OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 16:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Sword Scylla Magic
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 04:01 

Hi!

Anyone has heard about this rubber?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33035596123.html

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi Aquaris U2 mediante Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Sword Scylla Magic
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2020, 14:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Well, it is in the LARC. 70-003. There's long pips on AliExpress that are not.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 03:40 

Well, the question is how long ITTF will tolerate Sword bringing out different rubbers under the same name and equipment number. We now have Scylla, Scylla Pro and Scylla Magic, which are different rubbers with different packaging but the same design and ITTF number.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2020, 03:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Iguana wrote:
Well, the question is how long ITTF will tolerate Sword bringing out different rubbers under the same name and equipment number. We now have Scylla, Scylla Pro and Scylla Magic, which are different rubbers with different packaging but the same design and ITTF number.

Yes,also you have GD Talon and GD Talon NT.Maybe they are allowed since they pay a little extra??
:lol:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2020, 17:32 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There are a lot of rubbers being sold under different names but the same ITTF number. In most cases, it's the same topsheet with different sponges. Sanwei uses the same Target topsheet (62-001) on (Plain) Target (white packet), Target National (blue packet), Target Provincial (red packet), Target Pro (metallic blue packet) and Target 90 (black packet). Target Pro 40+ and Target Pro FX Euro have a different topsheet (62-015). I can't find any sheets with the newly listed Target National (62-021) topsheet.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33035596123.html

What's with the "top pips reinforced"? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 19:49 

Iguana wrote:

Aaand the answer is here... Sword Scylla has been removed from the LARC.
They did shoot themselves in the foot, it was one of the better selling pimples rubbers.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 22:16 

Iguana wrote:
Iguana wrote:

Aaand the answer is here... Sword Scylla has been removed from the LARC.
They did shoot themselves in the foot, it was one of the better selling pimples rubbers.
You are right, I have just read it. Valid until 30th of June. [PENSIVE FACE]

Enviado desde mi Aquaris U2 mediante Tapatalk

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 02:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ah... 2020A is out:

https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads ... -final.pdf

If Scylla has been put on the "expires in June" list that doesn't necessarily mean it was removed for violating any rules. It's probably because Sword decided not to sell it any more. Why not? I can think of several reasons. Maybe the molds got damaged, or got lost. Maybe the 10 year renewal is coming up (they have to re-submit the rubber, and maybe they're having trouble matching the old sample). Maybe they're rationalizing their product line and want to reduce the number of rubbers they sell.

As I pointed out, if selling the same topsheet over different sponges using different names/labels is against the rules (it isn't, though Igor is trying to convince us it is), then a LOT of rubbers become illegal. CJ8000, Kokutaku 868, even Hurricane 3 (National, Provincial, etc.).

Other notable entries in the "soon to expire" list:

3 Sword Red Dragon ("better than Butterf-- Tenerg-" :lol: ) - looks like the whole Three Sword company is going belly up!
Butterfly Yuki, Wakaba, Pan Asia, Addoy… and some Sriver variants! - not to worry, Butterfly is reintroducing them with ITTF numbers.
DHS Hurricane II and III - likewise.

New under Butterfly - 14-041 Tenergy 19!! Wonder what this is.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 04:38 

iskandar taib wrote:
Ah... 2020A is out:

If Scylla has been put on the "expires in June" list that doesn't necessarily mean it was removed for violating any rules. It's probably because Sword decided not to sell it any more. Why not? I can think of several reasons. Maybe the molds got damaged, or got lost. Maybe the 10 year renewal is coming up (they have to re-submit the rubber, and maybe they're having trouble matching the old sample). Maybe they're rationalizing their product line and want to reduce the number of rubbers they sell.

Yes, that's totally why they're removing one of their best-selling rubbers. One for which they introduced a variant a few months ago that nobody will buy now.

Quote:
As I pointed out, if selling the same topsheet over different sponges using different names/labels is against the rules (it isn't, though Igor is trying to convince us it is), then a LOT of rubbers become illegal. CJ8000, Kokutaku 868, even Hurricane 3 (National, Provincial, etc.).

I didn't reply to that because except for you everyone got that this is not what we are talking about. The three Scyllas are different top sheets. The fact that you can get all three in ox might be a hint, but it's apparent to anyone who has seen them. They weren't even pretending that those were the same top sheets.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 06:35 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
So now like magic they are caught between Scylla and Charybdis and put to the sword.

Oops wrong thread. I knew I hadn't done something this week. Damn TT deprivation.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2020, 14:02 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Iguana wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Ah... 2020A is out:

Yes, that's totally why they're removing one of their best-selling rubbers. One for which they introduced a variant a few months ago that nobody will buy now.

Quote:

I didn't reply to that because except for you everyone got that this is not what we are talking about. The three Scyllas are different top sheets. The fact that you can get all three in ox might be a hint, but it's apparent to anyone who has seen them. They weren't even pretending that those were the same top sheets.

Ah interesting... Sounds like the Magic has some sort of extra treatment done to it. I wonder if that's not allowed - 868 comes in ultra-tacky, less tacky and non tacky versions, after all, and it's been on sale for donkey's years like that. You also find pre-boosted (tuned) and unboosted versions of all sorts of rubbers on sale. If this treatment results in a change to the pips size or spacing (by causing the sheet to expand or contract slightly) then that would be a problem.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000509762850.html

I suppose until ITTF makes some sort of announcement it's still unproven. In any case, might as well pick up a few sheets while they're there, OR maybe the price will drop drastically in July... :lol: $19 is a lot for Chinese OX pips.. it must be super-special for that price. It's interesting that it's a "best selling" rubber - where does that information come from?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 03:43 

iskandar taib wrote:
It's interesting that it's a "best selling" rubber - where does that information come from?

It was listed as a bestseller on ttdd, which is one of the main sellers of pimples rubbers in Germany. You can still see it listed as a bestseller in the first sentence on this page:
https://ttdd.eu/belage/lange-noppen-aus ... eller.html

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2020, 09:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

It doesn't look like it's on there any more. There's a blurb at the top that translates as "Here you will find a selection of interesting long knobs from various manufacturers from China. The bestsellers are clearly the CTT National Pogo, the Sword Scylla and the Bomb Talent." but the rubber is no longer listed for sale. This probably hasn't been updated for a LONG time. CTT National Pogo has long been removed from the LARC (because the company went belly up).

In any case, this is just one retailer, in one country. Maybe Sword Scylla was, at one time, the best seller for this retailer in Germany, but I don't know if you can draw any conclusions about why it's being removed from the LARC because of that.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2020, 06:35 

Just checking ITTF today
I notice there is Swords Scylla III with new ITTF approval code 70-019
Googling it, unfortunately no where to buy this

https://equipments.ittf.com/#/equipment ... rings/3298

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2021, 10:30 

Eacheng sell Sword SCYLLA III now
https://www.eacheng.net/Sword-SCYLLA-II ... 39686.html
https://www.eacheng.net/Sword-SCYLLA-III-p1439683.html