OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:19

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2022, 07:58 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
What do you guys think? Is it better a safe pip for chopping in a fast blade or a fast pip in a slow blade?

which setup yields better results, in your opinion ,based on your experience?

I seem to prefer the latter

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2022, 09:03 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
In my opinion, the "best" is whatever you've used the longest!

That being said, it seems like most choppers prefer slower blades with faster rubbers. A lot more choppers use all-wood blades with things like max sponge P1r/P1V than, say, a Viscaria with Curl P4 in 0.5mm. Players using fast blades & slow pips tend to be blockers/chop blockers at the table, as far as I can tell. Of course that style will chop if they're forced back, but they're not a "chopper" per se.

I personally like a slow blade with slow pips, but that's also the setup I've spent the most time using.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2022, 10:06 
Super User

Quote:

Post subject: Re: Chopping : FAST pip or fast blade? Reply with quote
In my opinion, the "best" is whatever you've used the longest!

Well said Hopsquatch :up: At my level and may be against a level or two higher: All-round, all-wood blade (OX pips BH, thin sponge all-round inverted FH rubber) performs well against all opposition for an effective hitting and blocking game. Against the mighty power-looping demons (above my level), a slower blade again with OX pips on BH and very thin sponge all-round inverted rubber on FH messes up their rhythm & timing and forces a lot of errors. Provides me ultimate control with good braking effect in coping with the constant & consistent bombardment. :D . Have never strayed away from the setups I have and effectively have played with (more importantly enjoy playing with despite what the result as I am a casual social player) for years despite what other equipment (blades/rubbers) promise to offer. I am not a chopper per se. My two pennies for what it may be worth on this topic :)

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2022, 17:59 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Sami wrote:
What do you guys think? Is it better a safe pip for chopping in a fast blade or a fast pip in a slow blade?

which setup yields better results, in your opinion ,based on your experience?

I seem to prefer the latter

I prefer a fast blade. To me it feels like I am less able to get enough speed with a slow(er) blade. A few years ago I have transitioned to rock-hard chinese rubbers and do not plan on going back to any softer rubbers. If my blade is too slow, added with such a hard rubber on the forehand, I feel like my forehand lacks some punch.

Backhand pips are a bit slower (ox). I mostly play an offensive game rather close to the table, but will not hesitate to step away from the table and chop (either forehand or backhand). I will be experimenting with thin sponged pips in some weeks so cannot comment on that.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2022, 07:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
For me off - blades are manegeable and can be used safely with a slow or a fastish pip.A fast blade ( off / off ++ ) is a double edged sword.Unless you can train a lot or you have been playing with a fast blade for a long time ,I think the best way to get consistency is an all wood blade def+ / all round and a fastish pip.Speed is in the eye of the beholder.Also, the thickness of the sponge is paramount.I consider a thin sponge is enough to set up your game unless the pip is really slow .

A slow pip and a slow blade may also be a good idea but in this case I think you must compulsorily have max sponge in the inverted

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2022, 08:19 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Joo and Gionis both used relatively fast blades for FH counter looping. When looking at professional level modern defensive players especially Gionis, he wins a lot of points off his explosive FH.

I try to play modern defensive at a amateur level (USATT approx 2000). When using defensive blades like a Nittaku Shake Defense or a Dr N Barricade I couldn’t hit through my opponents. In fact one of my training partners often commented on how slow the NSD was.

I find it rare to win just points off chopping alone. Normally I use chops to set up my FH.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2022, 00:39 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
Do you get more spin and variation from the pip alone or is the blade more important than the pip in this department?

I think the ideal thing is to add more spin with both a fast blade and a fast pip but I don't think you can get decent consistency .I cannot understand how pros can control a fast pip and a fast blade and are consistent enough.I bet they do something to reduce the speed of the pips.Yes, they train a lot and are very skilled .However, I still think it is very difficult to get good consistency,especially at pro levels .

For example H.Hashimoto and H.Sato are superconsistent but they use a defensive blade,not an off one. .

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2022, 05:43 

Blade: XVT Hinoki Balsa Carbon
FH: DHS TG3
BH: Bomb Talent ox
Sami wrote:
Do you get more spin and variation from the pip alone or is the blade more important than the pip in this department?

I believe that both play a significant role and need to harmonize in some way.
Sure, your pip being harder, softer, grippy or not grippy at all will affect the amount of spin you can give.

The blade however, if having e.g. hard outer plies, will reverse spin more than create spin I believe, but I might be wrong.

Depends on what you want exactly from your combination.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2022, 08:04 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
I personally play same pips model for many years but change my blades. I think the choice of blade is a matter of playing style. I also think that there are a hand of known good pips and it is little sense to test more and more pips.