OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 23:05 

Extraordinary interview with many insights.

Thank you for sharing!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2021, 23:06 

jazzcomp wrote:
Mima ito - absolute crushed Han Ying (LP). Just saying.

What´s the point? Ito doesn´t chop at all.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 21:49 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
Def-attack wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:
Han Ying uses Spectol, short pips

By the way she played, i thought it was long especially against Chen Meng and others.

Then it shows you can chop with it similar with Hou Yingchao.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 21:55 

Blade: BTY Gergely
FH: Rasanter 47
BH: Fastarc G-1
ClausTrophobie wrote:
jazzcomp wrote:

What´s the point? Ito doesn´t chop at all.

My mistake. I was mainly just thinking of LP vs SP and not the chopping aspect. Also thinking of overcoming the chop of long pips with short pips.

No point made. :P

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 22:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
0x556c69 wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
The latest short-pips-are-not-suited-for-chopping-threads are not about facts, I think it's more of a religious thing with tobara, hubeer et. al.

They could listen to the master himself, here he explains why he's chosen short pips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuyyA4sV6sI? But yeah, I remember - he would have been better off chopping with long pips. Those guys from CNT have no idea of table tennis...

:party: beware: irony :party:

I agree it is not about facts, it is about experience. As a player who learned to chop with LP in their late 30s or so and tried to go to SP I found it impossible. I know a number of excellent SP choppers exist, but they started SO much earlier in life and frankly play the game on a level that I can't even begin to match. I will modify it to say, unless you are a junior and/or have CNT status that SP are one of the worst options to play chopping.

edit: After watching the full interview (which was excellent, thank you for posting!!!) I have to add that he essentially agrees that SP are difficult to chop with. But as well LP have their limitations. Seems like we have come full circle.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 06:48 
Super User

Blade: Nittaku: Shake Defense
FH: Andro: Rasanter R48 1.7mm
BH: Spinlord: Leviathan 1A ox
Hi Mods,

There has been a lot of spam accounts popping up from the same troller recently. Goes under multiple names but always has the same rant. Please look into it. Posts under the names Ash, Elizabeth, hubeer, Tobara and speedglueisgodsgift.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 10:36 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Rob M wrote:
Hi Mods,

There has been a lot of spam accounts popping up from the same troller recently. Goes under multiple names but always has the same rant. Please look into it. Posts under the names Ash, Elizabeth, hubeer, Tobara and speedglueisgodsgift.

Thank you Rob M, you're right. It's the same user that keeps creating new accounts after being banned.

It's extremely rare for anyone to be banned, but once they're banned, it's the actual person that's banned, not just their account, so as soon as we recognise another one of their accounts, it will also be banned and content deleted. It's sad when someone clearly very knowledgeable and passionate about table tennis needs to be banned, but I believe it's clearly in the interest of this community, to keep discussions friendly, respectful and constructive.

Please report it when you spot another account.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2021, 16:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yeah, we all know who it is, too.. :lol: Pretty obvious.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 09:20 
Super User

0x556c69 wrote:
Def-attack wrote:
The latest short-pips-are-not-suited-for-chopping-threads are not about facts, I think it's more of a religious thing with tobara, hubeer et. al.

They could listen to the master himself, here he explains why he's chosen short pips: ? But yeah, I remember - he would have been better off chopping with long pips. Those guys from CNT have no idea of table tennis...

:party: beware: irony :party:

Spectol blue not old spectol

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2021, 00:54 

Blade: DHS PG7
FH: DHS 651
BH: 1 sided (Red covering)
Well physics-wise, cmiiw though

SPs are less sensitive to spin

LPs are even less, however, it reverses the spin and acts like a mirror effect, causing it to be easier to manipulate thus playing variations are less possible (My area has an insane LP population, I'd say 10-15% play LP)

By choosing more spinny SPs, more variations are possible, and by using SPs, we needn't worry to much about reading spin as it is less sensitive, it would logically mean that SP chopping is possible.

I am a SP penholder, and I throw a chop FH once or twice a match (not set) to surprise the opponent with a knuckle ball, and they poorly return it from misreading.

And when I play against an LP blocker/chopper, I feel more easy knowing I them spins and getting reversed yet not needing to worry as much from my SP insensitivity level [EYES]

Let me just summarize my whole post
"Get good and beat opponents"

Sent from my RMX2002 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2021, 03:02 

tobara wrote:
So to summarize, short pips for chopping is a moronic fantasy and or psychotic approval seeking behavior. Please please end this. Please switch to improved high Aspect Ratio long-pips rubbers are now readily available.

From the tone and cursory presentation of this thread, I have a hard time believing you wrote this out of generosity. It seems more like approval seeking behavior lol...

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2021, 07:52 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
I've chopped with SPs in a few of my country Premier division league matches.

Truth is, it's just too hard. The margin for error on a SP chop against any kind of spin is way too low. Little half-chops when you're out of position just don't work.

I find them fun to play with against lower spin players, but again, I don't really chop much with them - just use them to attack on my backhand.

I love the idea of chopping with SPs because a massive sidespin chop is hugely satisfying, and the ability to vary the spin of ANY chop or push is really appealing. Absolutely pointless if you can't do it consistently though.

Defending is hard enough as it is with LPs. It's no surprise or coincidence to me that so few male SP choppers exist in the top ~250 WRs.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2021, 00:13 

Blade: Butterfly Diode V
FH: Dignics 09c - 2.1 (black)
BH: Feint Long 2 - 1.1 (red)
I have a bold statement that I hope others with agree with or refute based on their actual experience (and not what they've read or think should happen): Short pips offer more options close to the table than (sponged) long pips.

Background: I switched from a double-sided attacking game with smooth rubbers to a modern defensive style about a year ago. Initially, I liked OX long pips for the variation and control when playing close to the table (my training and instincts from being an attacking player means I'm still more comfortable close to the table). As I've gotten more accustomed to the chopping style (push the serve with backspin and step back from the table to begin defending), I've discovered OX LPs don't support this as well (pushing a backspin serve and producing backspin is hard with OX, and with no sponge, strong loops are hard to chop back onto the table ). Moving to sponged long pips has helped pushing and chopping, but there is no threat of a surprise attack. As long as the opponent keeps hitting shots to my backhand (loops or pushes), I can only play defensively (bumping with Feint Long 3 doesn't work so well). Sometimes I will step around to use my FH, but this leaves my wide FH corner open. So are short pips the answer? I will be able to push heavy over the table, but I can also hit a loose serve. During the rally, I have the option to chop from a few feet off the table or step in for the BH punch. Also, a short pips block should be a better option than blocking with FL3.

So in theory, I'm giving up some ease with chopping, but gaining more attacking options and new ways to handle the constant stream of balls coming to my backhand. My goal is to be able to chop as a primary strategy against loops to my BH, but also have some options. I have a paddle with short pips on it that I will try out today, so I should be able to report my findings soon.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2021, 04:23 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
BauerPower wrote:
I have a bold statement that I hope others with agree with or refute based on their actual experience (and not what they've read or think should happen): Short pips offer more options close to the table than (sponged) long pips.

Background: I switched from a double-sided attacking game with smooth rubbers to a modern defensive style about a year ago. Initially, I liked OX long pips for the variation and control when playing close to the table (my training and instincts from being an attacking player means I'm still more comfortable close to the table). As I've gotten more accustomed to the chopping style (push the serve with backspin and step back from the table to begin defending), I've discovered OX LPs don't support this as well (pushing a backspin serve and producing backspin is hard with OX, and with no sponge, strong loops are hard to chop back onto the table ). Moving to sponged long pips has helped pushing and chopping, but there is no threat of a surprise attack. As long as the opponent keeps hitting shots to my backhand (loops or pushes), I can only play defensively (bumping with Feint Long 3 doesn't work so well). Sometimes I will step around to use my FH, but this leaves my wide FH corner open. So are short pips the answer? I will be able to push heavy over the table, but I can also hit a loose serve. During the rally, I have the option to chop from a few feet off the table or step in for the BH punch. Also, a short pips block should be a better option than blocking with FL3.

So in theory, I'm giving up some ease with chopping, but gaining more attacking options and new ways to handle the constant stream of balls coming to my backhand. My goal is to be able to chop as a primary strategy against loops to my BH, but also have some options. I have a paddle with short pips on it that I will try out today, so I should be able to report my findings soon.

Sounds like you're battling players without strong loops, or at least don't use them consistently.

Of course SP offers more options as far as spin and attacking go... but ONCE people start looping heavy at you, all of those advantages go away! Then all of the problems discussed here pop up and you won't be able to chop nearly as effectively or efficiently with SP.

If you don't encounter those kinds of players, and don't plan to, then you might as well stick with SP. Scaling up is a whole different story!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2021, 01:03 

Blade: Butterfly Diode V
FH: Dignics 09c - 2.1 (black)
BH: Feint Long 2 - 1.1 (red)
skilless_slapper wrote:
BauerPower wrote:

Sounds like you're battling players without strong loops, or at least don't use them consistently.

Of course SP offers more options as far as spin and attacking go... but ONCE people start looping heavy at you, all of those advantages go away! Then all of the problems discussed here pop up and you won't be able to chop nearly as effectively or efficiently with SP.

If you don't encounter those kinds of players, and don't plan to, then you might as well stick with SP. Scaling up is a whole different story!

Yes, that ended up being the problem. I wasn't able to chop as easily as I wanted. Pushing was good, but even the blocking wasn't quite what I was hoping for.

What I'm really wanting is a long pip that gives me a lot of options on the receive and during rallies. A lot of my time spent playing is at work during lunch, and the room is not quite large enough to be a true chopper (maybe 6-8 feet is the furthest I can get back from the table before I hit a wall), so short game, blocking, and hitting are major facets of my game in addition to chopping. OX pips (my favorite was Palio CK531a) were good in the short game, but lacked control in pushing sometimes and chopping against backspin balls was not great. My next experiment will be with a hard and stiff LP, TSP Curl P-H, but with the 1.5mm sponge to let me have some spin variation.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!