OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Jan 2021, 22:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 22:34 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
This is the first (of 2 tests) of that rubber. The reason why I will need another test was because I didn't try it on my regular blade..

1. Blade/Style/Level
Rubber was glued to a NEXY Labyringhos blade (posted review in the blades section)
I'm playing a blocking style, mostly backhand at US 2200 level (Current rating 2212)

2. Physical properties
The pips are fairly grippy with textured pips tops. They feel fairly soft. My sheet was red and OX - no sponge. I did glue the rubber with water based glue to the blade - no glue sheet
Pips geometry seemed fairly regular. Pips spacing is medium (like AIR upupupup)

3. Speed:
a) the speed of the rubber at low speed impact was medium, very similar to SE7EN block - maybe slightly faster
b) The speed when blocking against fast loops was also medium to medium slow

4. Spin and reversal.
Rubber is fairly grippy and there is little to no reversal. Produces great underspin when chopping behind the table

5. Sensitivity to spin:
That was the part that I did not like.. The rubber is one of the most spin-sensitive long pips rubbers that I've ever played.. Compared to the DtecS or Hallmark Phoenix, this rubber feels 10 times more sensitive to spin. You need to adjust racket angle almost like with inverted.

6. Control:
Other than the sensitivity to spin, the control was actually pretty good. I tried the rubber for pushing rallies against a anti player (dead against dead ball) and the control was excellent. However, due to the sensitivity to spin, the rubber was hard to control against slow topspin and high spin in general.. Control for pushing against underspin was also decent..

I will re-test that rubber on my regular blade this Thursday or next Tuesday and post another review if the rubber plays any different on my regular blade..

Generally, my impression is that this is a rubber that is very likely geared towards defenders wo like to create a lot of their own spin and act away from the table. It doesn't seem to be a good choice for my specific style as I need something less sensitive to spin. I doubt that the sensitivity to spin will change on my other blade.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 01:05 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

PB, I saw a lot of what you did with my short hit on Chaos with 1.0 sponge.

When Nexy gave me a sample of Chaos, I asked for 1.0, because I like attacking. And attack well does this rubber. BH pick hitting with the pips is simply fun. Controling serves was the easiest I had with any sponged LP, but I only tried like 2 different LP rubbers before. Reversal (Spin Continuation) with a passive stroke is not something to expect from this. That is why a lot of Koreans like D-Techs OX. For me, it was about the attack, I could even do light loops with it, up to 4 loops before missing. A BH mini over the table loop stroke was a nice surprise point ending finish a lot of times I tried that stroke.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 07:09 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good review, thanks Pushblocker!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2011, 12:04 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

I think that the rubber could indeed be good for hitting with the long pips but that's not my style and I'm not good doing that.. I'm just a blocker/pusher only..

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 13:13 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Pushblocker wrote:
I think that the rubber could indeed be good for hitting with the long pips but that's not my style and I'm not good doing that.. I'm just a blocker/pusher only..

Have you ever tried to do it in practice for more than a few shots? I have worked on it, along with recognising the right spin balls to attack for a long time now and have developed quite a good BH attack (with Ox). One of my favorite things to do to my practice partner in a game is when he serves me chop to my BH is to open up on it with the pips and send it down his FH line. He never gets near it. The more I use it, the better I get and I use it in comp matches quite a lot these days. Of course, like any "smash/drive" you have to pick the right ball or you will miss the table. And I know your game tends to be more of a "play-it-safe/let-them-make-the-error" type game. But having an attack in reserve for just the right ball can pay dividends.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 02:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

Have you ever tried to do it in practice for more than a few shots? I have worked on it, along with recognising the right spin balls to attack for a long time now and have developed quite a good BH attack (with Ox). One of my favorite things to do to my practice partner in a game is when he serves me chop to my BH is to open up on it with the pips and send it down his FH line. He never gets near it. The more I use it, the better I get and I use it in comp matches quite a lot these days. Of course, like any "smash/drive" you have to pick the right ball or you will miss the table. And I know your game tends to be more of a "play-it-safe/let-them-make-the-error" type game. But having an attack in reserve for just the right ball can pay dividends.

Could you smooth talk someone into videoing this for us, Please?
tOD

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 23:25 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

My game is all about control and taking little risk.. I like my opponents to take risks.. I do flat hit with my pips against high and fairly short balls but I don't attack with the pips against any long balls..

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 23:27 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
theOldDuffer wrote:
RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

tOD

I'll try tOD. I have thought about taking my cam to my practice partner's garage. He's away on holiday, but when he comes back I'll give it a go and see what comes of it.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011, 02:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

tOD[/quote]

I'll try tOD. I have thought about taking my cam to my practice partner's garage. He's away on holiday, but when he comes back I'll give it a go and see what comes of it.[/quote]

Thanks very much,
Thomas

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 00:05 
The French ConnecTTion

I had a training session with the Chaos on the Labyrinthos.

The BH side of the blade is slow, I would rate it Def+. The FH side is quite fast IMO and I would rate it Off to OFF+.

The Chaos is not a fast LP and with the blade, it's a real good combination for a "at the table" player. Blocking is easy to do, the combo (thanks to the stiffness of the blade) allows to block short or long very easily. When blocking, the ball can be kept low over the net and it doesn't bounce a lot. There's no real wobbling effect but the blocking possibilites will really appeal to blockers.
Attacking on backspin ball is easy and quite efficient; you don't have to close the racket a lot and can almost hit it like we used to do with frictionless LPs.
Attacking no spin balls can also be done easily and with the bat a tad close it's quite easy. On this kind of ball, thanks to the friction of the rubber it's easy to tospin the ball.

Being a chopper, I tried the combo in this area and was quite disappointed as I could not impart lots of spin. I think it's mainly due to the blade which is too stiff....

The FH side is quite fast as I said, and in fact, it's too fast for me. I have always had problems adjusting to combination blades as the FH is always too fast and the BH most of the time is not slow enough! The Labyrinthos has a nice and slow BH side but the FH is way to fast for me; i'd rather have a def blade and put a thick backside on the FH rather than playing with a combo blade that forces me to play with a thinner sponge...

I didn't find the rubber to be that sensitive to incoming spin; it's not good, not bad, just average in this specific area.

All in all, this blade will be perfect for a player who stays at the table to block with the BH and attack with both FH and BH.

I will try the Chaos on my Toccata blade just to see how it behaves on a defensive blade.

Cheers,
Ma'man

Blade : TSP Toccata Carbon Def
FH : Shark II 33° 2mm Black
BH : Octopus Ox red

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 02:20 

The advantages of using this type combo as a close to the table player (Controlled blocking, Controlled recieve of serve, LP punching, LP flicking, and FH powerkill/pulverize ANYTHING that comes FH way) are exactly the characteristics of equipment performance Korean pushblockers crave. Many of this crowd in Korea are perfectly at home with stiff/uberfast Solid Rocket Booster blades like Gergely and Schlager Carbon. This style of player WANTS to power/speed on FH, but could live with a tad less speed on BH. That player is not trying to do piledriver BHs, but use the BH OX LP to control the point, only sparingly using the OX LP offensively when the opponent leave a wide opening on one wing, or using an offensive stroke with OX LP to disrupt timing. None of those functions require breakneck speed from the blade, just control and surpise is enough for those strokes. Having a slower speed of BH performance from the blade in this department does not hurt, nor does having a blazing fast FH side.

There are at least a dozen players in my club here who play this style, minimum. (However, they ALL use D-Techs OX) I'm going to have to get one of our players to get a Labyrinthos, then see if the other 11 fall in line like a fashion.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 03:53 
Horse Hockey!

I didn't like the Chaos, but I've been using the Labyrinthos with CJ8000 J/sponge and Pogo Ox. I play (or try to) the style DE described above and I really like this blade. I plan to add a review in the next week or so. The Labyrinthos IS pretty fast on the fh side, but the CJ8000 is not a super fast rubber so it pairs up very well.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 21:51 
The French ConnecTTion

I finally tried the Chaos on my Toccata Carbon Def and it was quite a nice surprise.

First, the rubber is really really slow and IMO it's the slowest LP on the market today. It's definitely slower than the Xiying 979. It's probably due to its very peculiar sponge.

The rubber is not very sensitive to incoming spin so it's easy to control it and return serves.

At the table, blocking is really easy to do and you don't have to close the bat too much. The ball returned doesn't bounce a lot and can be return very short if you block passively.
If you block actively, the ball can be returned long with a very low path that makes it hard for the opponent to play.

Chopping away from the table is very very effective and I was able to keep the ball low over the net. The backspin imparted can be massive if you chop with the head of the racket and there's no problem controlling topspins that have a lot of spin.

The only inconvenience with the rubber being its very low speed.

I had the opportunity to compare the Chaos with my current LP (Akkadi L1) during a match at the end of the session and my opponent said he found the Chaos to be more disturbing than the L1, especially when I was chopping away from the table.

All in all, the Chaos on my blade worked really well and I will test it more on Thursday. I might switch to it next season as I was nicely surprised.
I think the rubber would please a blocker that uses a fast and stiff blade but a defender might also find it extremely efficient and disturbing.

Cheers,
Ma'man

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 22:13 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Marder 1mm
BH: Dornenglanz ox
Interesting review. I wonder how it is in OX?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 05:39 
The French ConnecTTion

I tried the Chaos once again last evening and compared it to the L1 in 0.6mm still on the same blade.

Even if the Chaos is a very good rubber, the L1 is better for a purely defensive/chopping game and I will stick to it.
The problem with Chaos being that it is too slow to chop effectively far from the table and the throw angle is real low. I had lots of unforced errors chopping and since it's the base of my game, I need a rubber that has enough speed to chop.
Spin reversal with Donic's rubber is better than with Chaos (but the spin imparted can be really heavy with Nexy's rubber).

I still have to try the Chaos in Ox, which I'll do next week; of course I'll keep you posted.

So far, no rubber surpasses the L1 with which I'll finish the season (I am no longer playing with QJH's LP).

CHeers,
Ma'man