OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 04:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I came to realise that my pimples in ox perform differently according to the rubber I use on my forehand.Also, even if I use the same rubber but in different mm the performance varies as well .

I´d like to know if you have had that impression too. Besides, for me , the weight of the blade + rubber must be the lightest possible, which is affected by the thickness of the rubber .

Have you experienced a better or worse performance of the same pips depending on the fh rubber? ...... thanks !!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 05:03 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I'm using short pips on sponge on the BH but I also noticed that the FH rubber affects the feeling of the pips. I didn't notice that when I was using a double inverted setup.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 05:29 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: Trick Anti
Absolutely the FH rubber affects the BH pips. Somehow the weight distribution has a great affect for me on how the pips play.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 19:28 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
I've noticed this as well! I wonder if there's any rhyme or reason to it, e.g. a dense sponged heavier inverted on the other side will make the pips feel slower while a lighter rubber will make them feel faster. Or maybe it's all in our heads?

Probably a bit of both :D

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 19:44 
Super User

Same here guys. :rock: Just changed inverted FH rubber from 2.1mm to 1.8mm thickness. Using the same OX pips on the BH. Pips now do not not feel the same at all. Softer and slower before and faster/springy now. :?: It is just one of those things... :^)

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019, 21:11 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Interesting thread

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 00:58 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Glue-effect forehand rubbers have a noticeable trampoline effect on OX long pip performance. Forehand rubbers with really hard sponges work a lot better. Also the so-called "energy absorbing" sponges are good.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 01:27 
Super User

Yes absolutely. On impact, you feel the entire combination of 2 rubbers and the blade. Although your backhand rubber would have a bigger impact on your forehand than vice versa because the impact sensation/vibration feedback felt by the index finger. An OX pips under the index finger will make your forehand feel more direct than 2 side inverted.

This discussion can also lead to asymmetrical blades (ie the new ALC/ZLC) combos not making too much difference, or an off+ forehand and de- backhand is simply not possible (at least without sacrificing impact sensation excessively).

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2019, 01:28 
Super User

PS I decided to switch to single sided penhold partially because everything feels MUCH better/crisper/more direct without a rubber on the backside.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 03:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's a guy here who still uses the bare wood on the back side of his penhold bat, just the same as he's been doing since he was in high school (and it was perfectly legal to do so). Actually, it's not really bare wood - it's got a "color sheet" on it.. in this case that "carbon fiber" vinyl decal material some people use for decoration on cars (I made up the racket for him). If you think long pips reverses spin, you haven't seen what bare wood can do.. :lol: Once in a while he'll forget himself and smack the ball really hard with it.. when we were using celluloid balls he'd break the occasional ball doing this, but he hasn't managed to break a D40+ yet...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2019, 04:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
There's a guy here who still uses the bare wood on the back side of his penhold bat, just the same as he's been doing since he was in high school (and it was perfectly legal to do so). Actually, it's not really bare wood - it's got a "color sheet" on it.. in this case that "carbon fiber" vinyl decal material some people use for decoration on cars (I made up the racket for him). If you think long pips reverses spin, you haven't seen what bare wood can do.. :lol: Once in a while he'll forget himself and smack the ball really hard with it.. when we were using celluloid balls he'd break the occasional ball doing this, but he hasn't managed to break a D40+ yet...

Iskandar

One of the advantages of using anti with dampening sponge on the FH is that the pips are affected in a way in which the ball has more dwell time on the pips ,.... and also , the speed is slowed down as well .....
The disadvantage is Fh attack is only possible on high balls,..... but if you use your bh 95% of the time it should be no problem ...

Just say people don't like playing against me,..because my setup is unusual and inconvenient, with lots of low slow balls,...attacks with anti consist of nasty , low , no spin balls,.... short blocks make people lose their timing ,..... and back spin is always attacked with a fast, low flight sinking ball,..... :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 21:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
charmander defender wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

One of the advantages of using anti with dampening sponge on the FH is that the pips are affected in a way in which the ball has more dwell time on the pips ,.... and also , the speed is slowed down as well .....
The disadvantage is Fh attack is only possible on high balls,..... but if you use your bh 95% of the time it should be no problem ...

Just say people don't like playing against me,..because my setup is unusual and inconvenient, with lots of low slow balls,...attacks with anti consist of nasty , low , no spin balls,.... short blocks make people lose their timing ,..... and back spin is always attacked with a fast, low flight sinking ball,..... :lol:

Your set up sounds brutal! I would love to play you and watch your game!!!

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 22:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Just say people don't like playing against me,..because my setup is unusual and inconvenient, with lots of low slow balls,...attacks with anti consist of nasty , low , no spin balls,.... short blocks make people lose their timing ,..... and back spin is always attacked with a fast, low flight sinking ball,..... :lol:[/quote]

Your set up sounds brutal! I would love to play you and watch your game!!![/quote]

.... Been to a great tournament with great loopers and people who love smashing the ball :) ..... and they said I was a nightmare for them,.... because my set up makes them think a lot , which causes psychological tiredness and in some cases anger and rage..... many of them got lost during the game when I twiddled with anti, attacked with the pips,...then,.... used the pips again to attack the next high ball with the anti.........

Also, when they were comfortable serving to my pips for a second ball attack,I changed my strategy and recieved the balll with the anti making them confused and throwing their strategy into disarray.This is what usually happens to us,long pip users , when the opponent continuously serves long / short no spin balls ,....they abuse their strastegy because we do not have a PLAN B ,.... so they usually " kill " us on that weak second long ball,.... to avoid this, we need to change our strategy during the game and give back a second ball with inverted/ anti,...chop the ball or push it intelligently but pushing is difficult because the pips lose control even on def blades,.. I made many mistakes even if I trained a lot,..and knowing what to do with that no spin ball , either long or short ,....

I played against a very good looper, I'd say 2500-2800 US rating , and he used a very intelligent strategy,...he served strong back spin to the middle of the table,..when I used the pips I could not send a low ball because it was fast and loaded with heavy back spin,....he , then, made the same serve but disguised the movement and send a no spin ball,...always to the middle of the table,.... MY DG just sent easy balls for him to attack,.... so I changed to plan B,.. and used Spinlord Gigant, either sidewiping , pushing, chopping,... and he started to suffer and not being able to attack the second ball he got lost in the rally with DG and the attack with the anti,....

I lost by a low margin,yes, because I failed in the crucial moments ....... all I know is he had to play at his full potential and live a nightmare :lol: ..I was happy anyway, knowing what I have to improve on....this is the path to enlightment,... lose against high skilled players to become better defenders :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019, 06:57 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
mynamenotbob wrote:
Glue-effect forehand rubbers have a noticeable trampoline effect on OX long pip performance. Forehand rubbers with really hard sponges work a lot better. Also the so-called "energy absorbing" sponges are good.
Completely agree.

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 03:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I have been testing Spinlord Marder in 1.0 and I must say that due to the slow ,soft sponge the pips have a much better control with the no spin ball than with Nittaku Moristo DF 1.2.

Nittaku Moristo DF 1.2 is a great rubber for pushing , blocking and topspin.Even on 1.2 the speed is decent thanks to the tensor sponge.However, this tensor sponge makes the pips perform a bit worse than the Marder as far as the no spin ball goes in pushes . For blocking the pips work the same with both rubbers .

So my theory is that tensor sponges on the fh rubber are not ideal for the pip pushing game with the pips close to the table .If you do rely on the pip game and do not twiddle or attack with the inverted, maybe the smartest move is not to use a tensor sponge on the fh rubber , even if it is too soft .