OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: when to change your LP?
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2022, 07:04 

Blade: Andro Ligna OFF
FH: Spinfire 1.8
BH: Tactics Ox
When do you, choppers, change your old sheet? after losing grippiness?

When do you , blockers, change your old sheet? after pips start falling off? or losing grippiness in some cases?

How long is good durability considered ?

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2022, 21:29 

I have two bats that I try to keep at similar wear levels. The last time I replaced the pimples was after 8 months, so like 4 months if I had used only one bat.

That said, I'm starting to prefer fresh Curl so I will be changing more frequently in the future. Here are some posts on how Curl P1V wears over time https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38601&start=15

My blog

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2022, 19:28 

magnuseffect wrote:
I have two bats that I try to keep at similar wear levels. The last time I replaced the pimples was after 8 months, so like 4 months if I had used only one bat.

That said, I'm starting to prefer fresh Curl so I will be changing more frequently in the future. Here are some posts on how Curl P1V wears over time https://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=38601&start=15

It means P1V with less friction is much worse.I try to put on some rejuvenator after each session .

Blockers will change the pips much ,much later as less friction will benefit them.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 03:01 

Yeah it depends on your technique and what you prefer. For countering and chopping with a full stroke and thin contact friction is good. But for serve return, aggressive pushes/side swipes and more passive reversal you probably want less friction. Similar to the tradeoffs you make between thicker and thinner sponges.

A problem with getting used to or relying on worn pimples is that when you eventually need to change the pimples there is a big difference to get used to the new sheet.

My blog

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 16:18 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Sami wrote:

When do you , blockers, change your old sheet? after pips start falling off? or losing grippiness in some cases?

I play with Dornenglanz for an all round style of game, using LP for hitting, bumping, rolls/lifts, active blocking and chopping. I find Dornenglanz requires about 20 hours of court time to effectively break it in and overall it lasts for about 2 months before the pips start falling out.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2022, 17:39 

I play a close-to-the-table blocking aggressive pushing game using D-Techs OX.
In general, I never change my rubber. The pips are usually fine.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 02:51 

Rob M wrote:
Sami wrote:

I play with Dornenglanz for an all round style of game, using LP for hitting, bumping, rolls/lifts, active blocking and chopping. I find Dornenglanz requires about 20 hours of court time to effectively break it in and overall it lasts for about 2 months before the pips start falling out.

Yes, I had the same experience........Dornenglanz will eventually disappear imo....it is the greatest love and hate relationship I had :lol:

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 02:53 

Geodor wrote:
I play a close-to-the-table blocking aggressive pushing game using D-Techs OX.
In general, I never change my rubber. The pips are usually fine.

You are very right, Geodor.D.techs is expensive but you can play with it at least for a year straight.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 08:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BEWARE OF BROKEN PIMPLES.
Apparent lack of pimples is the foremost reason that the rubber in question may be banned from play either by umpire or upon the protest from the opposite player.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2022, 20:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
As far as I know, broken pimples on the edge of the blade are allowed.Therefore , Igor's observations are just jokes to tease LP users once again.

Innacuracy seems to be Igor's mantra. :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2022, 18:21 

Blade: SDC Handmade
FH: Rakza Z max
BH: Rakza 7 2.0
I am glad I found your post where you have shared a guide with us.

Last edited by BrittanyRobinson on 07 Jul 2023, 17:55, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 07:25 

charmander defender wrote:
As far as I know, broken pimples on the edge of the blade are allowed.Therefore , Igor's observations are just jokes to tease LP users once again.

I agree with you that Igor hates pips but to be fair he is only half joking because I would tend to think Igor is right if the broken pips are inside more than 2 mm from the edge. I assume the same 2mm tolerance applies for both pips or smooth rubbers

charmander defender wrote:
Innacuracy seems to be Igor's mantra. :lol:

Innacuracy ? Yes that is double ROTFL

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 07:36 

Sami wrote:

Chopper rubbers do not lose grippiness (& back spin or spin reversal) because grippiness mostly comes from

1. The pip tops(& sides) being more rough & certainly not glassy super smooth & frictionless like say RITC 755
2. The higher flexibility of pips (compared to say stiffer short pips rubbers or medium pips rubbers)
3. Higher pip density (inter pip distance) > Higher the pip density the more the spin, both back & top spin (cause of ban with Pip Denisty Reduction Regulation of 2003)

Sami wrote:
When do you , blockers, change your old sheet? after pips start falling off?

Only rubbers I have heard to have pips to fall off are Dr.Neubauer.
I have never heard Butterfly or Stiga have pips fall off

Another reason more pips may fall off is because the 40+ ball is bigger & heavier.
So pips from 38 mm ball era may have more pips falling off probably.

Sami wrote:

I guess it depends on pip material content & pip flexibility & again, the 38 mm era pips may break more easily
The first generation high Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips fell off after one session.
But I have never had second generation high Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips (from China) such as Magic 77, have pips fall off.
I do not know about high Aspect Ratio Super Long Pips from Indonesia as I have neve been able to buy them

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 13:21 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
I can assure you that chopping rubbers do lose their grippiness over time. I have played with both mainstream chopping rubbers feint 3 and Curl P1r. Both feint 3 and curl p1r slowly lose friction over several months. Over time the textured tops of the pips lose their grip and the pips themselves slowly soften up with use. Ruwen Filus has previously stated that he changes his feint long 3 once per month.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 15:00 

Rob M wrote:
I can assure you that chopping rubbers do lose their grippiness over time. I have played with both mainstream chopping rubbers feint 3 and Curl P1r. Both feint 3 and curl p1r slowly lose friction over several months. Over time the textured tops of the pips lose their grip and the pips themselves slowly soften up with use. .

Ok I will buy your explanation somewhat & stand corrected somewhat.

Obviously I am not that good enough to "feel" the subtle difference like a pro Ruwen Filus. However I can definitely feel the massive increase in looper torture index (increase in back spin or spin reversal) when I use a high aspect Ratio super long pips as compared to a low aspect ratio long pips on ITTF LARC

Rob M wrote:
. Ruwen Filus has previously stated that he changes his feint long 3 once per month.

Why only once a month ? As a sponsored player he can change every day or week. :envy:

Feint Long 3 & Curl P1R are pure garbage anyway in the 40+ plastic ball era.

Even if I can afford them I would never buy these 2 low aspect ratio rubbers or any other long pips on ITTF LARC as a matter of principle & even when no high aspect ratio long pips such as Magic 77 have not become available, I only used rubbers like KTL Stranger or National Pogo etc (And KTL Stranger is NOT a sticky or treated long pip. The pips sticking to shipping cover was a manufacturing & shipping related error & KTL did not make them purposely like someone would want you to believe)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!