OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:23

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 06:45 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Just received my Giant Dragon Kris II blade.. Saw that blade on the US distributor's website and it sounds like something that I might like with a slow side which should be great for long pips and a fast side for the inverted rubber.. I will glue up my standard rubbers (Friendship 729 SST Cross and Dragon Talon OX) and will give it a try this week.. I will report back how I like it..

Has anyone here with a combination racket tried that blade before? How were your impressions?

PostPosted: 21 May 2013, 22:49 
Incredible Shrinking Man

Yes, Talon works ok on that blade.
Right now I have Curl P3@ 0x Red
on that blade. Works nice too.

Happy to hear about your experience
with your combo.

Cheers
Geddk

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 02:13 
Horse Hockey!

I've been using a GD Kris Special for over a year and it's the "medium" version. (Kris II faster, and plain Kris much slower.) There is definitely a difference between sides...I'd say OFF on the fh and ALL+ on bh. It is a fragile blade because one side is pure balsa without any harder plies to protect it. I'd recommend a HEAVY application of super glue or epoxy all around the edges and also some edge tape.

However, the Kris Special can really put some pop on the ball! So I use Hammond Pro Beta which mates perfectly with this blade and any ox LP on the bh. I used Talon for the bh for over a year and was runner-up at the North Carolina Senior Games with the HPB/Talon/Kris Special combo. Now I'm a hopeless EJ so I just had to try the Spinlord Dornenglanz when it came out. The Dornenglanz is about 10% slower than the Talon (at least it is on the Kris Special). SD is a beautiful rubber and easier to chop with than the Talon. For the fh I'd recommend only a medium-fast rubber to tame it down some. I tried a sheet of Rakza 7 recently and even though that's not considered to be a screamingly fast rubber, the Rakza 7's hard sponge turned the Kris Special into just a blade-shaped piece of plywood. :lol:

I have two Kris Specials...one with Dornenglanz and the other with DTecs. The DTecs, for me on the Kris Special, along with the Hammond Pro Beta is the best LP setup I've been able to find. The Kris II is just a bit too fast for me while the Kris Special is just right.

But now, despite finding a great combo, I'm trying to get away from passive play. My opponents know I can't do much damage from the bh side so are always pressuring me there. My skill level is far below yours so I just don't have the experience and/or technique to develop a strong attack with any LP. The DTecs are proving to be the best for that but my success at attacking is still low-percentage. For that reason I'm trying out short pips on the bh on a different blade (Yinhe W6). I tried the short pips on the Kris Special, but the balsa plies on the bh don't seem to match well with the short pips and the ball seems to just go wherever it wants to go no matter how much body-English I apply or how loud I scream at the ball to hit the table. These Kris blades seem to excel at pure blocking or attacking with a punch-shot. I suppose due to the balsa construction they are annoying loud and a bit "bouncy" but they are very linear and respond well to the short game.

I'm experimenting with a completely different setup now so I may part company with the Kris Special (I have two). If you'd like to try one out to compare to your Kris II, just PM me and I'll give you a good deal.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 08:59 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Thanks for the input!! Can't wait to try it.. The only thing that I'm a little concerned over is the fact that the head size is fairly small.. The Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a little oversize which I like...I do like the GD Balsa Power a lot which currently is my 2nd most favorite blade after the Firewall Plus as it plays very similar for half the price..just with a smaller head.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 09:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pushblocker wrote:
Thanks for the input!! Can't wait to try it.. The only thing that I'm a little concerned over is the fact that the head size is fairly small.. The Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus is a little oversize which I like...I do like the GD Balsa Power a lot which currently is my 2nd most favorite blade after the Firewall Plus as it plays very similar for half the price..just with a smaller head.

PB, I have one... The Kris II is too fast for me and doesn't have the nice feel of Firewall+ for blocking. The worst part is the small head of Kris II... I could live with its faster speed but the small head size really kills it for me, as it made the sweet spot smaller for critical blocking.

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 12:20 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

roundrobin wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

PB, I have one... The Kris II is too fast for me and doesn't have the nice feel of Firewall+ for blocking. The worst part is the small head of Kris II... I could live with its faster speed but the small head size really kills it for me, as it made the sweet spot smaller for critical blocking.

Thanks.. The smaller sweet spot is a concern for me too.. I'll try it.. Luckily, it's not a expensive blade, so if I don't like it, I'm not wasting too much money...

I see you next week.. Planning on being at LATTA on Thursday 6/30 after about 6 PM

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 13:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Pushblocker wrote:

I see you next week.. Planning on being at LATTA on Thursday 6/30 after about 6 PM

Great! Save your stomach for some lobsters and abalone later! (Or a hearty steak!) ;)

PostPosted: 22 May 2013, 22:24 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

roundrobin wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

Great! Save your stomach for some lobsters and abalone later! (Or a hearty steak!) ;)

I rather have steak than lobster as I don't eat seafood...

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 11:23 
Super User

Pushblocker wrote:

You live in Florida and don't eat seafood!!? Uh! I live in AZ and been griping there isn't any good seafood restaurants here...

sorry, off topic...

PostPosted: 24 May 2013, 12:44 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

fazer227 wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

You live in Florida and don't eat seafood!!? Uh! I live in AZ and been griping there isn't any good seafood restaurants here...

sorry, off topic...

Never liked fish.. I actually like the taste of shrimp or lobster but can't get over the looks.. they look like huge insects :lol:

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2014, 14:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Pushblocker wrote:
fazer227 wrote:
Pushblocker wrote:

sorry, off topic...

Never liked fish.. I actually like the taste of shrimp or lobster but can't get over the looks.. they look like huge insects :lol:

They are. Sort of.. ;)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 04:08 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
hi,

any new info about kris ii blade?

i am in doubt to order one or the kris special...

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 04:42 

Lack of control. Backhand too soft. Forehand lacks touch. You get what you pay for!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 10:45 
Super User

JamesD wrote:
Lack of control. Backhand too soft. Forehand lacks touch. You get what you pay for!

Dang it! I just ordered one yesterday!!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 11:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
fazer227 wrote:
JamesD wrote:

Dang it! I just ordered one yesterday!!

This may be true for one, while another loves it... it's so dependent on your style of play, that I would not rule it out yet. I know a few people here that use it and love it.