OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 17:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Meteor 845: Review
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 20:43 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Tested it in black, without sponge.

Rough pip surface. Rather stiff pips. Very thick sheet/undergummi.

This is a first review after playing it for about two hours, including three short (best of two) matches against equal opponents. It’s a first experience, so more testing and playing will need to be done and will be added later.

Reviewer: about 2100-rated left-handed player, varied game with OX LPs but mainly aimed at forehand looping attacks, regularly going backwards to chop heavier loops from opponents.

Blade: Donic Defplay Senso V3

Forehand rubber: LKT Pro XP 2.0 in red

Overall, it is very noticeable that Meteor 845 is a very grippy LP. The grippy feeling is probably reinforced when using a flexible medium-soft blade (like Defplay). There is a lot of dwell-time, making strokes controlled and easy to perform.

When I compare it with my current set-up with Palio CK531A on the backhand side, there are some huge differences. Palio has a very thin undergummi and is far less grippy, meaning that you basically work with the spin of your opponent. For me, this means a more defensive attitude on the BH-side. With Meteor 845, I can ‘make’ the game with backhand more. I have the feeling that I always have the choice between chopping, pushing or lifting/spinning the ball with the pips, from each distance. Even when I’m far from the table, I can still execute practically every stroke with backhand. This is far more difficult with Palio IMO.

Meteor 845 is faster than Palio when chopping. Chopped balls come back quicker to the opponent, the ball tends to ‘float’ less. Still, the rubber has real ‘bringer’-characteristics. Topspin balls can be chopped very controlled, they can be braught back very easy, with good speed and with a great feel. The high flex of the blade and the thick undergummi surely must have to do with this.

Are the chops more dangerous? That’s a difficult one. Some have compared the 845 with Curl P1-R when it comes to heavy backspin resulting from chops. I’m not sure that this is a good comparison. I played once with a thin sponged Curl P1-r and I remember the Curl to create far more backspin on heavy chops: the ball would easy land in the net. Curl P-1 is also slower and has a different feel. What I could do easy with 845 is manipulating the spin. I haven’t figured out yet what stroke gives exactly what spin. As mentioned, practically every stroke is possible, allowing for huge variations. What I noticed is that one opponent really struggled with my chopped balls. Some went in the net, but some went long as well. Big difference with my current set-up: Palio always gives back backspin on loops (especially on heavy loops), even if your chopping stroke is more passive.

When a chopped ball is returned by the opponent (mostly by backspin pushing) you really have to get under the ball and load your next stroke with enough backspin to not put it in to the net. Or you can attack it.

This brings me to attacking possibilities. Attacks are easily feasible and quite efficient and powerful enough. And you can attack practically every ball: backspin balls, but also no spin balls and even topspin balls. Close as well as further from the table. Compared with Palio, this is definitely one of the stronger strokes of 845. Attacking with Palio OX is more difficult to do and it is less efficient, because of the lack of power/punch.

I did some passive blocking too. It’s easy and controlled, but not very dangerous. Not much passive reversal, so if that’s what you’re looking for, this is not the pip.

Meteor is a bit more spin sensitive than Palio making the active short game sometimes less predictable for me. Some balls go long, some bounce up high, some go into the net. I guess the fact that I’m not used to it also plays a big role. On the other hand, it is much easier to create your own backspin in the short game and to attack weak balls (that aren’t placed well) from your opponent.

So, all in all, Meteor 845 is a very promising rubber on a flexible defensive blade. It is not difficult to use and gives you so many possibilities to more determine the game instead of just defending. Chopping away from the table is very controlled with good feel and many manipulation possibilities. I promised myself to stick to the Palio for this season (things are going well) and don’t regret that because even though my findings with Meteor are so promising, I still prefer the Palio. Is it because it is sticked on my beloved Victas blade? Is it because of the skinny and less grippy pips? Is it because I’m used to it? Is it because of the feel? Maybe all these factors play a role.

Anyway, to be continued!

Post subject: Re: Meteor 845: Review
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 20:55 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Thanks for the review, I've never tried it but it sounds like an interesting option. Good job!

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2012, 22:34 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
You're right sticking at the Palio for this season. It doesn't sound like it would be a fluid transition between both pips. Great review! :up:

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 17:52 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

And it's one of the cheaper rubbers around. Don't know how it would behave with sponge. I think it would match up even better on a harder and slightly faster blade.

I also tried an old red D'tecs OX from a team-mate as well this week, on an ALL+ blade. Not bad at all for chopping and SUPER for blocking, with plenty of reversal. I could easily close my eyes and still do a right shot :lol: . Thought it would be more difficult to play with.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 21:15 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Why would it be harder to play with? Harder to control than the Palio?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2012, 23:31 
Super User

Thanks for the review Pipsy.

I played with the 845/Donic Defplay combo for the first time last night. I think most of your review is right on. (I say "most" because I'd like to play a few more sessions with it) I'll reserve my final assessment until I play with it a few more times.

I can say this: Curl Pr1 must be a freakish monster if it can "generate" more backspin than the 845. I've never played with any OX rubber, and I've played with many, that could yield this much backspin when chopping.

My first impression of the combo is that it won't be something suitable for blocking with any deception but it will get the job done.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 00:26 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I gave 845 a go a few years ago, I wasn't terribly impressed by it. Not only do I agree there's not much, if any, reversal using it, the ball tends to give the opponent the easiest of returns to deal with for a pip rubber. I agree it was certainly an easy to use rubber, plenty of control, but no venom at all. Its a mid-pip actually rather than an LP, which is why its quite docile. I think DHS C7 was a far better choice in MP's, while 8512 was a much better LP choice from Meteor.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 21:00 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Pipsy wrote:
I also tried an old red D'tecs OX from a team-mate as well this week, on an ALL+ blade. Not bad at all for chopping and SUPER for blocking, with plenty of reversal. I could easily close my eyes and still do a right shot :lol: . Thought it would be more difficult to play with.

Lorre wrote:
Why would it be harder to play with? Harder to control than the Palio?

I have a sheet of D-tecs (with gluesheet) in my possession (a used red sheet, bought for about 10 euros from someone) on Tibhar Defense blade. I played with it a 1 year ago, when I started experimenting with several LPs. Before, I used Curl P3 alpha for four years. At that time I really couldn't play with D'tecs, it was so disturbing for the opponent that it also disturbed me ;-). A lot of my balls went long or into the net.

When I played it a few days ago, it seemed much more controlled. I guess it is my experience that I built up the last year with several pips that made it 'easier' for me. After the league I will continue trying it.

Yesterday, I played against my German friend who has D-tecs in OX on a OFF-blade and who attacks with it all the time (something between a hit and a block). Now, he found my Palio to be very disturbing when I chopped. Then we changed blades and I did some chops with his D'tecs: once again: very controlled, faster, and much more returned backspin. And great for blocking. I'm affraid the difficulties are on no spin balls and contra short game - Palio is controlled here. Ok, this is something for after the league.

Last edited by Pipsy on 17 Nov 2012, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2012, 21:10 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

treetop wrote:
Thanks for the review Pipsy.

I played with the 845/Donic Defplay combo for the first time last night. I think most of your review is right on. (I say "most" because I'd like to play a few more sessions with it) I'll reserve my final assessment until I play with it a few more times.

I can say this: Curl Pr1 must be a freakish monster if it can "generate" more backspin than the 845. I've never played with any OX rubber, and I've played with many, that could yield this much backspin when chopping.

My first impression of the combo is that it won't be something suitable for blocking with any deception but it will get the job done.

I'm looking foreward to your assessment!

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I gave 845 a go a few years ago, I wasn't terribly impressed by it. Not only do I agree there's not much, if any, reversal using it, the ball tends to give the opponent the easiest of returns to deal with for a pip rubber. I agree it was certainly an easy to use rubber, plenty of control, but no venom at all. Its a mid-pip actually rather than an LP, which is why its quite docile. I think DHS C7 was a far better choice in MP's, while 8512 was a much better LP choice from Meteor.

Well, control is a lot when the focus of your game is on FH loops. I more and more try to 'make' the points instead of forcing others into errors. Advantage of having both characteristics of short pips and long pips is that you can manipulate spin much better at each distance. And attack better with pips. With 845 I felt that I had much more possibilities with each shot and that's something I'd like to further explore. Still, I much more 'liked' the Palio. Thanks for your tips regarding C7 & 8512.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 11:50 
Super User

It's pointless to add to Pipsy's review because overall I think he nails it. However, the 845, for me, is virtually "deceptionless." While it's an easy rubber to use I found it hard to to hit with consistently. And blocking sends back relatively easy balls. It's compounded by the fact that the rubber isn't that fast.

I think if you chopped 95 percent of the time the 845 would be worth a look. I also think it needs to be mounted on a faster and slightly stiffer blade than a Defplay.

Over all, it is a good rubber but doesn't suit my style of play.

However the Neptune I just glued to the Defplay is another story.......

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 19:46 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

treetop wrote:
However the Neptune I just glued to the Defplay is another story.......

I'd like to hear that story.
Like Pipsy I have a working relationship with the CK531a now, and I guess I will follow his example and stick with it for the season. Makes sense...

Also like Pipsy I find the Palio can do almost everything I need, but is a little lacking when I want to attack. The reviewed 845 looked promising, except for its blocking characteristics. I guess that shortcoming won't improve with sponge. Is it any better with active blocks (chop/punch blocks)? The comments on passive blocks and spin sensitivity made me think of the Kokutaku 911 that the Palio replaced on my setup.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2012, 23:26 
Super User

Funny you should ask.....I found out by accident that punch blocks work very well with 845....they are repeatable.

I'll always have a soft spot for Palio CK. It's the rubber that I initially started with. I left it behind only because I couldn't control it very well. In retrospect, I don't think it's an LP that one should use while learning how to play with LP. But that's not to say it's uncontrollable. The positive qualities of that rubber far out number the negatives.
If I hadn't stumbled on Curl P@ I would probably still be using the Palio.

For me, it's a developmental thing. I had to jettison the Palio because I was a terrible-beginner LP player. In the early stages, I didn't understand how to keep balls low or away from my opponents sweet spots and therefore I was constantly getting hammered by hard smashes. So, rather than fix my technique :headbang: I went in pursuit of a rubber that could more easily absorb the harder hit balls. That's why I've stayed the Curl. The Curl has it's own issues---but I'm getting the hang of LP well enough to do "work arounds."

I'm currently experimenting with other rubbers because I want to chop more. My main Aurora/Curl combo makes chopping from more than a few feet away very difficult.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2012, 22:47 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

keme wrote:
Also like Pipsy I find the Palio can do almost everything I need, but is a little lacking when I want to attack. The reviewed 845 looked promising, except for its blocking characteristics. I guess that shortcoming won't improve with sponge. Is it any better with active blocks (chop/punch blocks)? The comments on passive blocks and spin sensitivity made me think of the Kokutaku 911 that the Palio replaced on my setup.

Keme, indeed attacking isn't easy with Palio OX, but it is possible when you sort of brush-hit the ball against underspin, only moving your under-arm. Hitting against no-spin is very unpredictable. 845 hits well and is still good enough for chopping. It has no intrinsic deception indeed, but you can deceive your opponents by manipulating the spin and by altering different strokes.

treetop wrote:
Funny you should ask.....I found out by accident that punch blocks work very well with 845....they are repeatable. I'll always have a soft spot for Palio CK. It's the rubber that I initially started with. I left it behind only because I couldn't control it very well. In retrospect, I don't think it's an LP that one should use while learning how to play with LP. But that's not to say it's uncontrollable. The positive qualities of that rubber far out number the negatives.
If I hadn't stumbled on Curl P@ I would probably still be using the Palio. For me, it's a developmental thing. I had to jettison the Palio because I was a terrible-beginner LP player. In the early stages, I didn't understand how to keep balls low or away from my opponents sweet spots and therefore I was constantly getting hammered by hard smashes. So, rather than fix my technique :headbang: I went in pursuit of a rubber that could more easily absorb the harder hit balls. That's why I've stayed the Curl. The Curl has it's own issues---but I'm getting the hang of LP well enough to do "work arounds."
I'm currently experimenting with other rubbers because I want to chop more. My main Aurora/Curl combo makes chopping from more than a few feet away very difficult.

I would go for another blade if you want to chop more... I started with Palio OX on Aurora which was fabulous for blocking, but I couldn't do decent FH-loops and chopping was horrible too. A flexible, medium-fast, medium-hard defensive blade works a thousand times better for me. Although the rather stiff Defence II also has potential... I think the blade is even more important than the rubber when you want to chop decently with OX LP's.

BTW: i found red palio to feel softer then black palio and better for chopping...

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 01:25 
Super User

Thanks Pipsy

I've been trying these rubbers on the Defplay.

My go-to everyday setup is the Aurora/Curl.

This is what I find interesting:
While warming up I used the 845/Defplay one night and Neptune/Defplay another night.

In the middle of the warm up I politely ask my partner(s) if they would give me feedback on the difference between the Defplay set up and my Aurora.

Even tho my opponents have extreme difficulty returning my shots generated with the Aurora/Curl they unanimously agree that the 845 and the Neptune are harder to play against. It's a complete disconnect from what I observe.

I think the difference is that I can load up more spin with the 845 and the Neptune and they remember that. In contrast the shots, whether blocks or chops, generated by my Curl look relatively benign and harmless. They see me chop with the Curl and misread the amount of spin (because there isn't quite as much) Or blocks appear to them coming back to them kind of floaty and slow. (they are but they are also dropping abruptly)

The shots don't "appear" to be a problem to my opponent but they have far more difficulty with the Curl. They chalk it up to a "mishit"

I'm also discovering with the Curl that with the right ball (and proper technique) I can send back chops with enormous amounts of backspin and chops that are dead. I just need to stay closer to the table.

So I guess what I'm finding out is that for me, playing a "doing a little bit of everything" kind of style with the Aurora/Curl, might be the answer.

I'll keep a chopping rig in the bag for fun (and education) and keep the Aurora.

Tonight I'm going to try Feint II on my Appelgren Allplay....just for fun.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 03:24 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

Pipsy wrote:
Keme, indeed attacking isn't easy with Palio OX, but it is possible ...

Nice to know. My current setup is sponged CK531a, but I just got a sheet of OX, so I will try out some variants. Thanks for excellent input!