OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 23:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I ordered two sheets of Friendship 802, red, 1.2 mm, and a 1.5mm red, with eacheng.net and was surprised when it turned out they had a completely new type of sponge. When you order in W-Europe, you get the 802 with the standard orange allround sponge (i.e. Tack-speed version); but until now, when ordering in China, I got a denser and more elastic white sponge hich reacted very strongly to speed-glue and rubber-cement, but not of course to water-based glue. This new sponge is a creamy yellow, very soft, porous, and seems to be glued to the topsheets with some kind of tension, because all the sheets curl up (sponge inside, pips outside). I am not sure if it is intended for use with water-based glue (like the Mystery sponges), which I don't use; I use rubber cement to attach the rubbers (no speed-glueing). The cement stretched them a bit and flattened them. The speed of these new 802's is at least as high as the speed of the old type, possibly higher, and because of the softness of the sponge there is also some more spin to be had. It plays more or less like the Mystery III version, but there is less sensitivity to incoming spin (and the Mystery sheets don't curl up). I am quite happy with them, but I am not sure if this is just a single batch, or if it is here to stay...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 06:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
In the USA the 802 (from Zeropong) still has the medium density, cream colored sponge. It's quite light and porous. I ordered it in 1.0mm 2 months ago.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2014, 02:11 

Kees wrote:
I ordered two sheets of Friendship 802, red, 1.2 mm, and a 1.5mm red, with eacheng.net and was surprised when it turned out they had a completely new type of sponge. When you order in W-Europe, you get the 802 with the standard orange allround sponge (i.e. Tack-speed version); but until now, when ordering in China, I got a denser and more elastic white sponge hich reacted very strongly to speed-glue and rubber-cement, but not of course to water-based glue. This new sponge is a creamy yellow, very soft, porous, and seems to be glued to the topsheets with some kind of tension, because all the sheets curl up (sponge inside, pips outside). I am not sure if it is intended for use with water-based glue (like the Mystery sponges), which I don't use; I use rubber cement to attach the rubbers (no speed-glueing). The cement stretched them a bit and flattened them. The speed of these new 802's is at least as high as the speed of the old type, possibly higher, and because of the softness of the sponge there is also some more spin to be had.

Same thing here, I bought a 1.5mm black sheet a month ago from eacheng.net and can agree with Kees comments. I would maybe say the sponge is medium soft though.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2019, 20:44 

About this sponge:

Is it the sponge, which comes with 802-1 (imho RMS-Sponge) or another one? From your description I think it´ a different sponge.

How compares 802 with this sponge to Spinlord Waran? I could imagine both go in the same direction.

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2019, 03:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

802-1? I see it in the LARC but I haven't seen it on AliExpress yet. I see 802 and 802-40. The 802 topsheet is available separately. As for sponge - they've got "Mystery III" for 802 and 802-40 and "Mystery II" for 802-40 only (apparently this is "German sponge"). The 802 Mystery III comes in three different sponge hardnesses:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Sh ... 81301.html

802-40 only comes in 2.2mm, and hardness is "random":

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 80917.html

This from Eacheng "stores".

Mystery II German sponge (802-40):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RITC-72 ... 19101.html

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 01:30 
Super User

There are a whole bunch of different sponges underneath the 802 series and I think "mystery" is an adequate name. These are from recent purchases on the "official" 729 store on TMall:

The newest 802s are all labeled "Mystery III" but comes in 3 varieties (35,38,41 degrees) mostly pale yellow colour although with variations. The 35 degrees is a flat dull yellow, the 41 is pale yellow with a hint of orange tinge etc. All of these are faster than the cream 35 degree 802s I used to order from Zeropong years ago with the 41 degrees having a nice clicky almost Hurricane 3 style pop.

The 802-40s are also labeled "Mystery III" but comes with a much different (IMO better) light pale green sponge. The 38 degrees is fairly porous and softer than the 802's 35 degree, the 42 degree is more traditional and also softer than the 802's 41 degree (go figure). I've given up on 729 sponges because you never know what you get (8 sheets of 802s and 802-40s, none alike), but I do still like and keep the topsheets.

Regarding the Waran, even the softest 802/35 doesn't come close to how soft the Waran sponge is. So, not in the same direction at all. Waran is faster than any 802, but still short of ESN standards. I've posted this elsewhere, but 802 topsheet on a tensor sponge is short pips heaven :rock: .

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2019, 03:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

One wonders how 802-40 plays as a hard rubber (no sponge). I know 802 is sometimes used as such, of course.

Iskandar