OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 22:53 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Def-attack wrote:
Go with the setup you feel has the greatest potential. If you feel secure it is good, but since you seems to be a little restless concerning equipment, I would recommend you to use the setup that forces you to develop and become faster. If you are confident that the fast setup will pay off later, if you practice with that in focus, that might help you to develop in the "right" direction. If you go with the setup that wins you most points this day you might get a little bored with that one after a while. And then you might as well do the change now. But it depends on how important SM is for you. Are there enough training sessions before that competition? Or do you focus more on playing the leauge?

Actually, I don't know which setup has the greatest potential for my gameplan, because I don't know how much defense I will play. I've made all my big wins in the last year with the Defplay and I like the feeling a lot more when playing with Defplay compared to a faster blade. This is why I'm at the moment is leaning towards Defplay. As I said, I'm not even sure how my gameplan will turn out and it might be that I stay close to the table against lesser opponents and chop more against better opponents. Because at the moment I don't feel like I can keep up at the table when facing an strong opponent. Even watching Åkerström it's quite clear he's got trouble keeping up when blocking at the table against strong opponents too. When chopping I feel I can keep up all the time, I just need to be safer. Actually, I had setpoints to take it into the fifth set against a player in our Pingisliga, and in that match I was pretty much chopping all the time, playing from mid-distance.

This is actually my first SM and since it's "only" 48 players qualifying (I'm playing in the U20 class) I think I will have a hard time making it out of the group stage, it's definitely not impossible though. As long as I feel I played well I'm satisfied there, I have no goal when it comes to results. The league is definitely more important and I want to keep up my good ratio throughout the whole season, we now have 4 matches left. My teammates are starting to get pretty annoyed at me changing equipment all the time though, I would be too as I think I haven't played a solid week with the same setup since new year.

To look at the bright side I've at least settled for the Zeitgeist on my BH...

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:15 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
auzcar wrote:
To look at the bright side I've at least settled for the Zeitgeist on my BH...

Well.... that is very good :clap: I can agree on the aspects of chopping vs blocking. I can´t really see how it should be possible to chop block close to the table at topp 100 in the world level, especially not with a sponge. I think there is a lot more potential in chopping away from the table and focus on strong counters. Also, it can be very effective to stay at the table a few secounds longer than just past the third ball. Returning a serve and than automaticly move away from the table can work nice on some people, but if you every fifth ball stay at the table and block that first loop (especially if you placed the return far to tha FH) can also be very effective. But what is it that makes you win your points against somene at Pingisliga-level? Is it your attacks or your ability to keep the ball on the table or massive back spin or what?

I think you should go with the deflplay and use that setup, and only that one, until past the SM. The way you keep changing is not only frustrating for your team mates, it also slows down your own developmenet as a player. Problably got a lot to do with your age :-) Once your getting closer to 30 you won't have that problem anymore :?: (yeah... right...)

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:22 
Incredible Shrinking Man

I think you should settle with Defplay this season. You have all summertime to find another setup. :P :P

Cheers

Geddk

3. Blade : SL Defender SL DG 0x red : Secret flow 1.8 black : Against other LP players.
4. Blade : ST Fire-starter: Easy P 0x red : Air Illumina MAX Black : Incoming
Maybe I will try sponge some day!
----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:36 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Well.... that is very good :clap: I can agree on the aspects of chopping vs blocking. I can´t really see how it should be possible to chop block close to the table at topp 100 in the world level, especially not with a sponge. I think there is a lot more potential in chopping away from the table and focus on strong counters. Also, it can be very effective to stay at the table a few secounds longer than just past the third ball. Returning a serve and than automaticly move away from the table can work nice on some people, but if you every fifth ball stay at the table and block that first loop (especially if you placed the return far to tha FH) can also be very effective. But what is it that makes you win your points against somene at Pingisliga-level? Is it your attacks or your ability to keep the ball on the table or massive back spin or what?

I think you should go with the deflplay and use that setup, and only that one, until past the SM. The way you keep changing is not only frustrating for your team mates, it also slows down your own developmenet as a player. Problably got a lot to do with your age :-) Once your getting closer to 30 you won't have that problem anymore :?: (yeah... right...)

It's very frustrating for me too! I actually consider myself as an addict, that's how far this have gone. When I get my paycheck I'm like: "Hmm, what rubber or blade should i buy this time!?" :P.

In that particular match against the Pingisliga player it was my safe chopping (at least safe that day...) that gave me opportunities to kill with my FH, sometimes he dumped them into the net too. In pretty much every big win I've had this year I've been chopping more then blocking but still been very offensive with my FH. I don't have the footwork to play as much FH as Åkerström does though, not many players in Sweden do, his footwork is just extremely good, even for a Pingisliga player. I think when playing a "Åkerström" game, IE both blocking and chopping, I think it's very important to be able to anticipate your opponents attacks. If you see that your opponent will attack hard to your BH when your at the table, I think it's best to twiddle and block it with the inverted, you seldom see Åkerström try to chop-block a fast attack at the table.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2011, 23:37 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Geddk wrote:
I think you should settle with Defplay this season. You have all summertime to find another setup.

I would prefer it if I could stay with the setup a lot longer though :P

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:02 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
Def-attack wrote:

It's very frustrating for me too! I actually consider myself as an addict, that's how far this have gone. When I get my paycheck I'm like: "Hmm, what rubber or blade should i buy this time!?" :P.

In that particular match against the Pingisliga player it was my safe chopping (at least safe that day...) that gave me opportunities to kill with my FH, sometimes he dumped them into the net too. In pretty much every big win I've had this year I've been chopping more then blocking but still been very offensive with my FH. I don't have the footwork to play as much FH as Åkerström does though, not many players in Sweden do, his footwork is just extremely good, even for a Pingisliga player. I think when playing a "Åkerström" game, IE both blocking and chopping, I think it's very important to be able to anticipate your opponents attacks. If you see that your opponent will attack hard to your BH when your at the table, I think it's best to twiddle and block it with the inverted, you seldom see Åkerström try to chop-block a fast attack at the table.

Perhaps we should start Anonymous EJ's ;)

Seriously, I have been in the same situation, but I have found a perfect setup that will keep it interesting for a long time. I feel like I can do anything with it. The Akkadi L1 has the perfect balance between grip and control, I can push back a back spin serve with enough poer to turn the spin into back spin, and I can also push a little softer and return a no spin or light top spin ball. I can also create back spin or side spin when serving, enough to make my opponent place the ball right into the net or off the table (and the look on his face when he did that, worth a million :) ). I can attack with it much easier than my previous lp (Dawei 388D) and of course, it creates enormous back spin when I chop from distance.

But I guess my situation is a little rare. Most lp-players seem to feel like they have to give something up in order to get a good chopping lp or a good blocking lp. Than you just have to decide if it is worth it. I think that you already have found your setup. My suggestion is that you stop reading those juicy reviews of new lp's and blades, at least until autumn. After a month or two you will feel a little relieved, having decided to stay with your setup and just focus on your technique - making it fit that specific setup. Than you can learn how to maximize the benefits of that setup and you will see that there are lots of things you can do that you never thought of - bacause you were focusing on the equipment instead of playing table tennis :) .

Be strong! At least until you have finished playing your leauge this season. Than, if you can't hold it back anymore - go nuts, buy Hallmark Frustration or whatever. But when september ends, you need to stop EJ-ing again. This way you can keep your EJ-ing on a periodical level (in swedish - periodare :D ).

Another thing - before you go to the swedish championchips you need to get yourself a descent video camera and start filming yourself and all other great players. Good luck on your mission! :)

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 00:40 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Def-attack wrote:
Perhaps we should start Anonymous EJ's ;)

Seriously, I have been in the same situation, but I have found a perfect setup that will keep it interesting for a long time. I feel like I can do anything with it. The Akkadi L1 has the perfect balance between grip and control, I can push back a back spin serve with enough poer to turn the spin into back spin, and I can also push a little softer and return a no spin or light top spin ball. I can also create back spin or side spin when serving, enough to make my opponent place the ball right into the net or off the table (and the look on his face when he did that, worth a million :) ). I can attack with it much easier than my previous lp (Dawei 388D) and of course, it creates enormous back spin when I chop from distance.

But I guess my situation is a little rare. Most lp-players seem to feel like they have to give something up in order to get a good chopping lp or a good blocking lp. Than you just have to decide if it is worth it. I think that you already have found your setup. My suggestion is that you stop reading those juicy reviews of new lp's and blades, at least until autumn. After a month or two you will feel a little relieved, having decided to stay with your setup and just focus on your technique - making it fit that specific setup. Than you can learn how to maximize the benefits of that setup and you will see that there are lots of things you can do that you never thought of - bacause you were focusing on the equipment instead of playing table tennis :) .

Be strong! At least until you have finished playing your leauge this season. Than, if you can't hold it back anymore - go nuts, buy Hallmark Frustration or whatever. But when september ends, you need to stop EJ-ing again. This way you can keep your EJ-ing on a periodical level (in swedish - periodare :D ).

Another thing - before you go to the swedish championchips you need to get yourself a descent video camera and start filming yourself and all other great players. Good luck on your mission! :)

Anonymous EJ's is a nice thought that probably could help a lot of players :P

I think that the problem with combining chopping, blocking and FH attacking is what have made me EJ so much as I didn't have this problem when I was a two-winged looper or a chopper. I want to find a setup that's perfect for every part of my game and such a setup doesn't exist. Like you say, I just need to be strong and realise that there will be compromises when playing such a versatile game. As I said I will definitely play with the Zeitgeist and I will probably order 4-5 sheets from ttdd.de which will be the nail in the coffin when it comes to my LP. Regarding the blade, Defplay is the blade I've ALWAYS come back to when trying new stuff and when I think about it that speaks for itself. Always when I try new blades I can feel that the new one is really good but as soon as I try the Defplay again I feel much better and I end up playing with that again. Defplay it is!

My club has a video camera to give their members the opportunity to record their matches, not HD quality but good enough. I will try to remember and bring that to SM, it would be interesting to see myself play as I haven't done that in years, and not since I changed to pips again.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 04:29 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
auzcar wrote:
Anonymous EJ's is a nice thought that probably could help a lot of players

The problem is the ITTF has banned a whole string of rubbers that many of us use. I'd still be playing Super Block if it wasn't for their continuous meddling.

When the frictionless ban was first announced, I bought the Hallmark Friction Special as a planned replacement, but that also got banned. Then I bought TTMaster Crossbow but that got banned. Then I used TTMaster Insider, but that got banned. Now I use Tibhar Grass DTecs, which they haven't banned outright but they've forced changes that have affected the playability.

So for a lot of LP players, it's not a matter of being an EJ. We can't get any continuity.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:14 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

mynamenotbob wrote:
auzcar wrote:
Anonymous EJ's is a nice thought that probably could help a lot of players

The problem is the ITTF has banned a whole string of rubbers that many of us use. I'd still be playing Super Block if it wasn't for their continuous meddling.

When the frictionless ban was first announced, I bought the Hallmark Friction Special as a planned replacement, but that also got banned. Then I bought TTMaster Crossbow but that got banned. Then I used TTMaster Insider, but that got banned. Now I use Tibhar Grass DTecs, which they haven't banned outright but they've forced changes that have affected the playability.

So for a lot of LP players, it's not a matter of being an EJ. We can't get any continuity.

So maybe ITTF should finance a help organisation for EJ's :D

And you really need to change pips to something that no other use (or something already banned?). If you continue using DTecs it will of course get banned - they are watching you!!!

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:24 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Def-attack wrote:
If you continue using DTecs it will of course get banned - they are watching you!!!

Not me personally, but they are watching these boards to find out what everyone is using. The guys running the German long pips forum are scared to talk about a lot of topics now because that's "Ground Zero" for persecution of material players and they're afraid Ebi Schoeler and his evil minions will read it and ban more rubbers.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:43 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
I suspect OOAK is on ITTF's favorites list.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 05:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

hookshot wrote:
I suspect OOAK is on ITTF's favorites list.

No doubt about it. We do all their research for them. :(
I hope they liked my interview with Adham. :D

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2011, 06:30 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

It's really sad that a rule that affects the whole international table tennis community can be voted through in the way that the frictionless ban was. Schoeler and a big part of the BoD should feel ashamed, but of course they don't, they have no conscience.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 11:48 
Super User

Some of the observations about Zeitgeist rubber are as follows:

. Pips of Spinlord Zeitgeist are hard and seems to be better than Grass D-Techs.
. One can chop, block and hit occasionally.
. It provides good control and has a tendency to disrupt an opponent's game.
. Placement can be done with good accuracy.
. Trajectory of the ball is fairly low.
. Speed of the ball generated by this rubber is enough to destabilise the opponent's game.
. Most of the topspin shots can be controlled fairly easy.
. To control a very fast topspin, give a sidespin and it helps to send the ball back with a low trajectory.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2011, 20:07 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

was he chopblocking or passive blocking???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next