OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Hell fire X
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2022, 17:08 

I have just started using this. A little bit background on myself first. I only play OX LP on backhand. Don't chop. Close to the table chop block stuff. Quite a few years
ago, when I was much younger, had a USATT 2000 rating when I was using Super Block. Now, i would guess I am closer to 1700. I also injured my forearm, so I can't
really make a hard attack on my BH.

I like hard blades to play with LP. So I agree with most of the post I've read around this forum. Hard blades on OX LP, means more spin reversal, but harder to control
and harder to chop, and harder to attack.

The blade I am using now is a modified version of Le Géant, modified to a point that it really shouldn't be considered Le Géant. But it seems to work perfectly for me.
I am using a black OX Hellfire X, to compare to a red OX Grass DTecs. Was using Upupupup and Stranger, Troublemaker etc before.

The main difference for me is only with Hellfire X and Grass DTecs, is that I can passively block a strong incoming loopdrive with relative ease, almost as easy as in the
frictionless days when I was using Bamboo Curl P1. The blocked ball is fast and low (with my hard blade), but not difficult to stay on the table. Reversal is slightly less
than Grass DTecs, and trajectory is slightly higher than Grass Dtecs, also slightly less easy to block passively than Grass Dtecs, but definitely already all these points better than anything else I have tried in recent years.

I need to stress, for my game anyway. The ease of blocking passively, means just putting the racket at the right place and not move it when being loopdriven very hard and fast, is critically important. Probably the MOST important factor for me, when choosing a LP to use. Sure, attacking and chop blocking are nice and fun and looks cool. But in reality, in a match scenario, against strong players, there is no time to do a nice chop block, just barely enough time to put the racket in position.

Second most important is, the passively blocked ball is still somewhat dangerous, means, in the old Super Block days, super slow and super spin reversed. But today, with the new balls and no more frictionless LP. It is impossible to get anywhere near the kind of spin reversal as frictionless, but both Grass Dtecs and Hellfire X are already on the top of spin reversal aspect among legal LP that I've tried, still not enough, but have to accept it as it is. The ball itself is also less spinny and slower to begin with too. And because spin reversal will never reach the level of frictionless, there is no point to return the ball super slow, returning a super slow ball with not enough backspin is asking for trouble. So I actually appreciate Grass Dtecs and Hellfire X returning the ball relatively fast (on my hard blade) and with low trajectory, and safely.

I find the Hellfire X to be slightly more frictioned than Grass Dtecs. And that makes for more shot possibilities. Counter attacking a loop becomes easier with Hellfire X and active chopblocking is easier too, a good chop block will return more backspin. And I can push with backspin or no backspin with Hellfire X. Any of these, are not easy to do with Grass Dtecs OX on a hard blade.

And BTW, using UPUPUPUP, Stranger, and Troublemaker are easier to attack, counterattack, push with spin or no spin than Hellfire X.

With more friction, one can do more with their LP.

So what would I use? I haven't decided yet. I just recently started to play more again. I must say, I have taken a long long break since they banned Super Block. I just couldn't block any strong loopdrive in a real match condition, it was depressing. But finally, I seem to have found 2 combinations that I can block with confidence. I am guessing, I would have 2 rackets ready, against strong inverted attackers, I would use Grass Dtecs and let the rubber to the work for me. Against short pips and other fellow LP, anti, and not aggressively hitting opponents, I will use Hellfire X. I would need more shot variations, do some more work to win points.

And the two rubbers seem to play similar enough that I should be able swap back and forth without confusing myself.

Post subject: Re: Hell fire X
PostPosted: 05 Oct 2022, 03:40 
Super User

any review for Hellfire X with 0,5 sponge?