OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Spinlord Dornenglanz 3
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 00:05 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
https://spinlord-tt.de/products/spinlord-dornenglanz-iii/

Coming out February.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2021, 02:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
merlin el mago wrote:

The description fits in with the idea that for the plastic ball we need slow pips + an off / off + blade to maximize the disruptive effect.

Fast pips are less controllable , however, imo ,it is best to rely the speed on the blade .By working out the best fh rubber and the mm, you can also control the speed on the pips .

Dg III sounds interesting and promising :)

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2021, 06:08 

Blade: Re-Impact Chevanti
FH: Spinlord Wyvern 1.8
BH: Trouble Maker ox
The new Dornenglanz III is out and I tested it over the weekend on an OFF- blade from Re-Impact. I can compare it to Trouble Maker which I am playing since it came out in 2019. I have never played the original Dornenglanz or the second version. Please note, that I am only an advanced player so far, playing with LP ox on BH for 6 years now and almost always close to the table. The pips of Dornenglanz III look pretty much like the ones of Trouble Maker: horizontally arranged with almost the same distance between each other. From my impression, Dornenglanz III is slower than Trouble Maker which was the slowest LP I encountered so far. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have a second gear at attacking stokes (or at least I can't activate it). In result, some blocks are flying very short and nasty but when I attack, the balls are quite easy to return. The way I play, the rubbers reaction is often unpredictable for me, especially when some balls are suddenly flying very high (blocks as well as aggressive strokes). When blocking against topspin, I have to close the bat significantly more which in my understanding means that Dornenglanz III is more sensitive to incoming spin. Furthermore, I can't perform a counter-stroke against topspin. I do it like a flick and it is very effective but so far I can use it with reasonable assurance in combat only with three LP on two blades. In conclusion, Dornenglanz III and I will not get friends. But it might be a good rubber for more experienced players with better technique who want a really slow LP.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 04:11 
Super User

What about the disruption? It's OX? Where did you bought?

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 20:24 

Yes, it is ox. I bought Dornenglanz III at the Spinlord homepage ttdd.eu and I don't know any other source. The main TT-shops in Germany do not sell Spinlord product. As for the disruptive effect of the rubber: I always found it difficult to measure. But it is important to me as it helps me when the opponent is making mistakes or is unsettled and does not find into his game. Of course, this varies much between different opponents. Therefore, the possibility to play as variable as possible is important, too. To make it even more complex, the disruptive effect of the LP and the possibility to play variable with it highly depends on the blade (and my skills). Normally, i check new material with my robot first. Then I ask different payers in my club how many problems they have and look for the mistakes they make. But for the second check I have only my son at the moment. He isn't an experienced player either but he is very much used to play against LP. He did not have much trouble with Dornenglanz III the way I played it. Only my ability to block really short and slow was a bit nasty to him. He could easily return my attacks as they were slow, too. There also seems to be less spin reversal when blocking topspin. But this point is less important to me because in real combat hardly anybody topspins into my BH more then once, the second stroke is usually a chop or goes into my FH.

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2021, 20:50 
Super User

What about the disruption compared vs Trouble Maker?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 06:10 

With the limitations I have mentioned above I would say that Trouble Maker has more disruption. I can definitely play more variably with it.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2021, 23:35 
Super User

Thank you.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 20:27 
Super User

Just ordered one OX red.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2021, 21:04 
Super User

Tried yesterday in a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon as per manufacturer advice to use an Off blade, the rubber is slow but not for an Off blade, I use Stiga All Round WRB & with the Acoustic Carbon was impossible to return strong top spin. Now I will try with the Stiga All Round WRB. Dornenglanz III is grippy so can generate is own backspin but I'm not used to this kind of rubber I'm used to near friction less rubber. Let's see tomorrow how I will play.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 04:53 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
One more review of Dornenglanz III: https://youtu.be/ann5W7ltOXY

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2021, 19:31 
Super User

I have to adapt my game to the rubber due to it's grip.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 22:54 
Super User

Changed the Acoustic for a Stiga Infinity VPS Diamond Touch 80gr Legend handle (I have another ST 93gr so big difference), with this blade I'm more confortable, the rubber have control always bending the pips.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 10:05 

Played with it today for about two hours against a 2300 looper. I put it on the Joola CWX which I usually use with Dr N’s Superblock so I can compare the two. It’s definitely faster than the Superblock, but it’s controllable. Chop locks are short and low. Pushes are easy and I was able to control the placement right away. It’s also reasonably insensitive to spin. One thing to watch out for is that sometimes the ball just pops up for seemingly no reason. Overall, however, it’s definitely a keeper and it’s reasonably easy to get used to.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2021, 22:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
nachalnik wrote:
Played with it today for about two hours against a 2300 looper. I put it on the Joola CWX which I usually use with Dr N’s Superblock so I can compare the two. It’s definitely faster than the Superblock, but it’s controllable. Chop locks are short and low. Pushes are easy and I was able to control the placement right away. It’s also reasonably insensitive to spin. One thing to watch out for is that sometimes the ball just pops up for seemingly no reason. Overall, however, it’s definitely a keeper and it’s reasonably easy to get used to.

In my view,we need to take into account that for a rubber to display its full potential we need to test it in different blades.It seems on the Joola CWX , as you very well state, the rubber pops up the ball.However, the ball might not pop up on other blades.For example , on the so called flexy ones .

Been watching some videos of DG III.It looks interesting,nonetheless, the slowness does not seem to be accompanied with serious disruption.Again, on other blades it could be increased.That's why when a new rubber is on the market it takes time to find the right blade and EVEN, THE RIGHT fh rubber .

It is not that simple. Just slap the rubber on any blade and just get the idea the rubber will be behave in the same way in any situation .Therefore, we need many forum members to test the rubber in different blades and setups .

I just came to realise one thing : with this plastic ball and even with so many differences between them depending on the brand, the key for the close to the table defenders is speed, not disruption because first, there is little to start with and it won't bother the intelligent, fast,spinny loopers.What DOES bother them is to mess up with their timing; only then can you counterattack or can they make mistakes.If and only if they are in position, ( 99% of the times ) the pip is a joke for them.However, once their timing is wrong you can start to think you can beat them.

This is true if you aspire to beat high level players.If you just aspire to stay at a medium, medium low level, these new pips and even the classic ones are just fine .Therefore, it is more sensible to play with a cheap pip and not to lose money.Don't you really think the manufacturers know that with the present regulations for pips any new pip is going to be just hype? of course they do, brother,.....

At present , I am following the strategy of slow pip - reduced speed- short blocks, counterattack, twiddling, pivot for a fh smash.... and it is ok for a decent level ; once I encounter a fast ,spinny intelligent player, any current pip at the table is not enough..... so little by little I am changing my style and at present I am testing the route : very fast, grippy pip allowing different types of blocks + slow blade and on the fh very fast, very spinny rubber,..... this makes the opponent lose their perfect timing,..... not easy points any more, right but those easy points are a rarity once the level goes up anyway ,....

I feel we waste our time too much when discussing new pips for close to the table blocking while this plastic ball is in use and the regulations against pips is still in force .If we just want to talk about aspiring to be a middle, run-of the mill player,..fine!!! ,.... but were I to have this frame of mind, I would have stopped playing tt years ago ,....at least ,I try to improve in life, be it tt, family etc ,.... and of course, none offence taken from anybody,.... :) :) :)