OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:51

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 16:52 

Hi,

I always warmup with the opponenet before the match with my forehand instead of LP(backhand side).
But,a person got angry, and say you cheating/etc to not let them warm up with my LP.
But, I think that I want to warmup my forehand to their backhand, and then also they can warmup their backhand normally.
I play at level whcihc sometimes has national players in the competition I play in and thought that it shouldn't matter to them how I want to warm up as long as they get to warmup how they want to.

What do you think?

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 17:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wonbin wrote:
Hi,

I always warmup with the opponenet before the match with my forehand instead of LP(backhand side).
But,a person got angry, and say you cheating/etc to not let them warm up with my LP.
But, I think that I want to warmup my forehand to their backhand, and then also they can warmup their backhand normally.
I play at level whcihc sometimes has national players in the competition I play in and thought that it shouldn't matter to them how I want to warm up as long as they get to warmup how they want to.

What do you think?

I get that quite a few times, but that's because I get to play against many different players every weekend. The majority of players do not care or if they do, they ask me politely to hit with my LPs.
Some players do act like a real ass the very moment we switch to bh side and I twiddle to hit with my "normal" side with them. They will usually say something like: "So I don't get to warm up with your funny pips, huh?" To whom I usually reply with a grin: "Well, if you ask nicely, yeah, I will hit a few."
:)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 17:37 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
There is no obligation to give an opponent specifically what they want in a warm up other than to let them "warm up". As RR says, a polite request may deserve a few hits against the pips, but anger deserves only contempt.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 19:32 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
This is one of the advantages you have as a combination player, and you are perfectly welcome to use or hide it. I view it another way also, in that you've not had a chance to groove your LP strokes.

Similarly, there are many things I'll not show in the warmup. They just need to get over it!

185g

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 19:57 
The Unprogrammable Player

What do you mostly do when you warm up? :) That's right its mostly hit/hit or topspin/block from FH to FH and same from BH to BH. Since most opponents do not want to lets say chop a ball or make other "slow play" for warmup I usually don't hit with LP either :)

3) Ross Leidy "White Shadow" / P1R (1,3) / Hexer PS (1,7)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 21:02 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
wonbin wrote:
Hi,

What do you think?

I also don't warm up with the pips. I never had a comment, except from one guy who just asked to hit a couple of balls with my pips. Like already stated here, they can ask it when they want to. If they give some angry comments, just make a good joke out of it and get them even more angry. They'll lose for sure! :D

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011, 21:18 
Smack Attack!
Smack Attack!

I take it normal to warm up with both sides, if players don't for me ill hit 1 each side anyway

Table Tennis abbreviations, and acronyms

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 06:54 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
There is no obligation to give an opponent specifically what they want in a warm up other than to let them "warm up". As RR says, a polite request may deserve a few hits against the pips, but anger deserves only contempt.

And a loud call for the tourney director or head umpire....

Ian

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2011, 07:15 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
If they ask and you refuse to hit with the pips is one thing but if they never ask, they can't complain..
We have a guy who warms up with inverted and then he plays you with short pips and refuses to hit with the short pips before starting the match.. I really didn't care as the guy is only about 1800 rating and I usually beat him fairly easy.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 12:36 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
I just played against a guy with long pips on FH and short pips on BH.

During warmup, he did the opposite short pips on FH and long pips on BH.

There are some who twiddle and this is fine. But this warmup was intended to get me comfortable to the opposite style that he was playing. Better not to warmup at all. :(

I won't warmup against him next time.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 02:09 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Personally, I use inverted on both sides to warm up not to gain any particular advantage but out of consideration for opponents, most of whom don't like warming up against long pips. If anyone asks, I'm always happy to switch to pips, but I'll chop with them rather than mostly block the way I do in games. Just as double inverted players are under no obligation to give you a taste of their big loops when warming up, pips players are under no obligation to warm up the same way they plan to play you in games.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 06:24 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Never do I warm up with LP.Reasons? some don't even know how to do it,another reason is to show that you can use your inverted on the bh - there is a lie in the air that says pip players cannot use the inverted on the bh; therefore they use pips because of the inability to use the inverted on the bh,which shows their absolute ignorance about pip players -

Finally, I an under no obligation to show the level of spin reversal of my rubber before the match and in the same way , I have no clue about the level of their boosted rubber as they will not disclose the potential of spin while warming up .

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 02:21 

I played in a tournamount once and my opponent complained to the referee because I only warmed up with my inverted and would hit from my long pimples side. The referee said that if I did not want I was not even obliged to warm up. This player had got some tricky serves so I said you serve some of your serves to me and I will warm up with my Long Pimples. He did so we started the game I won 3-0.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 06:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
I almost always say no when asked during the 1 minute FH and BH warm ups before tournament or league matches. I don't see ANY professional LP player using their LP during warm up.

However I will use my LP to warm up with someone when I first get to the tournament before match play begins. My BH does need to warm up. I usually tell them that since they were so nice to warm up with me that they get to hit vs. my pips.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2022, 20:32 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
We should therefore just get rid of warmups altogether. :)