OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Nov 2019, 09:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Review: TSP Curl P-H
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 22:01 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Finally got to try this rubbers, and after 2 sessions I thought I'd give a little review.

1. Blade/Style/Level

I tested this on a TSP Balsa Plus 4.5. The sheet was OX red. Although I've always been more of a chopper, I've concentrated a lot on my close to the table blocking game and have tried quite a few LPs for this style, so I've got a few things to compare it to.

2. Physical properties

The sheet is top quality. The pips are very stiff and closely spaced together, and feel very grippy. The whole sheet feels quite stiff, and the basesheet feels quite thick, and comes with an adhesive backing.

3. Speed:

a) The speed of the rubber at low impact, such as return of serves, short pushes is very low... it is one of the slowest, if not THE slowest I've tried.
b) The speed when blocking against fast loops is a little hard to define, due to a quite unique property;
Holding the bat perpendicular to the path of the ball makes it come off at medium speed, a lilttle lower than the average LP. However this pip is quite sensitive to spin (although considerable less at higher impact), forcing you to close the bat a little... and when you do this the ball comes off much slower and the pace gets taken right off, creating a very slow no-spin ball. I think most LPs do this to some extent, but the closely spaces and very stiff pips really makes this stand out! I think this property could easily be exploited, making it quite deceptive.

4. Spin and reversal.

Reversal on this rubber is quite low, although it improves at higher impact. However you can generate quite significant spin with this rubber, among the best I've seen. This property alone seems to draw a lot of errors from my practice partner, partially since he did not expect it...

5. Sensitivity to spin:
The rubber is quite sensitive to incoming spin, but lower at higher impact. Even against backspin you need to be careful as it can grip causing you to land the ball into the net. Hewever when you do adjust, you can return quite a lot of backspin, which is remarkable for a LP.

6. Control:
The slow speed of this rubber gave it very good control, the only think you need to adjust for is some sensitivity to spin. The ability to generate some spin actually gives you more choices of returning the ball, as you can flip or attack the ball as well as block it short.

Chopping against loops gave decent control, but the stiff pips gave it bit bit of a hard feel, whereas I think most people would prefer something softer. However it was quite easy to either chop back heavy or return a float, so perhaps with a bit more practice this could be used quite effectively. Chops came back slow and low, a lot of time my partner could not loop for a second time as it was too short.

7. Other properties
I think one of it's greatest properties was that it was very easy to attack no-spin or slight topspin balls.. a bit of wrist allows you to really grip the ball and actually generate some topspin... in this respect it felt like OX short pips or hardbat.

8. Reference:
I've not come across a pip anything like this... all the really grippy LPs seems to be very soft.

Post subject: Re: Review: TSP Curl P-H
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2009, 23:06 
Super User

In my opinion, P-H is very close to Se7en Block and Punto.

Blade: Dotec Ovtcharov All +

FH: Friendship 802-40 2mm
BH: DMS Transformer 1mm

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 07:06 
None Shall Pass!
None Shall Pass!

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Firewall +
FH: DHS G888 1.8mm
BH: Dragon Talon NT OX
Capoblanco wrote:

I find the SE7EN pips much softer and much better against hard shots.. I tried P-H for a few mins and it worked great for blocking medium speed shots but I'd always block long against hard shots..

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 09:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Capoblanco wrote:

I've tried both of those, and found them quite different. The TSP is slower and grippier, and can generate much more spin. Against harder loops you do indeed have to close the bat more, but the more you close it the slower it comes back...

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 21:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

"almost" ??? So what exactly will it take? :twisted: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2009, 22:14 
Super User

Is TSP Curl P-H slower or faster than Meteor 8512? How does it compare with Meteorite or Giant long regarding the speed, feel and control?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 20:14 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

The P-H is definitely slow than all of those. It feels stiffer and grippier. Control is quite good but the spin reversal is low.

I was just thinking that with sponge this rubber could be even spinnier...

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 22:33 
Super User

Haggisv, thanks for the information about TSP Curl P-H. Will it be OK to arrange it on FW Plus?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 08:03 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm sure it will work OK on the FW+, but it depends a little on what style you want to play with it...

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 17:03 
Super User

Thanks Alex - Great review!

You tell us of the sensitivity to the incoming spin. I could be that the Balsa Plus 4.5 is to fast (rebound) for this rubber. The hard and stiff pimples generate a very short contact time with the ball. Has the bat too much rebound there are problems to control the incoming spin. That could be the same reason for the less reversal, that need a certain amount of contact time. I suppose that a very slow blade is perfect for this rubber: Donic Defplay Senso, Yinhe 980, Joola T. Hold
I've got the Curl P-H with me and want to test it on one of this blades.

my equipment: old school hardbat table tennis and fun

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 17:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks martinspin!

No the pimples are very grippy, I noticed this even before I put it onto the blade.. I'm sure the blade does contribute, but the rebound on the TSP 4.5 is not that high anyway... the blade is rated around ALL.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 18:42 
Super User

From the description so far I don't see an advantage over any other ( slow ) SP's which might have even more control and attack possibilities, huh ?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 23:50 
Super User

I think that TSP Curl P-H (OX) will be suitable for a player who likes to attack with a long pimple rubber. This conclusion is arrived at by having this rubber on FW Plus. As a result of this, I decided to stay with Meteor as it allows me to chop, block and attack.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 06:16 
Super User

I've tested this evening the Curl PH with a thin sponge on a T. Hold, because I wanted to get to know how this rubber behaves in passive play. I was not quite smart, what I should do with the coating. Block balls can be varied in speed. Halflong placements are good, as long as I don't get any hard balls. In hard attack balls, I felt very insecure as difficult to control. I tried to play long defense. The control is better. The reverse is pretty bad (if the timing is not very good). The coating does not own much pace and should be played very active. Pushing is quit good because of the grippy pimples. Returns wasn't good because of the grippy surface. I didn't estimated a real strengths but also I can't see a great weaknesses. The coating will probably have its strength if you can handle the opponent's attack with tempo-controlled balls and if you take any chance to attack by yourself with your strong forehand.

@Alex
I could not detect a special weakness to the incoming spin. On the T. Hold the control is rather good. For me it's much more difficult to attack incoming dead balls, because the rubber is quite slow. I made much better expreriences with the Amsir Flutter, who can handle the incoming speed und spin very controlled and the attacking qualities are much better.

my equipment: old school hardbat table tennis and fun

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2009, 06:26 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: Grubba ALL+
FH: Reflectoid 1mm
BH: DG ox, TM ox
mspin, have you ever seen any ox pips that work well with the T.Hold?

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you.
Homer J. Simpson