OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Disturbing long pimple
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 02:39 
Super User

Which is the long pimple most opponents hate playing against or put another way which produces the most disturbance. Playing close to the table and I’m not a chopper. It must have good control with a low trajectory. Would sponge make it easier to play with but losing some disturbance.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 09:41 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
A general rule is that control and disturbance are on opposite ends of the long pip spectrum. D'Tecs has excellent disturbance but poor control. Feint Long 3 had excellent control but poor disturbance. You cant have both. However there are always exceptions to the rule due to the skills and shots of the individual players. Disturbance is only good in the lower levels. Players above USATT 1900-2000 aren't affected by long pimple wobble. If you want an allrounder pip that has reasonable disturbance and reasonable control try Rasanter Chaos Ox.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 20:57 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
There are several pips some people have complained against over the years.Nowadays,the term " complaint" seems to be a thing of the past as great disruptive, disturbance is nearly lost with this plastic ball .

For cheap profitable pips : Bomb Talent, Dawei 388 d1 ( some say 388 d creates more disturbance but in my setups d1 is far better for close to the table defence ), the older they get, the better .

For expensive kill - the - budget pips ( no better with this ball than cheap ones ) : Grass D. Techs,TSP p3 alpha r... some say the new Hellfire X but it depends on the blade,....

Now, Saviga Superblock seems to be the mid range, save- your- life pip at about 18€ each sheet..... bro, we need a new ball so defensive players can be complained of ,.... in fact, some people start to laugh at us,....do they ? :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 00:11 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
The issues with playing close to the table blocking style and the new ball are why I decided to go all in on training with the new wave of "frictionless" antispin rubbers. The level of disturbance is significantly higher than any long pip you will find. It takes a lot of training to get used to it, something I'm still working on. But the ability to generate insane spin reversal and short balls is fantastic.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 10:27 

I’m just wondering how long it’s going to take the idiots who outlawed frictionless pips to outlaw frictionless antis. Just because...

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 19:18 

For my close to the table game, IMHO Dtechs ox is the best.
Difficult to hit with but I take the ball early and block or push aggressively
using a side swipe stroke which keeps the ball low.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 22:20 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

nachalnik, I wonder the same thing. I hope that won't happen. But if it does, that will be the last straw for me. I am always one to follow the rules, I would never use treated pips, I try to adapt my game to new rules. But if they keep showing continued bias against defensive players they can go right to hell with their regulations. This equipment isn't being used by professionals, outside of a handful of exceptions. And they're not going to be in the top 100 anytime soon. Mostly it's being used by club players, and older players who do not have the mobility to play away from the table and/or have an attacking style.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 00:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
TTnightmare wrote:
Which is the long pimple most opponents hate playing against or put another way which produces the most disturbance. Playing close to the table and I’m not a chopper. It must have good control with a low trajectory. Would sponge make it easier to play with but losing some disturbance.

I find the skill of the LP player significantly MORE important than the brand/type of LP used. Pick one that you like (and can afford and have a good supply of), stick with it and work on those techniques.

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 02:15 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
It seems the banning of FL long pips was to stop Dr. Neubauer from getting too rich . It has been discussed here that it is ,therefore, incongruous not to ban FL antis .However, the incongruity arises even more when the FL antis are even more expensive than FL pips.Thus, the idea of messing up with Dr. Neubauer's business is out of place as he himself is allowed to sell expensive Flantis .

I am sure there will be news in the future about this new ban or maybe there will be no need as if they keep changing the ball to harm the defensive style, the new FL antis will get worse and worse even though the manufacturers are able to produce a better slick surface .

The defensive close to the table blocking with pips or anti will disappear for good.I wonder if this move will benefit tt, the manufacturers and the revenue for the ITTF .

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2021, 21:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

I can't see how it could possibly be good for the sport to make that style extinct. It's not used at high international levels, even at national levels it's rare to have it at the highest level. So who are they harming? The average player, especially senior players and players without mobility. As you point out, these rubbers are not cheap, so it would also harm manufacturers, especially if those players are driven away from the sport completely. I can't see what the benefit would be, although I felt the same way about the frictionless pip ban. I wish I could play a style like Ruwen Filus, for example, a modern defending game away from the table mixing chopping and looping, but I am not in shape to be able to do that and I am getting older and realize that's not a long term solution for me. That would leave me with bad choices. One, quit playing. Not good for the sport at all, as they'll lose my money from equipment purchases, entry fees, club fees, etc. Also, I enjoy the exercise and friendship of the game. Two, jump into the world of "treating" pips or anti, which I absolutely hate the thought of doing. Three, I stop playing tournaments, which again hurts the game as clubs lose my money. All for what? So some double inverted looper doesn't have to remember "if I give him top spin, it comes back as under spin"?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 03:07 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
Grass DTecS ox.
Since Super Block I have used nothing that compares with it.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 14:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

dwruck wrote:
The issues with playing close to the table blocking style and the new ball are why I decided to go all in on training with the new wave of "frictionless" antispin rubbers. The level of disturbance is significantly higher than any long pip you will find. It takes a lot of training to get used to it, something I'm still working on. But the ability to generate insane spin reversal and short balls is fantastic.

As an experiment, try bare wood. I'd be interested to see which has the higher reversal, bare wood or these frictionless antis. There's a guy here who still uses the back of his penhold bat, which is bare wood, which was perfectly legal back when he was playing last, in the 1980s. (Actually, it does have a sheet of vinyl decal material on it as a paint sheet..)

I suspect the bare wood has as much, or even more, reversal, but would be pretty hard to control.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2021, 22:27 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to give that a try.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 00:11 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
35 years ago I played against bare cork blades & was a nitghtmare, me playing Stiga with two Mark V.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 01:23 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Makes me wonder: would putting any sort of material between the blade and OX long pips produce greater reversal? Like, a thin piece of plastic, even one of those rubber protection sheets?

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!