OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 03:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chopping short pips?
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 12:47 

I chop with BTY Speedy P O on BH from mid distance once forced back further from table, using more side chops like Hou to force misjudgement by opponent. it has variation in spins and is quite spinny too.

Blade: Stiga rosewood7 FH: 563-1BH: TSP Spectol

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 05:52 

artem.tamazov wrote:
artem.tamazov wrote:
ilikepie wrote:
would the DAWEI butter or AIR zero sponges work well under short pip topsheets?
Today I tried 802 with 1.5 sponge taken from Feint Soft. I am thinking that this sponge is quite like AIR zero (colestt.com). At least my sponge is soft but NOT springy, and this is how AIR Zero is described at colestt. ...
Well, on this sponge 802 bevanes very similar to ordinary inverted rubber. Easy to block, but -- NOT suitable for chopping against spinny top-spins at all. It is too sensitive to the incoming spin! For example, it is easier to chop by Tenergy 64 1.9 (which I have on other side) than by 802 on Feint Soft 1.5 sponge. And it is unable to produce enough spin variation. Finally, I do not recommend using it for chopping.
Also I am going to experiment also with TSP Spectol top sheet + Feint Soft 1.5 sponge today.
IMPORTANT UPDATE: Results highly depend on blade!
  • On BTY Innershield and TSP Balsa Glassfiber 3.5, pips with medium-hard sponge play quite well (e.g. 802 on 729 orange or Spectol Speed (white sponge)).
  • The same pips are not good on Donic Defplay Senso!
  • However, TSP Spectol top sheet + Feint Soft 1.5 sponge combination works very good on Donic Defplay Senso.
  • Note that ultra-soft sponge is NOT suitable for chopping on Innershield for sure (with both 802 and Spectol topsheets, I tried both).

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2011, 09:24 
The aPPrentice
The aPPrentice

artem.tamazov wrote:
artem.tamazov wrote:
ilikepie wrote:
would the DAWEI butter or AIR zero sponges work well under short pip topsheets?
Today I tried 802 with 1.5 sponge taken from Feint Soft. I am thinking that this sponge is quite like AIR zero (colestt.com). At least my sponge is soft but NOT springy, and this is how AIR Zero is described at colestt. Results seems to be excellent, but I have to check this during tournament (this Sunday, I hope).
Well, on this sponge 802 bevanes very similar to ordinary inverter rubber. Easy to block, but -- NOT suitable for chopping against spinny top-spins at all. It is too sensitive to the incoming spin! For example, it is easier to chop by Tenergy 64 1.9 (which I have on other side) than by 802 on Feint Soft 1.5 sponge. And it is unable to produce enough spin variation. Finally, I do not recommend using it for chopping.

Results for DAWEI Butter sponge may be different, but I am almost sure that 802 on it will behave very similar to 802 on Feint Soft 1.5 (which, again, should be quite like AIR zero, I guess).

So far, the best 802 combination for chopping I know is tack-speed version (comes standard on 729 orange sponge).

Also I am going to experiment also with TSP Spectol top sheet + Feint Soft 1.5 sponge today.

The AIR zerop sponge is softer than the 25 degree sponge on feint soft, its like a foam. its so soft it feels hard.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 16:55 

artem.tamazov wrote:
artem.tamazov wrote:
...I am going to experiment also with TSP Spectol top sheet + Feint Soft 1.5 sponge today.
UPDATE: Results highly depend on blade![/color]
  • On BTY Innershield and TSP Balsa Glassfiber 3.5, pips with medium-hard sponge play quite well (e.g. 802 on 729 orange or Spectol Speed (white sponge)).
  • The same pips are not good on Donic Defplay Senso!
  • However, TSP Spectol top sheet + Feint Soft 1.5 sponge combination works very good on Donic Defplay Senso.
  • Note that ultra-soft sponge is NOT suitable for chopping on Innershield for sure (with both 802 and Spectol topsheets, I tried both).
Next update:
  • The best setup for my BH so far is Donic Defplay Senso + TSP Spectol Speed 1.5
  • Donic Defplay Senso + TSP Spectol top sheet on top of Feint Soft 1.5 sponge is also OK but this "custom" rubber is very critical to the hardness of blade, so I decided to stop experimenting with it.
Now I am trying Armstrong rubbers (Donic Defplay Senso, BH):
  • Attack8 EXX 2.5 (~1.2mm 40 deg)
  • Attack8 EXX PZC-SP 3.0 (~1.7mm 25 deg)
  • W-alpha EXX PZC-SP 3.0 (~1.8mm 25 deg)
I am going to publish update as soon as I feel confident with those pips; stay tuned! ; )

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2011, 21:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
What does Irene Ivancan use for her SP chopping? How about Li Qian? What they use may give you some idea of what works for them and may apply to your game. I am pretty sure both use SP on their BH.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 10:37 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I've read that ivanican uses challenger chop...Not easy to get in the US :n: Not sure what the others use.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 10:50 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

tabesamis wrote:
I've read that ivanican uses challenger chop...Not easy to get in the US :n: Not sure what the others use.

I heard that challenger chop has been discontinued

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2011, 11:00 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I think Ivancan uses Challenger Attack topsheet with a special soft sponge, a lot of the short pip choppers use 802 with a special custom sponge.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2011, 17:11 
Debonair Deception
Debonair Deception

mynamenotbob wrote:
I think Ivancan uses Challenger Attack topsheet with a special soft sponge, a lot of the short pip choppers use 802 with a special custom sponge.

Sir, is it like the special chop sponge underneath Yuto's TSP Spinpips?
Are defensive rubbers work best in soft sponge? Or is it more forgiving when the sponge is harder?

Thanks in advance :)

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 03:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

THREAD resurrection!!

Has anyone tried friendship/729 799 for chopping? What sponge. I do not see any good long reviews, only a quick mention here and there after a search. TIA.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2014, 08:20 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
vanjr wrote:
THREAD resurrection!!

Has anyone tried friendship/729 799 for chopping? What sponge. I do not see any good long reviews, only a quick mention here and there after a search. TIA.

I use it in 1.5. Just started recently though (2 hrs this far). Works good, comming from Feint Long II 1.1 mm. It is more grippy of course and a little faster. But still deceptive and ok to attack with. Tomorrow I will try 802 with a soft 1.0 sponge. I tried it in 1.5 original sponge but it was a little too fast and grippy. 799 is a good place to start I guess. But I will be aiming at 802.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 18:00 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Now I have one more session. I think this rubber works great for chopping but since I don't have much experience with SP chopping I can't say what the benefits with this particular rubber is. But you can generate lots of spin on chops and also make low spin chops. But I guess that it is easier to change between those two with other SP like 802. But 799 is probably easier to control in general.
Pushing over the table might be the weak spot of this SP. Difficult to generate any spin there. But that tricks opponents very much :) This SP actually behaves, in some ways, similar to a grippy LP but pips are harder and faster.
Here is a short clip of me pushing and chopping with 799 1.5 mm: http://youtu.be/QPV8F_RVN5Y

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2014, 23:37 
Super User

I've tried chopping with many different SPs and sponge thicknesses. Honestly, I think 1.5 is the best, though it may seem thick coming from LPs. It may also make you think of trying a regular sized blade instead of a defensive blade, b/c of the extra weight.

What I found is each SP has its weaknesses and strengths and none outshined the others. I found Spectol 1.4 - 1.7 to be the best. Superspin Pips were unpredictable.... 802 as well.

The problem with 1.1mm (Spectol) is that it doesn't spin as much, it bottoms out immediately in any close to the table action (so forget about hitting and blocking reliably) and frankly the thicker sponge is more controllable and pushes are much heavier.

I ultimately went back to LPs b/c SP requires a much more active game, where you run back faster to get into position and your footwork must be better. For the younger, athletic types, I think it's a great way to go. But I'm 40 and overweight, so I'm sticking with something where I don't need to run around like a madman.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 00:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Anyone who is using SP for chopping or trying it out. Are you using the same defensive blade or are you going to a more regular sized head? All my defensive blades are oversized.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2014, 01:13 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

vanjr wrote:
Anyone who is using SP for chopping or trying it out. Are you using the same defensive blade or are you going to a more regular sized head? All my defensive blades are oversized.

I use the same blade as with LP. Gives good control, dwell time and spin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next