OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 19:54 

Hi, I am trying to collect info about the sponges which are used by long pimples per default (no custom combinations, please)
Please contribute your experiences.
I am especially interested in TSP curl p1r sponges (1,0-1,5). Are they soft (=speed reducing), normal or with catapult effect?

I know that there is the "top 3 speed/soft" posting but that doesnt cover catapult effect. With catapult I mean a similar behavior like fresh glued rubbers. Personally I prefer sponges with no catapult effect, because I play with a carbon OFF blade which really is fast enough. Additional catapult leads to too many unforced errors and its too expensive to find out after buying so thats why I am asking :)

So far I know from testing:

Catapult effect (kind like fresh glued):
Tibhar Grass DTecs 1,2
Milky Way Neptune 1,0

Normal:
Tibhar Grass OFF 1,0 and 1,5

soft (speed reducing)
TSP Curl PH 1,0

Thanks for any input (or links to postings which I missed using the search function)

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 22:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
None of the Chinese made LPs have this glue-feel, and I'm sure that the sponge under the Neptune is normal as well. Perhaps the blade you tried it on gave you this impression?

XIOM Guillitine is another with a strong glue feel.

Some of the latest LP have the absorbing sponge, like Hallmark Phoenix, Dawei 388d-1 Grass, Giant Dragon Meteriote soft/Giant long soft and also some of the new Air ones I believe.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 23:32 
Liquid Evil Chopper

Neptune feels tame to me. I would rate DHS Cloud & Fog 3 as a rubber with a catapult effect. Even Feint Long 2 has a little bit of that effect too. TSP P1R is pretty dead though.

Chop til you drop baby!

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 00:00 

haggisv wrote:
... and I'm sure that the sponge under the Neptune is normal as well. Perhaps the blade you tried it on gave you this impression?

To be honest, I donĀ“t know exactly how this effect works. If I dont hit the ball directly the Neptune and DTecs play pretty slow but if I hit the ball directly, it is catapulted much further away than I have estimated, just like playing with a fresh glued rubber. This effects kicks in if I only slightly change the angle how I hit the ball. And - thats the worst part of it - I have no feeling when it kicks in and when not, resulting in some points when I miss the table by 3 feet although I hit the ball as intended. I testet the Neptune on a DEF and a OFF carbon blade with the same effect. Other pimples feel "linear" without a point of change and without any "catapult" effect. Others - like the Curl PH - even seem so decrease speed when hitting the ball directly, like a "negative catapult".
Sorry thats the best way I can descibe the situation :sweat:
And of course I am trying to find a rubber which is calculate-able for me which results in a high control with it.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 05:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The kind of catapult-effect you describe is, I think, caused by the pips, not by the sponge. Elastic pips will, when contact is made with the ball at more or less 90 degrees (i.e. blade facing forward), be pushed down like a spring and rebound. Rigid or soft pips will not do that. I suggest you close your blade a bit when blocking; open it quite a bit, grazing almost the underside of the ball, when chopping; and close it in a quasi-looping style, grazing almost the top-side of the ball, when hitting.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 16:36 

Hmmm I looked on the paper of the Neptune and there is a symbol on it with "Tension" in the middle. And playing it, I have definitely a catapult effect (which is probably a part of the high disturbing effect of the rubber but is not helpful for my control with it).
But perhaps its a combination between pip flexibility and Sponge effect.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 17:37 
Super User

catapult effect of sponge: Faint AG
catapult effect of pips (slower): L2
catapult effect of pips (faster): 755

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 22:21 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Kees wrote:
The kind of catapult-effect you describe is, I think, caused by the pips, not by the sponge.

The Xiom Guillotine's catapult effect is definitely due to the sponge, which is a tensor sponge.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX