OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 01:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 05:38 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
nachalnik wrote:
It’s a bit faster than the Dr N’s Superblock and the reversal isn’t quite the same. However, from my experience, this is probably the closest thing to Superblock that I’ve tried. The reversal is decent and it even wobbles sometimes. It’s great against the loops if you chop block and attacking is pretty easy.

Curious: when you say that "the reversal isn't quite the same," is it even close to the same? Meaning that if you compare any truly frictionless pips like the real Dr. N. Superblock to any current friction pips, the reversal isn't even in the same ball park. Are you saying that the reversal of this new Superblock is noticeably better than any other post-frictionless-ban pips you've tried? I'd be curious to know which others you can compare it to, e.g., Grass D.Tecs, Giant Dragon Talon or Snowflake, S&T Hellfire X, Dawei 388D-1, Joola Badman Reloaded, Dr. N. Troublemaker, Spinlord Dornenglanz or any others you're familiar with? I understand that on chop-blocks, you can get good underspin, but that would make sense with many friction pips. My question is how good is it on PASSIVE blocks. Thanks.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 09:38 

Definitely better reversal than Talon, Dornenglanz, hellfire and Troublemaker. I never block passively, only chop block and Saviga is very adequate. Of course it’s not in the same league as Superblock but the overall feeling is similar. I was pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2021, 10:27 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

nachalnik wrote:
Definitely better reversal than Talon, Dornenglanz, hellfire and Troublemaker. I never block passively, only chop block and Saviga is very adequate. Of course it’s not in the same league as Superblock but the overall feeling is similar. I was pleasantly surprised.

Okay, if you never passive-block and always chop-block, that might actually mean that this rubber is better because it has MORE friction rather than LESS friction than these others, since for chop-blocks, the friction is helping you generate underspin. If that's the case, then the reversal on passive blocks might be low. But I guess we'll see what others think.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 02:14 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I had a chance to try this rubber out a few times this past week (on my Nittaku Shake Defense blade), and my very preliminary impression is that it's actually surprisingly promising. It's definitely not frictionless, and their packaging/marketing material is ridiculous, of course, but it has excellent control and more spin reversal than any of the current rubbers I've tried, Hellfire X included (which is the the second highest reversal I've seen). As nachalnik said, if you do a bit of chop-blocking, then the reversal becomes VERY strong. I tried it against a 2300+ looper yesterday, and I was able to return his very spinny loops again and again and forced him to push repeatedly. I haven't tried much off-the-table chopping with this rubber yet, but I've done a bit, and it seems pretty good for that as well. Starting to get the hang of hitting with it but also need to practice more. I also need to see if I can handle fast loop-drives with it. I played against this kid on Sunday who's 2200+ and who doesn't really loop but does short-stroked loop-drives, almost like hits with a bit of spin, and I found those would just shoot straight up (whereas they'd get reflected straight back with the Hellfire X), so I need to see if I can get the hang of dealing with those (maybe by taking the ball earlier or by adding a big of chop-block or pullback motion). I also think this rubber is a bit more spin-sensitive than the Hellfire X, but it's not so spin-sensitive that it's a problem. Will have a chance to try it bit more later in the week and will try to report back.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 19:30 

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
I had a chance to try this rubber out a few times this past week (on my Nittaku Shake Defense blade), and my very preliminary impression is that it's actually surprisingly promising. It's definitely not frictionless, and their packaging/marketing material is ridiculous, of course, but it has excellent control and more spin reversal than any of the current rubbers I've tried, Hellfire X included (which is the the second highest reversal I've seen). As nachalnik said, if you do a bit of chop-blocking, then the reversal becomes VERY strong. I tried it against a 2300+ looper yesterday, and I was able to return his very spinny loops again and again and forced him to push repeatedly. I haven't tried much off-the-table chopping with this rubber yet, but I've done a bit, and it seems pretty good for that as well. Starting to get the hang of hitting with it but also need to practice more. I also need to see if I can handle fast loop-drives with it. I played against this kid on Sunday who's 2200+ and who doesn't really loop but does short-stroked loop-drives, almost like hits with a bit of spin, and I found those would just shoot straight up (whereas they'd get reflected straight back with the Hellfire X), so I need to see if I can get the hang of dealing with those (maybe by taking the ball earlier or by adding a big of chop-block or pullback motion). I also think this rubber is a bit more spin-sensitive than the Hellfire X, but it's not so spin-sensitive that it's a problem. Will have a chance to try it bit more later in the week and will try to report back.

TT, thank you for your first insight of this new pip. I am excited from your observation as I am expecting this rubber to arrive soon.
Once I had a chance testing it I will share my opinion on a playability of Saviga Super Block. I am happy with Hellfire X and consider it as best
allround pip for the plastic ball so far. Hopefully this novelty will provide with a something extra.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 21:20 

TT, how does the Super Block compare to the Monster 77? Thanks!

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 03:49 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

gaijinjoe wrote:
TT, how does the Super Block compare to the Monster 77? Thanks!

Very different in their purely physical properties, certainly: Monster 77's pips are soft, thin and widely spaced, while Super Block is comparatively firmer, thicker and more densely spaced. In terms of playing properties, Monster 77 is faster, with less control, but it's more dynamic, i.e., livelier. Super Block is VERY controlled, with great ability to dink and doink. Super Block produces shorter blocks, with higher spin reversal. Super Block will probably be better at hitting, though I can't be sure yet, as it's not been long enough. Monster 77 is a bit less spin-sensitive and also has that ability that some pips have (the Giant Dragon Talon was one example) of having multiple gears, where you can produce very controlled balls with slight contact but also pretty fast attacks when you need them. Super Block is more of a one-speed rubber, that speed being SLOW, so you need to put your body into attacks more to generate pace. (Still working on this.) Monster 77, due to its dynamism, is more likely to get more opponent errors due to opponents misreading spin, while Super Block is more likely to keep you in the point until you get a weak ball to finish off. My ultimate issue with the Monster 77 was not anything about its playing characteristics but the fact that I'd start losing pips in clusters after 1.5 months or 2 months, which was too annoying to deal with. I can't yet speak to the durability of the Super Block, as it's been less than a week since I've been trying it out. The pips seem firmer and more solid, but who knows...? The other question I have to resolve is whether I'll be able to deal with fast loop-drives (as opposed to spinny loops), which is an issue I had a bit with the Monster 77 as well but not with the Hellfire X, which returns them low and fast if I'm in position. Hope that helps a bit.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 22:51 

In terms of playing properties ... Super Block is VERY controlled, with great ability to dink and doink. Super Block produces shorter blocks, with higher spin reversal. Super Block will probably be better at hitting, though I can't be sure yet, as it's not been long enough. Super Block is more of a one-speed rubber, that speed being SLOW, so you need to put your body into attacks more to generate pace. (Still working on this.) The other question I have to resolve is whether I'll be able to deal with fast loop-drives (as opposed to spinny loops), which is an issue ...

I agree with TT regarding the properties above mentioned. I tested it on fast blade (BTY clone Apolonia ZLC) with Neubauer Killer VH against attackers in the way of multiple playing aggressive style, ranging from full loaded Topspin to smart Underspin, sometimes with spin sometimes not. In summary there is to be said a high level of confusion for the opponent even more the opponent attempt to put the highest level of Spin/Underspin to his attacking shots. If you have the right technique, the ball curve is getting lower and lower and shorter creating a lot of problems for the opponent. On the negative side, however, it must be mentioned, that in the case of a smart player (the one who plays a kind of NO-SPIN play or with movements which hardly differ between Spin or No-Spin) a lot of patience is required !

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 15:58 

... but it has excellent control and more spin reversal than any of the current rubbers I've tried...

in addition: the result after a lot of exercises is according to TT its fabulous control but not in agreement to his opinion the spin reversal has not yet reached the same level of Spinlord 'Dornenglanz' i.e. the opponent is more than once able to redraw the ball based on a flat curve !

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 16:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ITTF NOW DISCOVERED AS FOLLOWS
-- PIMPLES are GETTING UNDULY SLICK WITH TIME.

Yea, due to oxigenic polymerisation on SavigaPimples, it has lost its frictionality below ITTF standards.
THIS is the reason that we about to establish an expire terms INPRINTED on all the long pimples.
5 year period will be mandatory as maximum storage duration.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 20:56 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Dear Igor,

You are so good at creating controversy..... the Ittf won't make any meaures to lose money or make the Chinese angry ..... The ITTF already knew the pimples lose friction after 2/ 3 years even on uncut sheets....The manufacturers cannot throw the unsold sheets into the bin after 3/ 5 years,...especially now with covid restrictions the sales have gone down considerably ,....

BTW, I don't think the close to the table style will disappear no matter how many bans they implement,..... Asia loves no friction and they let Aliexpress sell no friction pips with the ITTF logo on,....

No matter how much you hate FL pips or pips with reduced friction,they will never be out of the picture,..... maybe , when you get older and have reduced mobility, you will love pips :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 22:41 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
charmander defender wrote:
Dear Igor,

You are so good at creating controversy..... the Ittf won't make any meaures to lose money or make the Chinese angry ..... The ITTF already knew the pimples lose friction after 2/ 3 years even on uncut sheets....The manufacturers cannot throw the unsold sheets into the bin after 3/ 5 years,...especially now with covid restrictions the sales have gone down considerably ,....

BTW, I don't think the close to the table style will disappear no matter how many bans they implement,..... Asia loves no friction and they let Aliexpress sell no friction pips with the ITTF logo on,....

No matter how much you hate FL pips or pips with reduced friction,they will never be out of the picture,..... maybe , when you get older and have reduced mobility, you will love pips :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2021, 23:52 

@charmander defender -> That's it , thumbs up !!!

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2021, 06:48 

igorponger wrote:

Yea, due to oxigenic polymerisation on SavigaPimples, it has lost its frictionality below ITTF standards.
THIS is the reason that we about to establish an expire terms INPRINTED on all the long pimples.

Igor is a famous pot stirrer on some other forums as well
I wish him to concentrate on a tester of rubber boosting.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2021, 22:55 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
igorponger wrote:

Then LP players could surely convert to using crazy slick inverted sheets :lol: :lol:
Better not give the ITTF too many ideas to change rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!