OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 05:08 
Super User

Hello everyone!

I'm very intrigued by the Stiga Vertical and Horizontal long pips.

There are hardly any reviews on how these 4 rubbers play. I also don't understand the difference between the 4 rubbers if I'm honest. Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Thank you!

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 17:20 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
I'm also wondering about this myself, both about the reviews and the difference between them.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019, 02:34 

Blade: Stiga Allround Carbon
FH: T05 Hard 2.1mm
BH: Dornenglanz OX
I have tested both Horizontal & Vertical 55 in 0.5mm thickness

Horizontal is an extremely spinny rubber but therefore also extremely difficult to handle. I've played ~10 years with P1-R but struggled to handle Horizontal due to it's grip. I really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't willing to spend at least 4 hours of doing actual chopping training per week.

Vertical felt like a totally different rubber. Decent spin on chops and pushes but far easier to handle than P1-R or Horizontal. You can do pretty much anything a defensive player would want and it's easy to control. If someone wants a basic long pimple with decent grip & spin and doesn't mind spending 40€ on a LP I would definitely recommend Vertical.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 07:19 
Super User

100 % agree regarding the Vertical 55, which I‘ve played today in 1 mm on a JSH.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020, 21:40 

I have used both Horizontal versions, 20 and 55 in 0.5.

I disagree with kantron, for me it has very good control. But I cannot compare to vertical versions, or to P1r, as I've never played any of those.
I used to play Milky Way Neptune 0.5 and both Stiga Horizontal's are easier to control IMO.
The 20 version is very slow, though. It can be used near to the table if you mainly want to go via placement. For chopping away from the table it is too slow IMO, my blade is All+ and I have trouble getting the chops long enough.
55 is a faster, i'd say it's in between 20 and Neptune.
So my rating (> is "better than"):
Close to the table: 20 > 55 > Neptune
Away from the table: Neptune > 55 > 20

I would recommend the Stiga rubbers for people (like me) who want to play chopping but are often forced to play close to the table, because the opponents don't loop or don't loop a chop. For pure chopping or pure close to the table game there are better rubbers.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2021, 11:17 

Blade: Nittaku Haneyoshi
FH: Search for DJ40+
BH: Stiga Horizontal 55 (1.0)
I've been playing with these rubbers for over a year. I started with Horizontal 20 (1.0), but moved to Horizontal 55 (1.0mm). Then I changed the color from black to red, because red is softer.

I immediately chose the Horizontal, based on the description of the Stiga. I was looking for new pipss for ABS balls. I didn't like the way Curl P1R played with the new ABS balls, and Grass Dtecs couldn't play because of the tensor sponge.

Pips have a lot in common with TSP Curl P1R and P4. Not surprising, because they were created by Stiga with the participation of Masato Shiono. The notches and the size of the pips are similar to those of the Curl. The pips is also made in Japan. The sponge is also 55 degrees, only the material is different.
Topsheet pips middle hard.

These pips are the average option.
- Good reverse (but worse than Grass Dtecs)
- Good rotation of the ball (opponents are surprised that LP can rotate the ball so)
- Easy to attack (better than Dtecs and Curl)
- Average service life (like Curl or worse, worse than Dtecs)

These pips can be played left and right side.
Version with 20' sponge more control, reverse less, attack worse. I recommend it for "novice" player or used with all/off blade. Sponge with damper effect, very slow. I need 2-3 training for adjust my play with def blade.
On version 20, the topsheet can be separated from the sponge, on version 55 it is easy to separate. I glued topsheet 20 on the sponge from the Curl P1R (1.0). I liked it and bought version 55.

I wrote review Horizontal 20/55 on russian.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 21:28 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
German review of Horizontal 20 and 55:

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 18:48 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Stiga Vertical 20 and 55:

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2021, 12:22 

Stiga Horizontal 20 belongs to a group of extra soft LP (Feint Long3, Curl p4, Spike p2, Vertical 20...) and the spin generated by H20 is better than Feint Long 2 but worse than Curl P1r. It is so far the only extra soft LP that reaches such a level of spin while maintaining high stability. Since it is also more suitable for the poly ball, I don't see any reason to use the older extra soft LPs. My comparison shows that H20 is a highly valuable hybrid of traditional LP and extra soft LP.

Spin: Curl p1r>H20>Long2>Curl p4>Long3 (Grass D Tech=?)
Reversal: Grass D Tech>Curl p1r>H20=Long 2>Other extra soft LPs>Long 3
Control: Long 3>Curl p4=H20>Long 2>Curl p1r>Grass D.Tech

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2021, 03:08 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Is anyone here willing to film themselves doing a bit of training? And a match or serve-finish kinda thing? I really want to see them in action. With a conclusion at the end or something.

I prefer to see it vs normal people who aren't always going to loop loop loop but also push etc

I will get to try Vertical 20 but OX tomorrow....so the 20 means nothing lol. Wish it was 0.5 but what can I do, it isn't mine.
Also wondering if with 0.5 sponge would be better paired with a pure wood defensive blade or something like stiga defensive Pro with couple layers of carbon.

I am very very curious about vertical 20 0.5mm as I consider trying it in future if I go down the thin sponge route.

Any insights would be great thanks

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2021, 13:46 

Blade: Nittaku Haneyoshi
FH: Search for DJ40+
BH: Stiga Horizontal 55 (1.0)
Ndragon wrote:
Also wondering if with 0.5 sponge would be better paired with a pure wood defensive blade or something like stiga defensive Pro with couple layers of carbon.
I am very very curious about vertical 20 0.5mm as I consider trying it in future if I go down the thin sponge route.

For classic defence, it is better to put 0.5 on an pure wood tree. Wood with carbon fiber, I think it will be very tough, it's difficult for an amateur to player.
Thick 0.5mm no so slowly, like 1.0mm. Because sponge with damp effect, and an increase in thickness leads to a decrease in speed.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2021, 07:53 

I've bounced between OX (Dornenglanz etc.) and 0.6 (many) styles over the years. Before an injury a couple years ago I was happily settled with Vertical 55 0.6 for chopping. While it has some all-around ability, attacking shots are on the slower side. In practice it is probably better used as a pure choppers LP where you can just push back a push instead of trying to shove forward through it with reversal. It has great control for chopping and is much easier to handle than say P1R, and yet the level of spin is still quite good and credible enough to use for dedicated chopping. There is a good contact feeling that I always liked (P1R feels more relatively vague/indirect). If I was still trying to run around and be that active anymore then I would still be using it. Also, don't be scared by "55". The topsheet is super soft, the net feel is still pretty soft and there is plenty of control. Vertical 20 is like paper on butter, too soft and loses some bite there for a gain I don't see. Horizontal I didn't give a fair test as the initial feeling and control was strange and I didn't bother to keep going as I had other things that were already working (Vertical).