OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spinlord Leviathan
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 16:57 
Super User

anyone tried this rubber?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Spinlord Leviathan
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2020, 22:25 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
I got to try a pre production copy about a year ago at a training camp. Only played with it for about 2h but it felt quite similar to DG. My understanding is that it wouldn't be released to the public as they had som kind of issues in manufacturing.

Edit: Just looked at japsko.se and it's in stock. May give it a try.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 07:29 
Super User

On special this week at TT11 :)
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng ... -leviathan

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 21:19 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
Here is our review of Leviathan (with english subs): https://youtu.be/pipm6DJN3C0

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 22:11 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Looks very promising!

Really disturbing close to the table, and decent backspin when chopping away from the table.
Need some practice to be able to control it though

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 22:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
I wonder why it is only available in the black version.DG's black version was less durable than the red one.With Leviathan it is the opposite and the red version does not even exist.It seems some people say its durability is better than DG.We should know if those extra few months of durability are so worthy .It is not expensive but we need to know if the advantges outweigh the drawbacks .Also, those of us usually playing with red pips would have to change the fh rubber ........mmmmm,... something I am not ready to do just yet ,......mmmmmmm,..... :^) :^) :^)

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 23:16 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
charmander defender wrote:
I wonder why it is only available in the black version.DG's black version was less durable than the red one.With Leviathan it is the opposite and the red version does not even exist.It seems some people say its durability is better than DG.We should know if those extra few months of durability are so worthy .It is not expensive but we need to know if the advantges outweigh the drawbacks .Also, those of us usually playing with red pips would have to change the fh rubber ........mmmmm,... something I am not ready to do just yet ,......mmmmmmm,..... :^) :^) :^)

As far as I'm aware ttdd.eu carries 2 versions of Leviathan. One which is the black one described (1a), and another version (1b) that is both offered in red and black for a discount. If I remember correctly there were some production issues with respect to quality; that is why there are some sheets left with a discount (1b).

https://ttdd.eu/spinlord-l-1b.html

https://ttdd.eu/spinlord-leviathan.html

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2021, 06:17 

Playability is good. Feels like a grassier/weedier, more active Dornenglanz. Whereas DG shoots out faster, there is a little more dwell here to work with. Feels better for chopping, active stroke attacks, and worse at reversal shove attacks (best thing about DG imo) and probably passive blocking (not my strong point but it feels less automatic, a little trickier to control despite being slower, a little less dangerous). Still decent disruption here as with DG, particularly the more active you can be.

Durability is bad (even with 1A version from major retailer). After 2 months or so of use, I had 9 missing central pips across 7 different contact points. Maybe more like 15+ if you start counting edge pips and fraying. This is my first time using black LP (i.e. softer) in many years, and on a hard blade, and I am LP attacking more than ever including on FH but still, never seen anything like this before.

Edit: On the same blade and also in black, I then used DG for about the same amount of time and had similar issues, 10 missing central pips and another 6 near edges. So perhaps the durability is about the same then. Still, not good. I never had these problems back in the day with DG, in red, when playing softer (mostly chopping), on a not as hard blade.

Last edited by Eric Fountain on 07 Mar 2022, 13:23, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 05:09 

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Grass Dtechs
I saw a picture here on the forum about the possible launch of the red Leviathan, any news?

I can no longer find the photo I saw here on the forum.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2021, 05:22 

Blade: SpinLord UltraCarbon
FH: SpinLord Ocelot Medium
BH: SpinLord Dornenglanz
NewDef wrote:
I saw a picture here on the forum about the possible launch of the red Leviathan, any news?

I can no longer find the photo I saw here on the forum.
The most recent update I've seen for this is that it may be available in December of this year.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2022, 13:19 

I've been using Leviathan on a new blade for about 1-1.5 months and keeping an eye on this second durability chance. I thought I had only 2 missing central pips so far but was just lightly brush cleaning and more fell out. I have 6 missing central pips in roughly the same spot, and 3 missing outer edge pips (full pips, not half scissor cuts). I've been playing well with this despite poor physical condition and am close to getting back into tournaments with one in about a month and another 2-3 months after, so I had already committed to ordering 3 backup sheets to last awhile before re-confirming this crap durability. If the life is going to be 1-2 months then I'll move on to something else after. To me the point of Leviathan or Dornenglanz relative to other LP is the attacking possibilities (mostly reversal based, decently disruptive, some light override capability) and those are likely the very shots breaking the pips. Sad.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 15:48 

Just one session further (1.5 months total now on this sheet?) and I have 25 missing central pips and 3 outer edge. It is disintegrating before my eyes. I attack when able (and the grip of Leviathan encourages ripping the ball a bit more than slightly more straightforward DG reversal) but I am really not hulk smashing or hitting these balls THAT hard. Trash. TT11 so it isn't counterfeit and I don't think they were sticking a 1a sticker on old 1b stock because I had similar problems when I tried black DG awhile back too. I can't use this sheet anymore even for something as trivial as a weekly league. I have a few more to last at least until a tournament next month. I wanted to do our Nationals with it a few months after that but these sheets won't last and I wouldn't even trust a single sheet to make it 5 days anymore without like 4 pips falling out and someone trying to get me disqualified. Don't buy this rubber in black. I love the way this LP plays but the durability is GARBAGE. Maybe they can figure it out with a later batch of red someday.

Edit: Spinlord is owned by ttdd.de and I see they already have a new listing there for Leviathan "Premium", both black and red, where the description admits that even the 1a durability was "mediocre" (you think??) and now this Premium is the new and final verison. Ugh. Well, don't buy the old crap 1a stock, that's for sure. Not holding my breath expecting much from Premium either.

Attachments:
File comment: Picture
20220309_215511x.jpg
20220309_215511x.jpg [ 58.87 KiB | Viewed 2956 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 11:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, not good!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2022, 05:50 

Leviathan Premium is supposedly "super durable" per reply from Spinlord owner. I am not going to jump to try it right away and will believe it when I see it. Just want to reiterate to stay away from the older 1A version (or 1B), and warn that (1A) is unfortunately still the version TT11 is selling for example. I respect Spinlord for their innovation and having created some unique and effective product -- given the great play, it is a shame about the unusable durability on at least a couple of the better ones. I'm done commenting now until able to try Premium someday.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2022, 19:52 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Eric,

How many hours court time until the pips started falling out??

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!