OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 18:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 20:09 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I'm thinking about going back to sponged D.Tecs since my game is developing more and more towards modern defense, I'm very tall and I feel more comfortable back in the court where I can use my full swing and also defend against stronger attacks. The main reason is that I'm feeling I can't block the stronger attacks at the table with the new LP's and when I'm chopping and my opponent pushes deep into my BH I pretty much have to twiddle to keep my push low and with some spin. I tried my old 1.2mm D.Tecs on my Korbel blade yesterday and it felt much better when chopping, I was definitely more consistent and it felt like I got more spin too. I will try it against real opponents tonight to see how it really plays for me but I have high hopes, it's sad though that it's too small for my Joo Se Hyuk and Ross Leidy blades, can't remember why I cut it down to normal size :^)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 20:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
auzcar wrote:
I'm thinking about going back to sponged D.Tecs since my game is developing more and more towards modern defense, I'm very tall and I feel more comfortable back in the court where I can use my full swing and also defend against stronger attacks. The main reason is that I'm feeling I can't block the stronger attacks at the table with the new LP's and when I'm chopping and my opponent pushes deep into my BH I pretty much have to twiddle to keep my push low and with some spin. I tried my old 1.2mm D.Tecs on my Korbel blade yesterday and it felt much better when chopping, I was definitely more consistent and it felt like I got more spin too. I will try it against real opponents tonight to see how it really plays for me but I have high hopes, it's sad though that it's too small for my Joo Se Hyuk and Ross Leidy blades, can't remember why I cut it down to normal size :^)

Then you have a reson for trying the 1,6 mm version :D. Seriously, it is worth a try, not as difficult as it may sound, but you need to be more active with it. At the same time as it is easier to deal with no spin balls or just attacking back a fast one aimed to you body, it is more sensitive when chopping. A slow and lazy chop will give the ball time to dig into the rubber and the angle will be incorrect. But this is just a matter of adjustment and practising... There are lots of benefits with the thicker version I think, but I need a few sessions more to evaluate it.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 20:24 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

@ Lorre. Sounds like you just had a bad session. Keep it for a few more sessions before you decide. I have tried lots of different rubbers and almost every time I like the new ones the first session. The second and third session usually gives me second thoughts. Then the real evaluation starts, where you can make a more correct decision weather or not you should continue to use it. Don't let cocky training partners ruin your day :). Just think of it as yet another session where you got to getmore familiar with your new material and therefore are getting closer to be able to make a mature decision.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 20:36 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

I'm gonna test the 1.2mm version on the Korbel blade for 2-3 sessions, one later tonight, and if it feels right then I'm gonna go for the 1.2mm version. If I still feel like there isn't enough grip or whatever with the 1.2mm version then I'm going to try the 1.6mm version. Historically though I've like sponge sizes just over 1mm, any thicker and I start loosing the feedback through the blade that I like.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 20:59 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
I'm gonna test the 1.2mm version on the Korbel blade for 2-3 sessions, one later tonight, and if it feels right then I'm gonna go for the 1.2mm version. If I still feel like there isn't enough grip or whatever with the 1.2mm version then I'm going to try the 1.6mm version. Historically though I've like sponge sizes just over 1mm, any thicker and I start loosing the feedback through the blade that I like.

It is not the grip that differs, it is amount of back spin that somehow increases due to the thicker sponge and that it is more difficult for theopponent to read the spin (if they look at the trajectory). I think it has to do with increased catapult efffect or something, or that the pips works better for my technique when attached to that thicker and softer sponge (it is not actually softer but it feels like that). Also, the trajectory differs. My first chops i placed straight into the net, or if I choped to lazy they went way too high. But when I timed it right the ball went straight ahead, very low and landed with a very flat arc on the other side, almost impossible to loop or to ush back. Also, I could to a lot more sidespin with it. But when using the rubber in a more lazy way with a soft touch it felt almost the same as 1,2 version. What I am trying to say is that this feels like a differnet rubber, not just a thicker and a little faster version of the 1,2 mm. Just different. I am not sure it is better for me or for you, just that it was not what I had expected.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2011, 22:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Def-attack wrote:
@ Lorre. Sounds like you just had a bad session. Keep it for a few more sessions before you decide. I have tried lots of different rubbers and almost every time I like the new ones the first session. The second and third session usually gives me second thoughts. Then the real evaluation starts, where you can make a more correct decision weather or not you should continue to use it. Don't let cocky training partners ruin your day :). Just think of it as yet another session where you got to getmore familiar with your new material and therefore are getting closer to be able to make a mature decision.

I've been thinking about my rubbers and I know that there is huge potential in them. I felt that Monday and even Wednesday with usual practice. So I'm not giving them up, in contrary... :)

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 02:33 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Just came home from a session with D.Tecs 1.2mm on my Korbel blade and it felt both good and bad, I've never really liked the Korbel blade so I will test it on my JSH or my Ross Leidy blade next time. The pushing problem was definitely fixed but I was NOT used to the ball gripping more when I chopped so I put a lot in the net, that's just a matter of training though.

One question that popped up in my head; When they made the changes to D.Tecs, IE shortened the pips and removed the tension, did they do the same to the sponge version? I guess they shortened the pips there too but did they get rid of the tension?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 03:08 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

auzcar wrote:
Just came home from a session with D.Tecs 1.2mm on my Korbel blade and it felt both good and bad, I've never really liked the Korbel blade so I will test it on my JSH or my Ross Leidy blade next time. The pushing problem was definitely fixed but I was NOT used to the ball gripping more when I chopped so I put a lot in the net, that's just a matter of training though.

One question that popped up in my head; When they made the changes to D.Tecs, IE shortened the pips and removed the tension, did they do the same to the sponge version? I guess they shortened the pips there too but did they get rid of the tension?

I can't notice any difference between my 3 ex, at least one of them is old and one i new.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 03:10 
Joo Too
Joo Too

auzcar wrote:

As far as I know, they shortened the pips too, but they didn't get rid of the tension. But the difference between the old and new Dtecs in 1,2mm is minimal. The factor that stood out the most was better control in the new version.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 03:13 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Lorre wrote:
auzcar wrote:

As far as I know, they shortened the pips too, but they didn't get rid of the tension. But the difference between the old and new Dtecs in 1,2mm is minimal. The factor that stood out the most was better control in the new version.

That's pretty much what I expected, and wanted. Is it still as bouncy as the old one? I found that the new version gripped more in OX, is it the same for the sponged version?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2011, 05:01 
Joo Too
Joo Too

A far as my feeling indicates, the new D.Tecs is still as bouncy as the old one. I found the grip of the new DTecs being the same as the old one.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 05:44 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I had my second session with the ,6 mm today, and this time with my long time training friend who an loop again and again against my 1,2 mm D.tecS. Neither of us had the best day, early on saturday as it was... However, it was very clear that there are clear differences between 1,2 mm and 1,6 mm. He got very frustrated misreading lots of spins. Both against chopping but also when I pushed against his no spin serves or against his pushes. Sometimes there will be back spin and sometimes not... Without any of us knowing exactly when :lol: . As you can imagine this is a little difficult even for me :). But I felt the same way when I started using D.TecS. I think I will get to know this one as well.

Main findings after today's session:

Chopping against loops generate a lot more back spin than 1,2 mm. It is also easier to make no spin chops that looks like ordinary chops. It is, like said before, very important to be active when using this rubber, never hit straight through the ball, instead always brush the ball in some direction or it will go long. This is the same with 1,2 mm but more important with the thicker one. But I have to admit that the control is not as good as many choppers would like, but I manage to land the ball on the table for at least 3/4 of my chops. But a light touch is important and you need a full swing - attacks close to your body is more difficult to handle with this one.

Attacking is more easy, and the rubber starts acting like an inverted when you hit a little harder and acivate the sponge. You can loop from below the table and still land it perfectly on the other side and you can smash or even drive with great speed. But once your opponent learn to read the spin, this is not a difficult ball to return... This, however, gives me the oppurtunity to attack with my BH without having to twiddle and that is something I have been looking for. I tried today to approach the table on a drop shot or a push, and then loop back with my pips. It worked quite well, but I need more practice.

Pushing is a lot better since you have more dwell time, you can generate more spin on your own. You can also make a light contact to return the ball without stopping its spin. The spin reversal at this stroke is almost as good as with 1,2 mm. Returning serves this way is also better though you have to be more careful since the spin bites a little more on this one.

Blocking is a little harder but I think I will be able to play close to the table like I can with 1,2 mm if I practise a little more to find the right angle and movement. Passive blocking is no good, nor is chop blocking (but the latter ca be done). Bocking like with an inverted is quite good, returns the ball fast and dead or, with a lighter touch, slow and dead.
Serving is great, you can actually generate some back spin. This is tricky for your opponent since it is very difficult to read if it is a no spin serve or a back spin serve.

I find this rubber to be the ultimate allround rubber. Perfect if you like chopping but also need to be able to attack with it. And it is extremly deceptive, unfortunately also for the user :) ... But I will keep it, it is so much fun to use!

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 05:46 

Talking about the "tension" effect of the rubber in OX...after the removal of the gluesheet this version should have "no tension" anymore since the topsheet is not stretched onto the gluesheet anymore...is this statement correct and is the topsheet stretched onto the sponge in the 1,2 and 1,6 versions? :?:

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 05:58 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

youcandoMAGIC wrote:
Talking about the "tension" effect of the rubber in OX...after the removal of the gluesheet this version should have "no tension" anymore since the topsheet is not stretched onto the gluesheet anymore...is this statement correct and is the topsheet stretched onto the sponge in the 1,2 and 1,6 versions? :?:

I have never used in ox. But the first one I bought before they changed it and this new thick one I bought a week ago. I can not notice anything different besides thickness of the sponge. The topsheet looks exactly the same. Also, I have another version of the 1,2 mm bought from Germany just after they said to change it. But I do not know what batch that one origins from, if it is new with shorter pips or old. I actually think that they never changed the topsheet, only removed the gluesheet...

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2011, 08:13 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

I added a short video of today's session, where some attacks and chops and blocks are displayed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=16771&p=183420#p183420

This is the video:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next