OOAK Table Tennis Forum
https://ooakforum.com/

Best pip for passive blocking?
https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32964
Page 3 of 7

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 01 Aug 2018, 21:57 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

dony71 wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
Giant Dragon Talon is good for passive blocking since it is a clone for Dtecs.


Have you tried Giant Dragon Talon OX on XVT balsa carbon ?
Is it good for blocking loop kill or too bouncy/fast maybe?


I haven't tried it on the XVT blade. I am comfortable with the 979 on it.

Author:  dony71 [ 02 Aug 2018, 03:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

LOOPOVER wrote:
dony71 wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
Giant Dragon Talon is good for passive blocking since it is a clone for Dtecs.


Have you tried Giant Dragon Talon OX on XVT balsa carbon ?
Is it good for blocking loop kill or too bouncy/fast maybe?


I haven't tried it on the XVT blade. I am comfortable with the 979 on it.


I have played with Globe 979, feel faster and less braking effect chop blocking loop compare to Talon
You might want to try Talon on your balsa if you like to play chop block
Currently I'm playing with ALL wood blade and considering to change balsa carbon for more spin reversal, but not sure whether too bouncy maybe?

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 02 Aug 2018, 13:19 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

In my opinion, based on my play, Talon is better for passive blocking but less effective for chop blocking compared to Globe 979. Talon is harder to control.

I used a Stiga defensive wood before the balsa. I like the balsa better.

Author:  dony71 [ 03 Aug 2018, 02:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

LOOPOVER wrote:
In my opinion, based on my play, Talon is better for passive blocking but less effective for chop blocking compared to Globe 979. Talon is harder to control.

I used a Stiga defensive wood before the balsa. I like the balsa better.


Balsa has less dwell time which means more reversal for blocking with LP
But Balsa with carbon must be so springy, my guess blocking with it will make
the ball flies out of table.
How is your experience using Globe 979 on Stiga defensive wood vs XVT balsa carbon
in term of chop blocking loop kill ?

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 03 Aug 2018, 09:27 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

dony71 wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
In my opinion, based on my play, Talon is better for passive blocking but less effective for chop blocking compared to Globe 979. Talon is harder to control.

I used a Stiga defensive wood before the balsa. I like the balsa better.


Balsa has less dwell time which means more reversal for blocking with LP
But Balsa with carbon must be so springy, my guess blocking with it will make
the ball flies out of table.
How is your experience using Globe 979 on Stiga defensive wood vs XVT balsa carbon
in term of chop blocking loop kill ?


More shock absorber effect using the XVT balsa carbon.

Author:  ootbs [ 07 Sep 2018, 01:05 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

I have the XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon blade, with Pogo ox LP, and Freindship Focus 3 Snipe (40°) max... Its my secondary LP setup, but Its a super fun blade to play with.. Attacks have that crisp feeling... and it weighs next to nothing..

However, I feel it harder to control my blocks and active strokes with the ox LP... The ball just shoots off the table ...Maybe it's a technique thing.. Infact, blocking with the inverted side seems better to me, with shock-absorber feeling..

I'm thinking of converting it into a double inverted..

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 08 Sep 2018, 10:56 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

ootbs wrote:
I have the XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon blade, with Pogo ox LP, and Freindship Focus 3 Snipe (40°) max... Its my secondary LP setup, but Its a super fun blade to play with.. Attacks have that crisp feeling... and it weighs next to nothing..

However, I feel it harder to control my blocks and active strokes with the ox LP... The ball just shoots off the table ...Maybe it's a technique thing.. Infact, blocking with the inverted side seems better to me, with shock-absorber feeling..

I'm thinking of converting it into a double inverted..

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk


It is a feeling thing. I can block smashes and high velocity loops. Pushing and passive blocking you have to develop a touch.

I have 3 XVT balsa carbons. 2 are the same all around while one on the bh side is 25% slower, don't know why. I use the faster blades because it is a different feel and that is what I am used to.

Author:  ootbs [ 09 Sep 2018, 04:00 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

LOOPOVER wrote:
ootbs wrote:
I have the XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon blade, with Pogo ox LP, and Freindship Focus 3 Snipe (40°) max... Its my secondary LP setup, but Its a super fun blade to play with.. Attacks have that crisp feeling... and it weighs next to nothing..

However, I feel it harder to control my blocks and active strokes with the ox LP... The ball just shoots off the table ...Maybe it's a technique thing.. Infact, blocking with the inverted side seems better to me, with shock-absorber feeling..

I'm thinking of converting it into a double inverted..

Sent from my ASUS_Z012DB using Tapatalk


It is a feeling thing. I can block smashes and high velocity loops. Pushing and passive blocking you have to develop a touch.

I have 3 XVT balsa carbons. 2 are the same all around while one on the bh side is 25% slower, don't know why. I use the faster blades because it is a different feel and that is what I am used to.


yes, maybe, it's a feeling/touch, or technique thing .... I find it, on the harder side, to control..

Author:  ootbs [ 09 Sep 2018, 04:02 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

To all who've played with Tibhar D.Tecs, GD Talon, and Globe 979 .. How, similar are the talon and 979, to the D.Tecs ?

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 09 Sep 2018, 07:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

ootbs wrote:
To all who've played with Tibhar D.Tecs, GD Talon, and Globe 979 .. How, similar are the talon and 979, to the D.Tecs ?



979 has a different feel to Dtecs. I beat a Dtecs guy easy using 979 after only short perod of time. I briefly played with Dtecs more control than Talon.

Author:  ootbs [ 10 Sep 2018, 02:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

LOOPOVER wrote:
ootbs wrote:
To all who've played with Tibhar D.Tecs, GD Talon, and Globe 979 .. How, similar are the talon and 979, to the D.Tecs ?



979 has a different feel to Dtecs. I beat a Dtecs guy easy using 979 after only short perod of time. I briefly played with Dtecs more control than Talon.


I don't follow, what you mean, when you say "Different Feel to D.tecs" ?

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 10 Sep 2018, 04:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

ootbs wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
ootbs wrote:
To all who've played with Tibhar D.Tecs, GD Talon, and Globe 979 .. How, similar are the talon and 979, to the D.Tecs ?



979 has a different feel to Dtecs. I beat a Dtecs guy easy using 979 after only short perod of time. I briefly played with Dtecs more control than Talon.


I don't follow, what you mean, when you say "Different Feel to D.tecs" ?


After playing with 979 if I then play with Dtecs I have unforced errors using my normal shots.

Author:  dazzler [ 10 Sep 2018, 05:47 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

In the celluloid era I tried Globe 979 ox on a Defplay,I tried it in a league match and found it similar in some ways to my usual 388d ox ,however the control was less and the speed slightly faster with less passive reversal when blocking so I took it off,never got to chop much with it due to the type of opponents that night(wheelchair players),I wouldnt go back to it I did`t find anything better or as good about it as the Dawei rubber gives me.
Around this time I briefly tried Talon ox which was faster than the 2 rubbers above and didn`t suit me

Author:  ootbs [ 13 Sep 2018, 14:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

Based on what I've read on the forums, the GD Talon seems to play, pretty much like the D.tecs, for most parts. However, for me, availability is an issue, for the Talon... The D.tecs is out of my budget....

So, apart from the Talon, is there any other cheap(er) LP, that has pretty much the same playing characteristics as the D.tecs ?

Author:  LOOPOVER [ 13 Sep 2018, 18:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Best pip for passive blocking?

ootbs wrote:
Based on what I've read on the forums, the GD Talon seems to play, pretty much like the D.tecs, for most parts. However, for me, availability is an issue, for the Talon... The D.tecs is out of my budget....

So, apart from the Talon, is there any other cheap(er) LP, that has pretty much the same playing characteristics as the D.tecs ?


This is very difficult to say with accuracy. A person develops a feel after playing several hours with a long pips. Then to compare one to another he needs them on the same exact blade with the same 4H rubber on the other side too otherwise any differences alters the playing characteristics and feel.

Page 3 of 7 All times are UTC + 9:30 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/