somebody try this Zeitgeist in fast blade?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 05:19 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Gyebax wrote:
Thanks everyone!

Maybe i try this new Zeitgeist because my new blade Stiga Clipper Oversize WRB little to fast and the Zeitgeist very slow.

Somebody try this Zeitgeist in fast blade?

I'm using it on a Persson Power Allround and that works very well. The Persson AR is a quite fast allround blade and I would put it in the lower OFF- category rather than in the ALL category. I haven't really liked playing with LP's on faster and harder blades before but Zeitgeist seems to work better on such blades compared to slower def blades, at least if you want to block and chop-block. Like always with harder and faster blades it increases the spin reversal and reduces the spin sensitivity, and with Zeitgeist you will still have extremely good control.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 05:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I'm going to try Spinlord Zeitgeist on a Kung Fu blade like the guy in the video.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 05:35 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

mynamenotbob wrote:
I'm going to try Spinlord Zeitgeist on a Kung Fu blade like the guy in the video.

Interesting :) You haven't tried the Zeitgeist before, have you? It will be interesting to hear your opinion.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2011, 05:44 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

auzcar wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:

Interesting :) You haven't tried the Zeitgeist before, have you? It will be interesting to hear your opinion.

Haven't tried it yet, but it should be here any day. :)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 13:37 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Tried it out on the Kung Fu (like the guy in the video) and yes this is a very good LP. Medium speed, good control and good spin reversal. Probably would be even better on a harder blade.

For my style of game (passive BH blocks on topspin, FH/BH attacks on underspin, BH block or FH flip/hit on no-spin), I'd rate this up there with D.Tecs and CK531a, although I still think nothing blocks lower and with more reversal that D.Tecs.

Will have to try Zeitgeist on the Tachi next.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 19:43 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

mynamenotbob wrote:
Tried it out on the Kung Fu (like the guy in the video) and yes this is a very good LP. Medium speed, good control and good spin reversal. Probably would be even better on a harder blade.

For my style of game (passive BH blocks on topspin, FH/BH attacks on underspin, BH block or FH flip/hit on no-spin), I'd rate this up there with D.Tecs and CK531a, although I still think nothing blocks lower and with more reversal that D.Tecs.

Will have to try Zeitgeist on the Tachi next.

For me, Zeitgeist is the only LP that have worked out on a OFF blade and I recently made the switch to Persson Powerplay instead of Persson PowerAllround. For my game it's very valuable to be able to play with a faster blade as I use my FH a lot, I try to never use the pimples two times in a row unless I'm chopping. My FH is also more focused towards power and speed instead of spin so it helps to be able to use a faster blade.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2011, 21:28 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I had to order a new Zeitgeist yesterday because I messed up my sheet when changing blade. However, my supplier had sold out on red OX so I ordered a red 0.5mm instead. I figured I could just remove the sponge but now I'm thinking I might try it with sponge first, not sure though. Åkerström have been playing with a thin sponge for years and that seems to work quite well, but his technique is obviously better than mine. What do you guys think? How much difference could a 0.5mm sponge make? I'm more of a chop-blocker than a passive blocker so that might be OK, I'm more afraid that it will mess up my aggressive pushing against serves and pushes.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2011, 01:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Even 0.5 mm can make a lot of difference. I believe the japanese sponge is soft, so the grip will increase; it will definetely mean making adjustments to your pushing - you have to use your wrist and underarm more to help to continue the spin. When I first changed from OX to 0.5 (with a dawei 388 D, which is pretty grippy of itself already), initially I pushed everything into the net because I was used to the reversal-effect of OX; it took me quite a long time to adjust and make my strokes more active, yet keep a light touch. Overall, I still prefer OX because of that.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 04:46 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
@Auzcar: I think it depends alot on how stiff the pips are and how soft the sponge is. Stiff pips and hard sponge - you will not notice that much. Also, the thickness of the rubber base (that the pips ar attached to) could matter. Once I tried XiYing 979 without sponge and it felt like anyother lp with 0,5 mm sponge due to the extremly thick base. But really, just try. That is the only way for you to know ;) And then let us kow of course...

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 06:00 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
@Auzcar: I think it depends alot on how stiff the pips are and how soft the sponge is. Stiff pips and hard sponge - you will not notice that much. Also, the thickness of the rubber base (that the pips ar attached to) could matter. Once I tried XiYing 979 without sponge and it felt like anyother lp with 0,5 mm sponge due to the extremly thick base. But really, just try. That is the only way for you to know ;) And then let us kow of course...

I actually tried it for a while today with the 0.5mm sponge but it wasn't really my thing, I felt I lost too much close to the table. I took off the sponge and played with it again and it felt much better. I also received a new Persson Powerplay today as the one I had before was one of my friends that he lent to me for a week or so, the new one definitely felt better and it's really thin, which I like. I'm still not sure though if I should play with Powerplay or Defplay, fast blade or slow blade, I think I need some more time to decide. With Powerplay my FH gets faster but I feel I make more mistakes with the LP when blocking and chopping (pushing is fine though). With the Defplay it's the opposite, slower FH but safer defense. I can't really decide which way to go, it's just that I feel much more stressed when playing with the Powerplay because I don't feel confident in my defense, IE I feel pressed to make the first attack as I might block the opponents attack off the table with the LP if I let them attack first. On the other hand I try to build my game around my FH so it might be beneficial with a faster blade though. However, I have to say that at the moment it feels like I loose more in the defense when playing with the Powerplay compared to how much I loose in offense when playing with the Defplay. I have to make a decision fast though as I'm going to play the Swedish Championships in 2½ weeks :headbang:

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 22:09 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Go with the setup you feel has the greatest potential. If you feel secure it is good, but since you seems to be a little restless concerning equipment, I would recommend you to use the setup that forces you to develop and become faster. If you are confident that the fast setup will pay off later, if you practice with that in focus, that might help you to develop in the "right" direction. If you go with the setup that wins you most points this day you might get a little bored with that one after a while. And then you might as well do the change now. But it depends on how important SM is for you. Are there enough training sessions before that competition? Or do you focus more on playing the leauge?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 22:53 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Go with the setup you feel has the greatest potential. If you feel secure it is good, but since you seems to be a little restless concerning equipment, I would recommend you to use the setup that forces you to develop and become faster. If you are confident that the fast setup will pay off later, if you practice with that in focus, that might help you to develop in the "right" direction. If you go with the setup that wins you most points this day you might get a little bored with that one after a while. And then you might as well do the change now. But it depends on how important SM is for you. Are there enough training sessions before that competition? Or do you focus more on playing the leauge?

Actually, I don't know which setup has the greatest potential for my gameplan, because I don't know how much defense I will play. I've made all my big wins in the last year with the Defplay and I like the feeling a lot more when playing with Defplay compared to a faster blade. This is why I'm at the moment is leaning towards Defplay. As I said, I'm not even sure how my gameplan will turn out and it might be that I stay close to the table against lesser opponents and chop more against better opponents. Because at the moment I don't feel like I can keep up at the table when facing an strong opponent. Even watching Åkerström it's quite clear he's got trouble keeping up when blocking at the table against strong opponents too. When chopping I feel I can keep up all the time, I just need to be safer. Actually, I had setpoints to take it into the fifth set against a player in our Pingisliga, and in that match I was pretty much chopping all the time, playing from mid-distance.

This is actually my first SM and since it's "only" 48 players qualifying (I'm playing in the U20 class) I think I will have a hard time making it out of the group stage, it's definitely not impossible though. As long as I feel I played well I'm satisfied there, I have no goal when it comes to results. The league is definitely more important and I want to keep up my good ratio throughout the whole season, we now have 4 matches left. My teammates are starting to get pretty annoyed at me changing equipment all the time though, I would be too as I think I haven't played a solid week with the same setup since new year.

To look at the bright side I've at least settled for the Zeitgeist on my BH...

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
To look at the bright side I've at least settled for the Zeitgeist on my BH...

Well.... that is very good :clap: I can agree on the aspects of chopping vs blocking. I can´t really see how it should be possible to chop block close to the table at topp 100 in the world level, especially not with a sponge. I think there is a lot more potential in chopping away from the table and focus on strong counters. Also, it can be very effective to stay at the table a few secounds longer than just past the third ball. Returning a serve and than automaticly move away from the table can work nice on some people, but if you every fifth ball stay at the table and block that first loop (especially if you placed the return far to tha FH) can also be very effective. But what is it that makes you win your points against somene at Pingisliga-level? Is it your attacks or your ability to keep the ball on the table or massive back spin or what?

I think you should go with the deflplay and use that setup, and only that one, until past the SM. The way you keep changing is not only frustrating for your team mates, it also slows down your own developmenet as a player. Problably got a lot to do with your age :-) Once your getting closer to 30 you won't have that problem anymore :?: (yeah... right...)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:22 
Incredible Shrinking Man

I think you should settle with Defplay this season. You have all summertime to find another setup. :P :P

Cheers

Geddk

3. Blade : SL Defender SL DG 0x red : Secret flow 1.8 black : Against other LP players.
4. Blade : ST Fire-starter: Easy P 0x red : Air Illumina MAX Black : Incoming
Maybe I will try sponge some day!
----------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next