OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 06:28 

Blade: Hallmark Combination
FH: Tenergy 64
BH: Grass D Tecs OX
Gentlemen and ladies which long pips would recommend to a player who has some experience playing with pips but never tested many so i don't know which is the best nowadays. thank you and sorry for the bad english, I'm from Brazil.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 14:45 
Super User

Hi,

The Best long-pip is one that best-suits your style of play.. However, some general popular choices are as follows : -

• Tibhar Grass D.tecs
  • Spinlord Dornenglanz (The first one.. I'm not sure of II & III)
  • Dawei 388D-1
  • Bomb Talent
  • Butterfly Feint Long II

There're many more, but these are ones I've played with, and can think of, right now.

If you could tell us more about your style of play, you'd get better and more specific suggestions..

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 16:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

viewtopic.php?p=384034#p384034

Be happy.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 02:30 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Here are some popular options, broken down into blocking and chopping:

For blocking (usually no sponge, i.e., OX):
Sauer & Troger Hellfire X
Spinlord Dornenglanz (original version)
Bomb Talent
Tibhar Grass D.tecs
Dawei Saviga Superblock
Dawei 388 d-1
Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker

For chopping (usually with sponge):
Butterfly Feint Long III
TSP P1-r
Joola Octopus
Spinlord Agenda (fine with no sponge)
DHS Cloud & Fog

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 14:22 

thank you very much everyone, my style is closer to the table, blocking waiting for the chance to attack.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 15:01 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
For a blocking style close to the table try D'Tecs or Hellfire. Both these pips have lower grip making them suitable for a blocking game close to table.

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2021, 14:48 

Blade: Butterfly - Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom - Omega VII Guang
BH: Dawei 388D-1 QUATTRO
Grass dtecs are definitely the best long pips for blocking with weird effects, bit of a double edged sword though as it takes a very long time to adjust to using them even if you've used other long pips before. Most players rate them very low on control, but a great investment if you're willing to put a decent amount of time working with them.

If you want something quick to pick up to cover up a weak backhand or keep a rally going until you get a chance to smash the ball, I find pogo national and dawei 388D-1 (quattro?) great near the table. 388D-1 is very good for hitting and dropping balls short and it's very grippy. pogo has pretty good reversal on chop blocks and bumps and is fairly spin insensitive. Neither is likely to trick your opponent into miss-hitting, but both are way easier to use than dtecs in my opinion. The higher control lets me place the ball a bit better, which lets me get more chances to attack, and I miss far less often than I would with dtecs.

A slight disclaimer, my style involves a lot of seemiller "twiddles" and attacking with inverted on both sides, I mainly use long pips for serve receive and slowing the game down when my opponent gets an attack or two in. Hence why I prefer easy to use pips so I can focus on my inverted game more. I'd say "easy" pips are definitely worth considering if you have a strong forehand or enjoy twiddling.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 07:10 

Blade: Re-Impact Chevanti
FH: Spinlord Wyvern 1.8
BH: Trouble Maker ox
CTT National Pogo was the first LP I played for a longer period. For me as a beginner at that time it was great for a mainly passive play. Unfortunately the game characteristics got significantly worse with the new plastic ball so I had to look for another LP. CTT National Pogo was banned by ITTF last year so it is not longer legal in tournament anyway. With the new ball I tried some other LP with the focus on control, good blocking but also good attack options close to the table and insensitivity for incoming spin. Disruption is less important for me because I have to get the ball back on the table in the first place and I never chop from the distance. I found Trouble Maker ox from Dr. Neubauer to be a good LP.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 14:24 
Super User

TroubleMaker wrote:
CTT National Pogo was banned by ITTF last year so it is not longer legal in tournament anyway.

Was it banned for some technical violation of the way the pips were, or was it just taken-off the LARC due to CTT not renewing the licensing/fee ?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 14:34 
Super User

TroubleMaker wrote:
I found Trouble Maker ox from Dr. Neubauer to be a good LP.

Yes, offers a good deal of control.... I get the almost the same control with a $4 Yinhe Neptune..

Another LP I've tried, and liked quite a bit, is Metal TT Death ... It's, around the same speed as Troublemaker, and offers the same control, but I found it to be more effective, as long as I played active strokes, and/or put some wrist into it ... However, I don't hear much about this LP..wonder why ?

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2021, 18:44 

Blade: Re-Impact Chevanti
FH: Spinlord Wyvern 1.8
BH: Trouble Maker ox
Sorry, wrong term: the company did not pay the licence fee so CTT National Pogo was taken off the LARC. It was legal until the end. However, it was the most frictionless LP I could find at that time. But on my first contact with the new plastic ball (unfortunately a big competition) I was literally shot down and could not win a single game. I replaced it and learned a more active play with my LP. I tried Death, too. In my opinion it is quite similar to Trouble Maker but a bit faster. The attack options are better and the disturbing effect (for the opponent as well as for myself) better. But I could not block as good as with Trouble Maker probably due to my currently quite low skill-level. But I kept the rubber to try it again in the future.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2021, 04:44 

thank you very much, i'm currently using Saviga 77 and i'm enjoying it a lot, good control and good to attack too. Hope the durability is good!

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2021, 11:35 

Blade: Donic Dotec Impuls
FH: Glayzer 09C 1.9mm
BH: Diabolic Special
Yinhe's Neptune .7mm sponge.