OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 18:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 17:20 
Super User

Looking at the signatures of members of this forum, quite a few are using oversize blades with LP-OX.

just wonder for a close to table blocking game, what are the advantages and disadvantages for using an oversize blade vs a "normal" size blade?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 00:50 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
Bigger size = bigger sweet spot

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 03:42 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I find that, especially with the new ball, which is very susceptible to swerving in response to sidespin or shooting sharply downward in response to loop-drives, having a larger racket face simply helps ensure more reliable contact. Some people claim that it's harder to attack with oversized blades, but I can't claim to understand why.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 04:04 

I personally play oversized blades for couple of years. What is the difference for me in compare with blades in normal size? or standard size like you want?:)
First of all - oversized blades from only the wood has got a bigger sweet spot.
Second - you can feel like your blade work when you bouncing the ball, this feeling is different than the blades with standard size. Blade work - I mean you can feel like the top of the blade is break down, feeling of the hit can be a more accurate.
Third - even off+ version with oversized top are little slower than the same blades with standard size
Fourth- oversized blades are better for pimple or anti spin players than off players.
Fifth - for OX oversized blades in my opinion are great solution because feeling when you play in ox version on oversized blade gives you a more accurate and if your are def payer you are I think not so fast in attack balls like off player - oversized blade gives you a more surface blade to hit the balls in distance.

Czopiarze - Tenis stołowy sklep - Sprzęt do tenisa stołowego | Ping Pong | Okładziny do tenisa stołowego | Deski do tenisa stołowego | Tenis stołowy | Długie czopy - Tenis stołowy | Krótkie czopy - Tenis stołowy | GEWO - Tenis stołowy | Der-Materialspezialist - Tenis stołowy | Tibhar - Tenis stołowy | Spinlord - Tenis stołowy

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 07:30 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Slower/better dampening, easier to land balls on the table (control) and more forgiving on where you hit. For most players, the ease of use more than makes up for the slightly reduced lack of punch compared to smaller blades. If someone was very good and hoping to be a much higher level, they favor the smaller blades to get that increased sense of crispness. That's why of all the pro/high amateur blocker players you see, they do not use oversized equipment for the most part. Though this also depends on how they use their forehands.

Smaller/faster blades will generally have a more direct rebound, a straighter ball path for the same angle. Down side is the speed might be too fast for many blocks. Slower blades require more of a forward hit to gain the same type of ball.

Why do they sell slow blades with smaller heads, then? Lighter weight, still allows for slower speeds but with a slightly straighter rebound in my experience. Also, if it's small enough the sweet spot actually seems to increase. You have a smaller surface to hit, but that also means anywhere you contact the ball has a higher chance of feeling that SWEETNESS.

Certainly, someone could have a different opinion on this topic -- but they'd be wrong! :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 10:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
My goal with my OX LP is to attack with my inverted. So if that is you goal I find the inverted plays better and more aggressively with a regular sized blade. It kinda depends on what your game is like. If you are hitting with the LP I think oversized are better as you try to hit close to the end.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2021, 17:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Moved away from oversize to get the weight down due to injury.
Advantages of standard size:faster swing and recovery after playing a shot,
Reduced Thin flexy Blade becomes a bit stiffer which was important for f/hand push control particularly,the importance of a strong serve return is not mentioned much but makes a big difference in a match.I have watched the top lp players in our area and they all have this rather than scrambling across to return with the pips .
With the reduced head size I don't see a loss of control or change in speed with the lp,but do see an improvement with f/h attack