OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 17:46 
Super User

Blade: Barna Original Triumph
FH: Yasaka Rakza PO max.
BH: DMS Störkraft 0.8
Bulldog wrote:
It certainly sounds too quick for my backhand

depends on your blade. mine was a fast carbon blade

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 23:01 
Super User

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: Joola Dynaryz ZGR
BH: Tibhar Grass DTecS
I am currently using Dr Neubauer Hercules so I think it would be too fast. I have seen your play with Spinparasite and you are at a different level to me! I do have a big forehand smash and could handle the Killer even if I used it with 2.2 mm of sponge.

Bulldog

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 23:09 
Super User

hercules is far slower than the blade i used....so it shouldnt be a problem then

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2014, 23:25 
Super User

Thank you for your advice. I am going to wait until the next summer break to make any further changes.

Bulldog.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2014, 09:08 
Super User

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2014, 22:14 

Hi,
I just found your great review about Killer. Myself I'm playing now with a red Thibhar SpeedySoft Dtecs 1.5 on my BH. Do you know this rubber? If yes, would it be possible for you t compare a 1.5 Killer with a similar SppdySoft DTecs ? Reading the review I have a feeling that thses two rubber are very similar.
Thanks in advance
Albur

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2014, 05:56 
Super User

albur wrote:
Hi,
I just found your great review about Killer. Myself I'm playing now with a red Thibhar SpeedySoft Dtecs 1.5 on my BH. Do you know this rubber? If yes, would it be possible for you t compare a 1.5 Killer with a similar SppdySoft DTecs ? Reading the review I have a feeling that thses two rubber are very similar.
Thanks in advance
Albur

the last time i played the speedy soft is ages ago! the speedy soft has a slight disruptive effect as the ball tends to fall down when attacking/hitting with it. nut the killer is a lot more disruptive, but harder to control on the other hand. the speedy soft is grippier than the killer.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2014, 12:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks to those who have posted a review of Dr. N's Killer Short Pips.

Anyone else using Killer? I would like to hear from other uses on it is working for them and how to become better at implementing its strengths

I am currently using it on an all-round Ross Leidy blade. I mostly block and flat hit. I am rather amazed that I can use some-what modified inverted-like stokes or short pip strokes and produce decidedly differing returns. I still tend to play close to the table, due to limited mobility. I am using the Killer primarily as a backhand rubber, but hope to beco :angel: me more confident in its exploitation when I twiddle to bring it into play on the forehand.

I really like the rubber for its feel and effectiveness. I find it to be of a very high quality manufacture. I have the 1.3 version in red.

I have played long pips and anti-loop for a long time. I changed to inverted on the backhand and eventually went short-pisI hit and punch with it very well with it. Fast pushes against back spin are very effective as are brush (deviated) blocks. One reviewer remarked that keeping the ball short was sometimes difficult, but my stop (pull black) blocks tend to be very similar to same stroke with long pimples.

I am only about 15 hours into using it, but so far the best tactic I have found is to exchange inverted-like strokes a few times with the Killer and then toss in a punch or even a short, brisk lift stroke, as they generally tend to produce a netted ball or a high-sitter.

Rather amazingly my "clutch or desperation" shots with the Killer are going on the table against hard, quick shots or even against heavy loop strokes.

If there is a downside, at this juncture for me, it is that I have trouble handling smashes, but that, I believe is just my weakness and not the rubber. Initially my pushes with it would go high and long, but I am doing much better with them now.

Enjoying the ride, and as always, "Your Mileage May Vary."
tOD

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 10:44 

I've been using Dr N killer 2.0mm for 2 weeks now, so far I like it a lot. My style is hitting and blocking with long pips and short pips. I use it on my forehand on my firewall+ blade with GD Talon on the backhand. This is the most disruptive SP I've use so far, other than the legend 105 Ive used grippy SP Radical and 802-40. On blocking, it has very good control. Passive blocking you can take off a considerable amount of spin and pace so it will land short on the table. Counter hitting a loop is better than 802-40 in my opinion. I could spin drive and topspin a chopped ball more consistently. On services, it's grippy enough, my opponents couldn't notice the difference which underspin serve is heavier between the killer and the other short pips rubbers I'm using. It's insensitive to spin when receiving serves, it's easier for me to flick short balls. Touch shots I think is it's weakness similar to 802-40 that has a tendency to sail long off the table. Another con is the price, I would not have tried this rubber if I didn't get it for free. If it was priced at 30$, I would not hesitate to buy this rubber.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 21:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

barugi wrote:
I've been using Dr N killer 2.0mm for 2 weeks now, so far I like it a lot. My style is hitting and blocking with long pips and short pips. I use it on my forehand on my firewall+ blade with GD Talon on the backhand. This is the most disruptive SP I've use so far, other than the legend 105 Ive used grippy SP Radical and 802-40. On blocking, it has very good control. Passive blocking you can take off a considerable amount of spin and pace so it will land short on the table. Counter hitting a loop is better than 802-40 in my opinion. I could spin drive and topspin a chopped ball more consistently. On services, it's grippy enough, my opponents couldn't notice the difference which underspin serve is heavier between the killer and the other short pips rubbers I'm using. It's insensitive to spin when receiving serves, it's easier for me to flick short balls. Touch shots I think is it's weakness similar to 802-40 that has a tendency to sail long off the table. Another con is the price, I would not have tried this rubber if I didn't get it for free. If it was priced at 30$, I would not hesitate to buy this rubber.

Many thanks for your response. I use mine primarily on the backhand, but it easy enough to hit with the forehand when I twiddle. I am working on the touch shots, but my fine motor skills have never been first rate. Against chop i mostly hit through the spin, rather and than trying to spin with the rubber. I need to practice the hit against loop, my normal inclination is to block. Active strokes do seem to work best.
tOD

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2014, 21:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Debater wrote:
Thanks for the reply AA, but If it's not really a push, why does he call it pushing?

Is "Killer" capable of generating it's own backspin, or is that only possible by the reversal technique which relies a lot on incoming top spin? Also, if the ball is dropping off the opponents bat, that's usually typical of a no spin ball, which again suggests this rubber isn't capable of generating much spin, yet the reviews seem to suggest it's good at that, especially when people talk about it in the same breath as something like 802-40.

AA, are you saying that the thicker the sponge, the easier it is to control the ball with this rubber and that the thinner sponge version of Killer is more difficult to control? Is this based on your experience of actually using this rubber, or based on your understanding of sponge thickness - I know there are topics on short pimples and sponge thickness.

I'm asking because I need to make sure if your comments are based on your own experience of using this rubber especially when the "decisive factor" as described by Dr Neubaeur's own site is "the disruptive effect obtained" which only seems to be present in the 1.5mm version. If this is the case, it seem to me to defeat the purpose of selling this rubber with a sponge greater than 1.5mm as other rubbers are better placed to generate spin with thicker sponges and it loses it's main weapon - the disruptive effect.

Cheers.

I have been using the 1.3mm for about a three weeks, practicing 6 or 7 days a week. It was a steep learning curve for me. I have only had a couple of really heavy spinners to practice with or against, but passive blocking with the killer produces a progressively more "odd" return when they are able to loop more than a couple of times.

I have found that a very delicate touch or a very precise/crisp stroke seem to work best.

Against heavy loops with massive side spin a simple stop (pull-off) block gives me the ability to return the ball in a very controlled fashion with little regard that plagued me, even with long pips. I assume I am doing some little bit of deviation in conjunction with stop-block intuitively rather than consciously.

I am happy with my purchase. I am using the rubber in red, primarily on my backhand, but twiddling to my forehand has been relatively seamless.
tOD

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 07:16 
Super User

Hi the Old Duffer,

How have you found Killer for service return?

Bulldog.

Last edited by Bulldog on 01 Dec 2014, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 12:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Bulldog wrote:
Hi the Old Duffer,

How have you found Killer for service return?

Bulldog.[/u]

I think it is great, the rubber allows active and passive returns and it seems very easy to manipulate the spin on the ball. I am using the 1.3, but when I measured it the thickness was closer to 1.2, I think
tOD

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2014, 17:13 
Super User

Thank you. I am considering 1.5mm as I want to use the rubber quite aggressively.

Bulldog

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2015, 03:28 

Blade: Neub. Matador Texa Carbon
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 2.0
BH: Dr Neub Desperado OX
Are there still players that use the Killer in 1.5 on backhand ?

- Is it good for opening against chopped balls ?
- Is it deceptive when you block with it / good sinking effect ? or is it to easy for the opponent.
- Can you chop with it if you are away from the table (when in trouble, i know you have to play close to the table with med pip)
and gives it some reversal or is it more a no spin ball the will produce it ?

Great reviews by the way, thx.
Just looking for more and new opinions.