OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 May 2020, 23:37 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Hi there,

At the moment, I'm using Bomb Talent on a Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon and I've just received a XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon in my mailbox which I'd like to put new ox pips on preferably with a Donic glue sheet. The reason I bought the XVT is because of the harder outer plies and more stiffness.

Lately I've been doing some digging on the internet to find a different LP that you can chop well with (at least decent reversal), and one that produce funky balls when pushing the ball. I use ABS balls like everybody does now I guess :(.
I am a forehand looper and cutter, backhand chopper (mid-distance and further) and pusher (and usage of wrist when returning serves). I rarely block. At my level people often keep on looping, no matter how well you chopped (except for very low returns ofc).

I would like to know more about the following pips compared to the BT: Saviga Monster 77, Spinlord Feuerstich, Spinlord Dornenglanz and Metal TT Death. I am aware that Dornenglanz really shines in terms of funkiness and has some decent reversal, but I wonder if there are any alternatives. I have also read quite a bit and watched videos if available about all 4. A guy I trained with before quarantaine (and played against often) has been using DG for a long time. I also tried his bat out for a few minutes and the lower control didn't really bother me (as others mentioned in different places). The reversal was also quite good.
I know BT has quite some reversal when chopping, but is there any pip with more active reversal bc of chopping and that produces the same amount of funkiness in my (short) play?

I hope you can help me, with all your vast knowledge (as I have seen on all sorts of topics on ooakforum).

Yours sincerely,
unorthodox_lp-er

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 03:26 

Blade: Joola Carbon Pro
FH: LKT Rapid Speed 1.8
BH: Tibhar Grass D'tecs - OX
ox long pip, hard outerlayer, stiff blade, good reversal, some form of disrubtion... yeah that is basically what I'm running with aswell. Grass D'tecs works wonder for me... perhaps it will for you aswell!

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 04:10 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
+1

Try Dtecs but you may have to switch to a slower blade. I’ll gladly EJ but there’s always one constant and that’s Dtecs. Fantastic to chop, block and hit with. What it doesn’t do well is pushing but that’s easy to avoid by twiddling or hitting through the back spin.

DG is great if you want to play active close to the table but you’ll loose pips quite fast.

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 07:16 

Thank you for your suggestions.

I've indeed also thought about Dtecs, but I thought they were made less 'dangerous' some time ago. Are they still dangerous enough if I buy a new sheet?

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 07:26 
Super User

Donic Piranja Tec OX red,
slower than Grass DTecs and almost as dangerous as Grass DTecs.

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 09:05 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
deva sarjan wrote:
Donic Piranja Tec OX red,
slower than Grass DTecs and almost as dangerous as Grass DTecs.

I'd tried Piranja Tec OX last year and found it impossible to keep the ball from popping up on blocks unless I used a very active chop-block motion.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 16:37 

Donic PT ox might be interesting, as I rarely block.
TraditionalTradesman, I see that you play/have played with Saviga 77 monster ox. Do you think this might work for me? IMO its got good reversal and disturbing effect closer to the table. Can you talk a bit about its qualities and drawbacks?

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 16:47 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Saviga 77 Monster has great spin reversal, yes. It's best in blocking, but you can certainly chop with it. Attacking is tricky because the pips are soft and don't have much friction, so you need to hit the ball dead-on and at the right angle. Pips start falling out after about two months, but it's also a cheap rubber. I find this to be the best rubber with the new ball because of the high reversal, ball staying very low, significant funk and ability to block both actively and passively, but if you're looking for chopping, there are probably better alternatives that can generate stronger underspin with active strokes because they have more friction.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 16:54 
Super User

unorthodox_lp-er wrote:
Thank you for your suggestions.

I've indeed also thought about Dtecs, but I thought they were made less 'dangerous' some time ago. Are they still dangerous enough if I buy a new sheet?

Hi,

I play with both, the XVT as well as BT ... I like both, but not when paired together ... Found it difficult to control, cause both, the blade as well as BT are fast ... I don't find BT to be very funky... not in the obvious sense... I feel that it works, but in a more subtle way - skiddish balls, slight side-spins, a bit a braking effect etc .. However, now, I do want to try it on a faster, harder and stiffer, but, non-balsa blade... I think I'll install it on my XVT Black Knight 7.

The XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon is super fun blade to play with ... I think, it pairs well with Light, Hard-medium rubbers.. I've tried it with soft'ish rubber, but didn't like it, and I didn't like it when paired it with heavier rubbers... The blade itself is so light, and thick that, when paired with heavier inverted rubbers and OX LP, it feels odd, in terms of weight distribution ... I can block really well with this blade (on both sides), even against hard and heavy shots ... It has an awesome shock-absorber type effect.. Flat-out hits, are obviously superb, from both FH and BH, using inverted side.. I have little trouble, even top-spinning with it .. Hell, I can even chop with it (LP side), mid distance form the table .. . Really good at jab type stroke too ..

I'd recommend a controlled LP .. CTT pogo, and Dawei 388D-1 work well for me, on this blade.. .. Now, I want to try the Globe 979 on this blade..

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 16:56 
Super User

Hi,

I'd also like to know how you find the Donic Waldner Ultra Senso Carbon (and if you tried just the Senso Carbon), paired with Long Pips ... Same with the donic Epox .. I'm strongly considering the WSC, as my next blade purchase.

PostPosted: 02 May 2020, 23:22 

Thanks again for your replies.

It seems that the 77 Monster will not be the next LP I buy, mainly because of pips falling out after only two months as you described.
I cannot seem to find Pogo on the new LARC... think it has been 'banned'. I did find Pogo in LARC-2019-01.10 but it is not valid any more unfortunately. It could've been an option for me but I do not only play recreationally.
As you can see, I already have a 388D-1 (red ox) on a Yinhe n9s. Although this combination does not create enough trouble for my opponents. They have way more difficulties when I play with the BT or even CK531A. 388D-1 might work on the WUSC, but I'll keep the BT on there for a while.

As for the Donic Waldner Ultra Senso Carbon, paired with BT, I think it plays real nice. I really like playing with Hurricane 2 (not the neo) on it. You can chop and loop well with Hurricane 2 on your forehand. I haven't tried the Senso Carbon. Attacking with BT works well with the WUSC, but it took me a while to find the right bat angle. Chopping produced decent reversal (and possibilities to play low balls), but becomes not dangerous enough if you chop multiple times IMO. It is more effective for play closer to the table.
Making backspin movements against backspin needs an almost vertical bat position, but works just fine. Wrist movements gave confusing balls. Pushing against backspin works excellent and gives me a lot of points because the first ball the opponent plays after my push takes a while to come to my side, so I have enough time to set up for a loop for example.
Yasaka rising dragon didn't pair to well with WUSC, but a lot better with my Epox Control. The Epox Control works with different types of rubbers, but not so much with really hard chinese ones (Yinhe big dipper was reasonable, aurus (sound, regular) was good).
CK531a works quite nicely with Epox Control. You can do just about any shot with this combination. It also gives some nice reversal.
I always seal both blades before glueing.

Might feuerstich be an option for me? I know it is quite fast but as far as I can tell it would suit my game.

I've also been keeping in mind Hellfire. I thought it was more for close-to-the-table play, but I saw a video yesterday of somebody who used it quite well in longer defense (chopping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-PjLInNwQ

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 00:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Try 388d ox the tips are smooth not ruffled like 388d-1,I've tried bomb talent ,388d-1,531a and control/effects are better with the slightly slower 388d .I once had it on a Wosik senso carbon and returns of a strong players high spin serves were ridiculously loaded with reversal/spin continuation that he could not cope,needs a slower blade for chopping.

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 02:01 

Thanks Dazzler. Seems an interesting one. I'll order a sheet from Aliexpress (only $4.73 (USD), free shipping) after Covid19.
Playing it on the safe side at the moment.

Does anybody have suggestions regarding Hellfire and/or Feuerstich?

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 06:49 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
unorthodox_lp-er wrote:
Thanks again for your replies.

It seems that the 77 Monster will not be the next LP I buy, mainly because of pips falling out after only two months as you described.
I cannot seem to find Pogo on the new LARC... think it has been 'banned'. I did find Pogo in LARC-2019-01.10 but it is not valid any more unfortunately. It could've been an option for me but I do not only play recreationally.
As you can see, I already have a 388D-1 (red ox) on a Yinhe n9s. Although this combination does not create enough trouble for my opponents. They have way more difficulties when I play with the BT or even CK531A. 388D-1 might work on the WUSC, but I'll keep the BT on there for a while.

As for the Donic Waldner Ultra Senso Carbon, paired with BT, I think it plays real nice. I really like playing with Hurricane 2 (not the neo) on it. You can chop and loop well with Hurricane 2 on your forehand. I haven't tried the Senso Carbon. Attacking with BT works well with the WUSC, but it took me a while to find the right bat angle. Chopping produced decent reversal (and possibilities to play low balls), but becomes not dangerous enough if you chop multiple times IMO. It is more effective for play closer to the table.
Making backspin movements against backspin needs an almost vertical bat position, but works just fine. Wrist movements gave confusing balls. Pushing against backspin works excellent and gives me a lot of points because the first ball the opponent plays after my push takes a while to come to my side, so I have enough time to set up for a loop for example.
Yasaka rising dragon didn't pair to well with WUSC, but a lot better with my Epox Control. The Epox Control works with different types of rubbers, but not so much with really hard chinese ones (Yinhe big dipper was reasonable, aurus (sound, regular) was good).
CK531a works quite nicely with Epox Control. You can do just about any shot with this combination. It also gives some nice reversal.
I always seal both blades before glueing.

Might feuerstich be an option for me? I know it is quite fast but as far as I can tell it would suit my game.

I've also been keeping in mind Hellfire. I thought it was more for close-to-the-table play, but I saw a video yesterday of somebody who used it quite well in longer defense (chopping): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf-PjLInNwQ

Excellent video! Jakub's forehand is very good but his chopping shows exactly why I wouldn't want such a slow LP. He nets an incredible amount of balls when he's under pressure. I'm waaaaay below his level but the same happens to me when using more "normal" slow LP rubbers like Troublemaker.

PostPosted: 03 May 2020, 17:42 

mart1nandersson wrote:
Excellent video! Jakub's forehand is very good but his chopping shows exactly why I wouldn't want such a slow LP. He nets an incredible amount of balls when he's under pressure. I'm waaaaay below his level but the same happens to me when using more "normal" slow LP rubbers like Troublemaker.

Now I understand why it's a LP for close to the table! :lol:
This leaves the feuerstich and Death. The Death is a lot more expensive where I live. I think I'll be satisfied with feuerstich though... otherwise I can return to BT.