OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 10:20 
Super User

Thanks for that video s_s. Haven’t seen Robert in action in a long while. Fantastic LP player and an inspiration to many LP players I am sure! What a BH!!! Used to love watching his videos in the old frictionless era and how well he used his LP in those days too. Sorry to digress folks as I am just admiring and praising Robert’s LP skills. I believe he still uses OX. Dornenglanz may be?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 18:14 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
skilless_slapper wrote:
Check out this game of Robet S's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t5UEoARerk

Notice how he handles the quick serve balls

This guy is great to watch. He's like a close to the table modern defender? Doesn't really chop block, he actually plays quite a long chopping stroke, but without taking a step back. Fascinating!

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 19:47 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Robert’s LP skills are great.He must be using a hitting LP like Zeitgeist.The no spin ball is no problem for him.

The problem is for those who play with low grip pips like D.techs......... for this low no spin ball you need to have different skills like chopping with the inverted- chopping with the pip is not a good idea as the pip sends an easy ball to attack-,then, the so called shovel shot, the side swipe,.... pivotting with the inverted and attack with your fh ,.....

All this requires hours and hours of training sessions ,.... no need for sitting ducks,.... just have enough resources in your strategy to lessen the disadvantages of LPs,which the intelligent players very well know about .

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 21:15 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
I can tell you now with sponge and especially more grippy LPs it's much easier to receive. I have used FL2 0.5 and 1.1 and I can very easily and comfortable just hard push or chop those serves depending on the spin.

But the question of the OP was about OX. Although I would have to wonder if an OX more grip LP might be different. Something like Viper, Piranja, TB? Any experiences?

But I hope that video shows you if it's not long serve/shot a low dead ball can be banana flicked even with low friction, try it for yourself and see. If it's long then it needs the stroke that Robert does vs those long fast no spin serves. Easier to do if its not super fast which in a rally a long no spin push etc isn't

Feel free to watch my youtube to get an idea. Just watch with grain of salt as I'm still making too many mistakes coz I'm bad but it's me, not the rubbers. You can see I can execute it most of the time, it's just reading the spin, I'm bad at it :lol:

Might be good to watch me vs Vuong the FULL match play to see all the points where you see a lot of the short game etc

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2021, 06:25 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
Last I read, Robert was using hellfire LP.

I don't think he uses pips with too high of a grip. He did come from the frictionless era, where his rating popped up over 2400. Most of his movements are done with an active stroke, especially against slower balls. Little actions here and there.

The shots you use should be dictated by the rest of your kit and playing style. Do you always stay close to the table? Do you move back? If you chop away from the table with the LP, then just sending a long ball back as close to the white line as possible (preferably not directly to their power zone!!) gives you enough time to drop back and get into your chopping game. If you are a blocker... this shot can be riskier since it's easier for them to blast it right by you up at the table.

https://youtu.be/NOmTbGHUjVo

A good return for some, might be bad for others!

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2021, 06:59 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
skilless_slapper wrote:
Last I read, Robert was using hellfire LP.

I don't think he uses pips with too high of a grip. He did come from the frictionless era, where his rating popped up over 2400. Most of his movements are done with an active stroke, especially against slower balls. Little actions here and there.

The shots you use should be dictated by the rest of your kit and playing style. Do you always stay close to the table? Do you move back? If you chop away from the table with the LP, then just sending a long ball back as close to the white line as possible (preferably not directly to their power zone!!) gives you enough time to drop back and get into your chopping game. If you are a blocker... this shot can be riskier since it's easier for them to blast it right by you up at the table.

https://youtu.be/NOmTbGHUjVo

A good return for some, might be bad for others!

Wow that's some really high level pips play! I think it's also very interesting just how far away she stands for serve receive. You can see it starting around ~2:20, where she takes a full step forward & is still just at the end of the table.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2021, 08:40 
Super User

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso
FH: Mark V HPS 2.0
BH: Dtecs OX
Nice vid! Yh I know that lady, seen a few of her vids, so good at the table.

Funnily enough tonight I actually took the advice and stood as far back as she did :up:
Definitely better there but that same 1 serve got me out twice vs Anatol again. Everything else I was able to deep chop back which was safer and easier to pull off and allowed me to drop back and be comfortable.

My Vlog / Blog
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32572

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 03:48 

I train to receive long no spin serves constantly. The best way I found is a quick chop block with the lower part of the paddle. The lower the better. It tends to land short over the net and it’s very unpleasant for the looper to attack

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2021, 20:30 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
Hey guys it all depends the kind of LP you are using: with grip or frictionless.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2021, 16:43 
Super User

I have always had trouble dealing with fast no spin serves.
Recently I found that the best solution for me in a block with a very light grip, that stops the ball short over the net,
not many can attack this hard !
I use Dtechs 0,5 on Chen Weixing blade.

Try it out.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2021, 01:36 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
That's fairly risky against players who can flip or flick, because the ball often goes back a bit too high. It works if they can only attack the expected long deadball return. Or if they are slow to cover the forehand corner

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2021, 21:00 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Tbh every opponent probably wants to attack the ball after a fast long (dead) serve.
Your best bet would be taking a step back and chopping the ball with a long fast motion.

Ive found a match from Xu Xin against Panagiotis Gionis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6PHN6VqDw

If you try something like Gionis does at 1:00 but start a little bit higher with your blade, that could work.

Otherwise attacking the ball with your lower arm and mostly wrist movement as if you try to do a killer backhand topspin against backspin.

Another thing I do is starting a bit left from your center, doing a sideswipe motion to the right and then forward (as if you push) could also work, although difficult to perform (assuming you're right handed).

As mentioned by others, keeping a very light grip and placing the ball very short over the net is also an option, with a risk of the ball popping up. You could try to do a little bit of a 'chop' motion above the table to try and prevent popping up.

I use Bomb Talent (ox) on a very fast balsa-carbon blade, as you can see in my signature.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!