OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:00

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 18:31 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

Mathias wrote:
No its too fast. Far too fast and my blade is optimized for reverse spin.

OK, looking around the finals of our Catalan Veterans Championship, most of the ex-superblock players have gone to donic pirhana, P1, octopus, destroyer. I think mainly for the speed and controllability, certainly not for the reverse spin. TTmaster isn't that popular it seems

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 23:10 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

I think that's a result favoured by our national shops julian, they're pretty much clueless on DEF material, I would say they're clueless on every material that is not OFF related...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 00:53 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

NiTTaKu wrote:
I think that's a result favoured by our national shops julian, they're pretty much clueless on DEF material, I would say they're clueless on every material that is not OFF related...

we have two very good local shops who stock just about every lp going including ttmaster and hallmark phoenix (www.zonatt.com and http://www.tabletennis-sportsmadison.com/). I know one guy who has gone through just about every pip going. I think it shows that slow speed and the ability to manipulate spin became more important than the relatively poor reversal of Insider for the vets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 03:53 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

Well, last time my coach tried to buy some P1R 0,5mm from Madison for me, they told him it was out of production :shock: Last time I tried with them I also had problems, bought a Tibhar Vari Spin and never came home...

Returning to the topic, It's interesting to see that Grass D.Techs gets so much attention, it's a pretty old model AFAIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2009, 08:15 
Anti Spin Hero
Anti Spin Hero

NiTTaKu wrote:
Well, last time my coach tried to buy some P1R 0,5mm from Madison for me, they told him it was out of production :shock: Last time I tried with them I also had problems, bought a Tibhar Vari Spin and never came home...

Returning to the topic, It's interesting to see that Grass D.Techs gets so much attention, it's a pretty old model AFAIK.

It really does depend who you get in Maddison. They are famous for off-loading carbon blades on youngsters. But if you know what you want, don't ask advice, and they have what you want (i.e. they seem to always have P1 and p2 when I go but NEVER P3)local clubs get a 20 percent discount. Zonatt know much more, and have a more interesting pip stock. Both shops have friendly staff, I tend to go to maddison as they are local for me and I can pop in and try pips on their robot, but lots of people have complained about bad advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 08:02 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

What a fanastic hijack. I am fully educated and if I'm ever in Spain will certainly look to buy tt gear at the above shops.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 08:08 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Nittaku on one of the threads did say D.techs was a remake of an older Donic rubber...

Well there goes my "something good came out of the frictionless ban" theory.

Null hypothesis "Nothing good came out of the frictionless ban" theory looks to be completely unchallenged.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2009, 18:02 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

About the shops, NO, they're not cheap enough (I keep returning to international internet shops).

Yeah speedplay, that's because they can whine about the glue ban. I think that, if SG was still legal, then they would be still talking about "funny rubbers".

I still think that nothing good came out of this ban, as SG is banned but companies make faster rubbers, friction limit can't be solved so easily. Each ITTF normative forces us (defenders) to go closer to lightside. Just look at the list on this thread, top disturbing pips were already on the market before frictionless started gaining presence, some of them various years before. Even with this FL pip to Anti movement, I wouldn't be surprised if BTY resurrected Sriver-killer :lol:.

I'm curious to ask John Hilton how his play and game was affected by the red/black covering rule.

Thanks god, Adham is trying to protect us (we better not make him want to destroy us!)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2009, 22:03 

Dtecs Grass is a superb rubber. You can do pretty much anything with it apart from a passive block to a spin loop ball. It can wobble all over the place, chops brilliantly from distance and the chop block is particularly vicious. You can hit against back spin, although the ball does not 'sit down' as much at the end of the shot, so you have to be quite accurate. Serves very well and you can get it to flutter on demand.

You do have to get it under control though. Play it on a fast blade and it will burn you.

Highly recommended for active defenders and definitely worth a try if you're not happy with your current set up. I went through about 10+ different LP's after Scalpel was banned and this was the clear winner for me.

More Classic than Modern Defender

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2009, 22:49 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Agreed for mid-distance it is excellent and it is surprising how quickly you learn to control it. Hitting into backspin I found maintained superb control and was one of the best features of the rubber.

Thus ...
Dtechs player: heavy chop with inverted stay mid-distance
Opponent : pushes under the ball
Dtechs player: charge in and hit the ball it'll go fast and drop quickly against the table
Dteachs player: stays at the table to finish the rally

Dtechs player: heavy chop with inverted stay mid-distance
Opponent : goes over the ball with topspin
Dtechs player: stays put and chops with pips

Receiving heavy backspin (servers)
Dtechs player: can push the ball allow it to rise and it will drop suddenly against the end of the table at the last minute
OR
Dtechs player: flat hits fast attack

I suspect and to some extent I've seen this, small flicks with or against the incoming backspin (greatly) affect the return.

In other words, the advantage is that it will play close to the table strokes (albeit a bit too fast) and mid-distance chops. It is likely however that the chops offer worse control against power loops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2009, 00:04 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Konkrete wrote:
TSP 2.5mm Balsa
FH: Grass D-Tecs OX
BH Tackiniess C11 1.7mm.

Thats interesting, it could be that on a very slow balsa blade it works as a close to the table rubber.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 00:27 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Finally got D.techs under control - for the backhand at least. No need to move to a slower blade now.

Once it clicks it plays really well. I need to get the forehand consistency going then I'll start working on the spin manipulation.

D.techs with sponge looks a complete riot. The tension sponge looks dangerous. I'll give it a whirl but I need to start really focussing on getting OX fully playable in the same way I've done previously with Frustration (sponge) and before that Super Block (OX).

It'll need an entire game plan behind it in the end... which will take time to develop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 02:49 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Interesting. Have you gotten the hang of chopping with it?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2009, 01:42 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

It depends what you mean.

In terns of getting the ball back over the net reasonably deep and more or less where I intend it to go.. yes. In terms of understanding how to manipulation the spin on the ball to force an error .. no.

However the rubber alone does alot of damage without knowingly changing the spin around. I should have enough control in the backhand to start moving the spin around now.

The sponged D.techs will take a while to develop. These days girl stuff takes up most of my free time.

PostPosted: 16 May 2009, 04:45 

So is this a chopping rubber that happens to have super disruption to punish backspin? I.E. "keeps the ball low", "disruption" and "great for chopping" sound like a wonder LP to me. This in OX, a la other LP in sponge, chop and hit game.

Or on the other hand is it more of a hitting/blocking LP with crazy disruption, that you can try to make do with chops if you can?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next